You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Final

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat

Ok I'm going to get slagged for this but the SPT final at DTD was IMO a missed opportunity for Sky in so many ways.

TK said come down and see what's going on, I did, so what was going on?.......I arrived on Saturday evening but with the exception of the SPT final there was nothing else to see or do. Sure there were DTD cash games but from what I was told the rake was exorbitant and that was that. It would have been to the benefit of eliminated players and spectators to have Sky organised and run side games, had these been organised and promoted before the event maybe more spectators would have turned up to take part in them.

This was Sky's live showcase event so why not have all the presenters in attendance with the exception of the two required for the Master Cash show. With a full suite of presenters and analysts could the VIP area not have been utilised for live 'take on the presenter' sit and go's and other games? Dealers could have been hired by Sky independently or by prior arrangement with DTD. This was a great opportunity for the site's players to meet their favourite presenters/analysts but only TK and JH were there. According to the DTD site the VIP bar has a capacity of 140 so there should have been room for several tables in this area. The High Roller room could also have been utilised for the benefit of both Sky and its players. Players at the event were keen to play sit and go's with a presenter as was proved by the rush to James Hartigan's table when it was available after 11pm.

This event was also a great opportunity for Sky Poker merchandise to be made available but there was none on sale. The crew were wearing Sky t-shirts, surely it is not beyond the scope of a company the size of Sky to create and bring merchandise to its premier live poker event?

To create a greater attendance the top 50 players from tourney, cash and sit and go's could have been invited to attend as a thank you for their support for the site and from Sky's point of view to build a closer relationship with their most valuable customers. Other players wishing to attend and play the side games could have registered on the site to do so. DTD would have benefited from this with more visitors and greater drink/food sales, no doubt some of these players would have drifted into the DTD cash games at some point.

As it was Sky players appeared to represent at least 50% of the people in the club so this must carry some weight in negotiating the event Sky wishes to hold.

All in all a disappointing night, I can see no reason to attend again until there is more to see and do, after all how long can anyone watch a card game without getting involved in one themselves?!

Comments

• edited September 2010
    whilst you may raise some valid points about what more sky could have done with regards to selling and other fun tourny stuff, the presenters/analysts were all easily accessible and great value at the games!

the rake in dtd games are more than fair and better than alot of venues so your gripes are pretty unfounded and unfair on that front.

sky doesn't have it's own dealers or blow through staff to just run games and dtd would most likely not allow stuff run by other people.