You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live poker " Protecting your cards "

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
A situation arose at the weekend which in my years playing have never witnessed and say to anyone please please protect your hand, it's so so important...

Venue DTD friday night Deep stack £60 freezeout.  We were already 4-5 hours into this tournament and the field of 102 was now down to 17.  Action was folded round to me on the button, std raise with the monster of Q8,  SB annouces " I'm all in " ( 22k ) , BB announces " I'm all in "  ( 12k ), at this point as the decision was back on me, some confusion rose between dealer and BB.  At which point it concluded the dealer had by mistake MUCKED the BB's hand. I eventually folded which ended up with the SB winning the pot uncontested and the BB was out without seeing a showdown.  Had the players cards been protected then his hand would never have ended up in the muck. How this happened I will never know just a lapse of concentration from the dealer.

The guy was understandably very upset, as he had played for 4-5 hrs and to be out in such a way obviously sucks.

I wonder what is the ruling if the cards were protected and the dealer still manages to muck his cards??? Anyone know??

GB

Comments

• SPTSPT
    edited September 2010
    It sucks, but the hand is still dead. I have seen it happen. Sadly a dealer error does not change the situation.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Live poker " Protecting your cards ":
    It sucks, but the hand is still dead. I have seen it happen. Sadly a dealer error does not change the situation.
    Posted by SPT
    this
  • edited September 2010
    a lot of card rooms would let the player tell the dealer his two cards so if they are in the muck he can play the hand(only if he protected them tho)
  • edited September 2010
    if he had a chip on his cards it would be alot harder for dealer to have a mare.

in seats 1/9 you need to be ready to punch the dealer in the face if he looks tired and is about to muck your cards when you're still in a hand!

dealer error is a rare (hopefully) occurrence but something you have to be ready for.

I've seen some ridic errors before, we had a funny one at DTD whereby the flop action wasn't complete but the turn was burnt and turned (the dealer should therefore burn and turn the river to keep that 'right' then reshuffle the turn card into the deck and redeal the turn without a burn. However with lots of people saying stuff the dealer got confused and burnt and turned the river face up out of habit lol.

so now everyone is like woah  norrrr oh dears etc. and it takes a few exclamations of 'prob needs da floor mate' before he stops listening the tables rulings and gets a floor ruling!

Was fun trying to work out what card was where and why!

Saw an even better one at the SPT manc they'd put a new dealer on a cash game basically without training him it looked like,  I proceed to watch him preside over a pot where one guy moves in and the other calls, they both push all their chips out and he just insta dumps them all into the middle without counting anything or providing change for those who had folded pre. was one of the biggest messes i've ever seen!!!!!

fun times.
  • edited September 2010
    A few months ago, I had noticed the dealer had missed dealt, dealer had started dealer from the BB not the SB,  I pointed this out to her,  SHe said it was a miss deal and mucked my cards along with the other players that had folded.  

Unfortunately one player had already bet into the pot so the hand was declared live,  unfortunately my hand was mucked before I could make a decision to play, so I was out of the hand.  

Since then I have made sure I use a card protector,  If you search the forum, you may even find a picture of it ;o)

• edited September 2010
    A few months ago, I had noticed the dealer had missed dealt, dealer had started dealer from the BB not the SB,  I pointed this out to her,  SHe said it was a miss deal and mucked my cards along with the other players that had folded.   Unfortunately one player had already bet into the pot so the hand was declared live,  unfortunately my hand was mucked before I could make a decision to play, so I was out of the hand.   Since then I have made sure I use a card protector,  If you search the forum, you may even find a picture of it ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    surely if its a mis-deal all hands are dead ?    dealer error x 2
  • edited September 2010
    Apparently , because someone had bet into the pot, it made it live 

Or at least that was the decision made by the Card Room Manager
  • edited September 2010
    When im in the blinds i always put a chip on my cards (if i haven't brought my card protector)

Also, totally unrelated, but i always wait until the button has acted before i even look at my cards when i'm in the blinds.

its just habit.
  • edited September 2010
    Apparently , because someone had bet into the pot, it made it live  Or at least that was the decision made by the Card Room Manager
    Posted by JockBMW
    Yeah your right mate, if action takes place then the hand is live...I went out in a tournament the other day when it should of been a mis-deal but because action had taken place it still ran properly!! Was sick....

