You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Not sure where to put this but discussion on limping on tv show

edited November 2010 in Sky Poker Live
I didn't really know where to post this as i've only recently registered with the site, i am watching the show currently and I have to say that i COMPLETELY disagree with everything that has been said on the show today, to the point that I have literally laughed out loud at some comments. I do not say this to be rude but merely to lend some weight to how much i disagree.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with limping, saying you should never limp is rediculous as it is saying you will always play the same way - I have heard you say you love the play every time some one makes an overly aggressive move today.

Why do people limp, a few reasons - player image and past history, if you know how some one will react when you make a move after limping it can be beneficial.

Limping preflop IS NOT PASSIVE, it does not mean you will concede the hand as soon as the flop comes if you miss! With tactics now days soooo many people limp/min raise and do all kinds of crazy things with monsters. Because of this it has opened up alot of potential for representing after a limp or min raise. And indeed getting paid off when people either don't believe you or get irritated with the play and pay you off.

The reason for not playing overly aggressive in late stage tourny is there is no point in trying to get tricky with overconfident online players who will call you down alot of the time. If you raise every time you get a high ace you will more than likely find your stack dwindeling to a small M value and forcing you to shove.

And (taking a hand that just came up as an example) getting into a coinflip for all your stack... there is no need. QQ on AK, i don't mean to sound accusing here, i just want to understand if my take on this is correct - but you come off as wanting to be in this position - where as i would say i would NEVER want to see this.

Racing for my tournament life? I wouldn't be terribly upset if it turned out but i would never WANT to get in a situation where the stacks go in without a board here.

If you could comment on this or discuss i would be very appreciative.

Regards.

Comments

• edited September 2010

You should rarely limp in the later stages.......There are some situations when it will work, but they don't come up very often.

Limping in IS A PASSIVE action. There's no way you or anyone else can argue with this. But I agree that very very rarely, playing a passive style, at the beginning of the hand can be correct.....obviously if there's a maniac to act behind, limping with aces, with the intention of re - raising him is fine?

What sort of hands do you like to limp with? Say you have 30xbb's and are 25th/50 remaining in a 500 runner tournament.

With what hands, in what situations, would you limp in? 

You must be a competent player to have such strong views? Or maybe you just think you are.......

• edited September 2010

Mr Piesk must feel VERY strongly about this, as it is his Maiden Post here (Welcome Sir), but he's Posted the same Post TWICE, on two different Boards!

I've answered the question at length on the other board.

Mr Dohhhhhhh, a "most competent" player, perhaps answered it better though, & he said this.....

"Limping in IS A PASSIVE action. There's no way you or anyone else can argue with this".

He's not wrong.

I'm really befuddled by the whole thing. No successful player, anywhere, ever, will recommend limping as a default play in the later stages of a Tourney.
  • edited November 2010
    well mr piesk u will never win a tourney my friend without winning a few coin flips along the way