You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

'cascading tables'

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat

Watching a video yest, a guy trying to turn $200 into $2k playing sngs, u might know the one.

Anyway, he was playing 10xsngs at once, it took me a while to figure out what was going on, coz he was talking on his vid without any pauses, but he had a new hand everytime he acted! It was like rush poker!

Anyway I figured it out that the table with action was popping up as soon as he had acted on the last.

I tried it this morning playing 5x $1 sng turbos at once, 6 max, and I loved it, although the pressure was off coz I was only playing for pennies, and I knew the structure was just a raffle really......

Question is using this sort of method to play cash games......

Obviously it's gonna be hard/impossible to get reads doing this, as u rarely get to watch a full hand play out. You get moved 2/3/4 secs after u act!

Does anyone use this cascading thing to play cash games??? And if so, is this where hold em manager is a must?

Obv in sit n go's ur playing situations, rarely playing turns and rivers with chips behind, alot is shove/fold.....so maybe thats why u can get away with this method?

I can only fit 3 reasonably sized cash games on my screen on the other site I use, so cud this be the answer?

Comments

• edited September 2010

HEY DOH , HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME JUMPING IN THIS THREAD . MAYBE SOMEONE COULD ANSWER A QUESTION I HAVE CONCERNING THIS .

TRIED CASCADING ONCE . WENT TO RAISE WITH KK ON ONE TABLE ,JUST AS I PRESSED RAISE THE TABLES SWITCHED AND I LANDED UP RAISING WITH JUNK ON ANOTHER. WAS I JUST TO SLOW TO ACT OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING ? PROB. A DUMB QUESTION BUT I COULD NOT FIGURE IT  OUT.
  • edited September 2010

How dare ya !!!

Haha nah Im new to it too pillowman so any advice/opinions/stories much appreciated, think Im addicted already.

Not sure how confident Id be using it against good players for 'proper' money though......

• edited September 2010
    Why have you linked to Cascada??? lol i wanted to see the guy playing 20 sit n gos!
  • edited September 2010
    that singer is well fit innit.......................

didnt think you were a cascada fan dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?? ;)
  • edited September 2010

Ive just played 8 dyms at once.....

Its alot harder doing dyms than normal sit and goes, coz u have to spend time looking round the tables to identify how many players are left, and the stack sizes.

I shoved pocket 9s in the small blind, called by aces in the big blind, when I had a 5xbb stack, not realising a player was sat with less than 1xbb !!!

Normal sit n gos, its about playing ftw, so this aint a problem.

Wow my head hurts.

(Cashed 6/8 btw :)
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 'cascading tables':
    How dare ya !!! Haha nah Im new to it too pillowman so any advice/opinions/stories much appreciated, think Im addicted already. Not sure how confident Id be using it against good players for 'proper' money though......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
        SOZ ;)

GLAD YOU ASK THE QUESTIONS YOU DO , IE. COMPUTERS AND SUCH

I KNOW NOTHING

CANT POST A LINK , CANT COPY AND PASTE , DON'T KNOW WHAT ;)0 , :)p ETC .MEANS

PS. RUBBISH AT POKER TOO ( GOTTA STOP OR I WILL MAKE MYSELF CRY )

• edited September 2010
    Very interesting stuff JJ thanks for this I'm just watching the first one now.
  • edited September 2010

I have a questtion if there is anyone who does this?

How do you cope not seeing the result of the hand? Is it really a major problem and do the software tools out there make it possible for the table to pop up at the outcome of any hand you're involved in?

• edited September 2010
    That did my head in, it's so tempting to manually click back to the table with the big action, but it leads to you missing action on other tables......spose u get used to it.

In the sng's if you are all in, you just hope that the message saying "you have exited the tourny in X place" doesnt come up in the next 40 seconds - this means u've either doubled up, or got the shove through. 

Alot of the time u don't even know if you've been called.....

I spose it helps to avoid being results orientated.- and maybe avoid tilt? as u dont have to watch ur AK get beat by A3o

After each block of 8 games, I clicked the 'tourny results' bit, and checked all my exit hands - really quick and easy to do on this site.......