I've also had in the SAME tournament, 3 mis deals and each time I had AAs, KKs then QQs....each time the person realised it was a mis deal so I didn't get to keep them....also sick! Lol.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Live poker " Protecting your cards " : Yeah your right mate, if action takes place then the hand is live...I went out in a tournament the other day when it should of been a mis-deal but because action had taken place it still ran properly!! Was sick.... I've also had in the SAME tournament, 3 mis deals and each time I had AAs, KKs then QQs....each time the person realised it was a mis deal so I didn't get to keep them....also sick! Lol.
    Posted by Ads2kuk
    hi ads are u playing your game in the heads up comp )
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Lucky....Yeah we are mate, Thursday evening...will definately be done by then :)
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Lucky....Yeah we are mate, Thursday evening...will definately be done by then :)
    Posted by Ads2kuk
    n1 and gl
  • edited September 2010

I just need to clear up a little confusion in this Thread.

The unfortunate situation is repeatedly described as a "dealer error". It is absolutely & 100% NOT a Dealer Error - it is a "player error", with due respect.

If this is not pointed out, it will happen again & again.

In Live Poker, the following is universally true....

"It is the players responsibility to protect his hand at all times".

If he or she fails so to do, it's no good blaming the Dealer - it is the PLAYERS fault. We need to be accountable to ourselves, & not blame others for our own shortcomings.

It is particularly important to protect one's hand when in Seat 1, or 9/10.

One other Poster asked what happens if one's hand IS protected & the Dealer still accidentally mucks it. If no action has taken place, in this particular circumstance, a good TD will usually allow the accidentally mucked hand to be retrieved from the muck, provided it can be exactly identified (rank AND suit).
  • edited September 2010
    I remember seeing THIS a little while ago, nightmare!
  • edited September 2010
    In the £50 deepy at the spt i was bb in the hand before break...i won the pot and pulled the chips towards me but the dealer was stacking up before change over and told me to leave them so i presumed this was okay and didn't bother counting...the pot i won was 5k including ante's and the blinds 800 pre break and 1200 post break...when i got back from break (i was a few mins late due to repopulating my lungs) my chips hadn't been added and the button hadnt moved by the new dealer so i'd been big blinded out again and the decision stood as action had taken place...maxally told me to breathe :o)

and i owe tk £2.50 and half a poker chip...lol

x
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by Machka

omg not seen this before

i'm physically tilted

dealer needs a kick in the nuts

the worst bit is his instant reaction 'well did YOU protect them?!'

moron!! he's not paying attention, and then the floor are just so dumb its incred.

edit she takes less than 2 seconds to be like wt f you doing

she also cant have a chip on her cards because all her chips are in, imo dealer should be shot. floor should get a kick in the nuts.
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by Machka
    Wow. Thats very unlucky. But I can see now the need to protect your cards
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by Machka
    Nightmare, yes, but, & without even the merest shadow of doubt, this was 100% the player's fault.

It always has been, is, & always will be, the players responsibility to protect their cards.

She leaves her cards some way fom the Rail, & completely unprotected.

The Ruling was correct, & if she has anything at all betwen her ears, she won't make the same mistake again.

We just can't be blaming others for our own mistakes, we are deluding ourselves if we do.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Live poker " Protecting your cards " : Nightmare, yes, but, & without even the merest shadow of doubt, this was 100% the player's fault. It always has been, is, & always will be, the players responsibility to protect their cards. She leaves her cards some way fom the Rail, & completely unprotected. The Ruling was correct, & if she has anything at all betwen her ears, she won't make the same mistake again. We just can't be blaming others for our own mistakes, we are deluding ourselves if we do.
    Posted by Tikay10

To quote the Great Mark Knopfler  "when you point your finger at someone else, there are 3 more fingers pointing back at you"
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Live poker " Protecting your cards " : omg not seen this before i'm physically tilted dealer needs a kick in the nuts the worst bit is his instant reaction 'well did YOU protect them?!' moron!! he's not paying attention, and then the floor are just so dumb its incred. edit she takes less than 2 seconds to be like wt f you doing she also cant have a chip on her cards because all her chips are in, imo dealer should be shot. floor should get a kick in the nuts.
    Posted by beaneh
    Can't have a chip on her cards? Why not? She HAS to protect her cards, instead of leaving them, as she did, wholly unprotected, particularly in one of the 2 most susceptible seats for that error - Seat 9. 