Having played like 50+ sngs this morning I really don't think it's gonna be a good to play cash.......but heyyyy I didn't know sngs cud be so much fun !

Also.....stagger your sngs.....like start 3, then 5/10/15 (according to the structure of the game u play) mins later another 3 then another...etc, so you don't hit the bubble on 8 tables at once !
  • edited September 2010
    I have a questtion if there is anyone who does this? How do you cope not seeing the result of the hand? Is it really a major problem and do the software tools out there make it possible for the table to pop up at the outcome of any hand you're involved in?
    Posted by JohnConnor

this makes things easier. you cant tilt if you dont see the suckout.

dohhh what is your actual question?

cascading is one technique, tiling is another, stacking is another, i've used all for multi tabling. Hem is helpful but as you haven't got that set up yet it doesn't matter lol.

• edited September 2010

Just looking for an over-view really, from people who have used, whats good/bad, any tips etc? 

Would you advise using it for cash games?

What is stacking?

• edited September 2010
    That did my head in, it's so tempting to manually click back to the table with the big action, but it leads to you missing action on other tables......spose u get used to it. In the sng's if you are all in, you just hope that the message saying "you have exited the tourny in X place" doesnt come up in the next 40 seconds - this means u've either doubled up, or got the shove through.  Alot of the time u don't even know if you've been called..... I spose it helps to avoid being results orientated.- and maybe avoid tilt? as u dont have to watch ur AK get beat by A3o After each block of 8 games, I clicked the 'tourny results' bit, and checked all my exit hands - really quick and easy to do on this site....... Having played like 50+ sngs this morning I really don't think it's gonna be a good to play cash.......but heyyyy I didn't know sngs cud be so much fun ! Also.....stagger your sngs.....like start 3, then 5/10/15 (according to the structure of the game u play) mins later another 3 then another...etc, so you don't hit the bubble on 8 tables at once !
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Wow very interesting stuff mate thanks for the great response. I never even thought that it might reduce tilt and be a good thing but beaneh agrees also so that's good as that is something I have to admit I do struggle with.

Also, thanks for the advice about checking your results after each 'block' and staggering tables. The reason I'm so interested is that I am hoping to start doing this next month and am really looking forward to it now. Impressed that you played over 50 this morning, I am going to hopefully be playing a similar volume to this per day, depending how well I can adapt, in the end, the more the better.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 'cascading tables' : Wow very interesting stuff mate thanks for the great response. I never even thought that it might reduce tilt and be a good thing but beaneh agrees also so that's good as that is something I have to admit I do struggle with. Also, thanks for the advice about checking your results after each 'block' and staggering tables. The reason I'm so interested is that I am hoping to start doing this next month and am really looking forward to it now. Impressed that you played over 50 this morning, I am going to hopefully be playing a similar volume to this per day, depending how well I can adapt, in the end, the more the better.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    w-tf????

Yeh but remember the games I play are turbo/super turbo, but even so in the last half hour ive done another 24.....

U cud do hundreds in a day I reckon.

Great fun tho, but he bubble dynamic in DYM's is hard, identifying how many players r left, assessing the stack sizes, and then the right move, takes me a while.........

Neway the site I was doin it on has three hundred and sixty five in the name, and its in dollars, so if u stick a tenner on u can play about and do some $1 sngs see what u think.

Gl with it neway, im gonna do a block of $5 ens later n see how it goes.
  • edited September 2010
    For the love of all things Holy,  Don't let Lisa Marie read this thread,  Her head will explode 
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 'cascading tables' : w-tf???? Yeh but remember the games I play are turbo/super turbo, but even so in the last half hour ive done another 24..... U cud do hundreds in a day I reckon. Great fun tho, but he bubble dynamic in DYM's is hard, identifying how many players r left, assessing the stack sizes, and then the right move, takes me a while......... Neway the site I was doin it on has three hundred and sixty five in the name, and its in dollars, so if u stick a tenner on u can play about and do some $1 sngs see what u think. Gl with it neway, im gonna do a block of $5 ens later n see how it goes.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ok, thanks once again. I've just been on there and it said 1600 seated I think (650ish currently on here) so I don't know how many tables you could get going at higher stakes? Wouldn't have to be much higher of course if the volume was high enough.