She can protect her hand in any number of ways, & she failed in all of them.

She does not need a chip to protect her cards, she can.....

1) Use a card-protector.

2) Hold her hands on top of her cards, exactly as you or most other sensible players would.

3) It's not usually obligatory to move your chips over the line when All-In - simply stating "I am all-in", verbally acknowledged by the Dealer, suffices more often than not. Serial shovers with mountains of chips would slow the game unacceptably if moving a huge stack back & forth every few hands. So she can place her hand UNDER her stack, whether it is across the bet line or not.

4) Custom & practice allows, when moving all-in, leaving a single (lowest-denom) chip behind, on top of one's hand, to protect it.

She failed to do all or any of those.

Many of the Sky Poker players are or will be newbies to Live Poker, & to my mind, it's very important that they understand the convention in this matter. 

It's one of the few Rules of Poker upon which ALL authorities ageree, particularly the TDA, & Robert's Rules of Poker, which states clearly & simply.....

"You must protect your own hand at all times. Your cards may be protected with your hands, a chip, or other object placed on top of them. If you fail to protect your hand, you will have no redress if it becomes fouled or the dealer accidentally kills it."

I'm not sure, considering all that, how the Dealer becomes a "moron", & we are supposed to sympathise with the player!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Live poker " Protecting your cards " : Can't have a chip on her cards? Why not? She HAS to protect her cards, instead of leaving them, as she did, wholly unprotected, particularly in one of the 2 most susceptible seats for that error - Seat 9.  She can protect her hand in any number of ways, & she failed in all of them. She does not need a chip to protect her cards, she can..... 1) Use a card-protector. 2) Hold her hands on top of her cards, exactly as you or most other sensible players would. 3) It's not usually obligatory to move your chips over the line when All-In - simply stating "I am all-in", verbally acknowledged by the Dealer, suffices more often than not. Serial shovers with mountains of chips would slow the game unacceptably if moving a huge stack back & forth every few hands. So she can place her hand UNDER her stack, whether it is across the bet line or not. 4) Custom & practice allows, when moving all-in, leaving a single (lowest-denom) chip behind, on top of one's hand, to protect it. She failed to do all or any of those. Many of the Sky Poker players are or will be newbies to Live Poker, & to my mind, it's very important that they understand the convention in this matter.  It's one of the few Rules of Poker upon which ALL authorities ageree, particularly the TDA, & Robert's Rules of Poker, which states clearly & simply..... "You must protect your own hand at all times. Your cards may be protected with your hands, a chip, or other object placed on top of them. If you fail to protect your hand, you will have no redress if it becomes fouled or the dealer accidentally kills it." I'm not sure, considering all that, how the Dealer becomes a "moron", & we are supposed to sympathise with the player!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,

I have only ever played online poker and so live poker is a completely new arena to me. 
     Everything you have said makes sense and  the video link in Aaron`s post highlights the importance of making sure your cards are protected. It can mean the difference between `life or death` in a poker tournament and can be a very costly mistake to a player who doesn`t protect their cards.
     Thank you
      xx
  • edited September 2010
    I am a virtual newbie to live poker, and I know to protect my hand with a chip/protector/hands/rhinoceros. If you're playing in a $10,000 tournament, you really ought to know this by now, if not - well it's an expensive lesson.
  • edited September 2010
    I completely believe that it's the players fault.  I've only ever played a few times live and I know to protect my cards at all time.  You would have thought anyone in the WSOP ME would have been around poker long enough to know this.

She's all in and sat with her cards out from, hands completely off the table.  That's crazy.

I swear as the dealer reaches across to muck her cards she looks at his hands as it happens, pauses... and then says something!