My intention was to go onto one of the huge sites and play 9 man turbo sit and gos (not dyms) Like you said in your op these may be easier to multi-table as your playing 'ftw'. (Btw, I believe stacking is what the bloke in the video is doing, not sure what the exact difference is between this and cascading.

I may well do what you suggested and stick a few quid on to give it a try (I'm always reluctant to register on new sites as I don't want to lose future bonus potential (pretty sad I know). I would also be interested to know your thoughts on big vs small sites. I remember speaking to Ed Giddins at one of the SPTs and he was a big fan of smaller sites due to poorer players etc. I always thought though, in the long run, I would be better off on the huge sites due to the vast player pools and higher variety of games and stakes.
  • edited September 2010
    Just looking for an over-view really, from people who have used, whats good/bad, any tips etc?  Would you advise using it for cash games? What is stacking?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

stacking is all on top of each other, so tables pop up and dissapear after you act. 

it all depends on screen space, what format of game you're playing.

cash I would say tiling>cascading>stacking>1 tabling

sngs ... cascading>stacking>tiling for volume...... tiling>cascading>stacking for low volume

dyms dont care just play lots they easy

MTT .... tiling>cascading>stacking>1 tabling!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 'cascading tables' : w-tf???? Yeh but remember the games I play are turbo/super turbo, but even so in the last half hour ive done another 24..... U cud do hundreds in a day I reckon. Great fun tho, but he bubble dynamic in DYM's is hard, identifying how many players r left, assessing the stack sizes, and then the right move, takes me a while......... Neway the site I was doin it on has three hundred and sixty five in the name, and its in dollars, so if u stick a tenner on u can play about and do some $1 sngs see what u think. Gl with it neway, im gonna do a block of $5 ens later n see how it goes.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

You can play thousands in a day. SNG's are dull. 
  • edited September 2010
    dohhhhhh is this whole thread made just so you can get in the cascading/cascada joke in???
  • edited September 2010

lol !! 

No......I want peoples advice.

Just done 6 x 3.40 9 man sngs on PS!

Requested the info from "the last 6 tournys" and they sent the info to my email within 10 seconds.

2nd, 4th, 6th, 3rd, 8th, and 1ST !!!! ......

....................FOR A PROFIT OF.................... $6 !!!!!!Wooooo

Head really does spin on the bubble though, have no idea who's being shoving what and how often.

• edited September 2010

Here's another question then.

What kind of system (in basic terms I am not so good with computers) do you need to 'stack' a decent number of tables? What I really liked about stacking sit and gos when I first read about it was that I wouldn't need a really complex set-up with multiple monitors. But are there other system requirements or should any modern PC/laptop be able to handle, say, 8 tables? I am also hoping to be running HEM and Table Ninja at the same time.

• edited September 2010
    Here's another question then. What kind of system (in basic terms I am not so good with computers) do you need to 'stack' a decent number of tables? What I really liked about stacking sit and gos when I first read about it was that I wouldn't need a really complex set-up with multiple monitors. But are there other system requirements or should any modern PC/laptop be able to handle, say, 8 tables? I am also hoping to be running HEM and Table Ninja at the same time.
    Posted by JohnConnor

HEM and TN need more resources. but you can easily stack on laptops and small screens as you say.

it's all personal preference.
  • edited September 2010
    Before I came to sky, I would cascade 12-16 cash tables.  Cascading is better than stacking imo as someone mentioned before, if the wrong table pops to front you could end up making a mistake.  Althought this is rare that this happens.  Also you can check on different tables at different times by just finding the corner.
    Be careful about watching ur stackoffs or double ups through without continuing on the table with action as this gets everything out of sync, which depending on sites could lead to you timing out, then sitting out and you wouldnt even know.

It is soo tempting tho.  You would need to go back to that table shortly though because if u have been stacked u will need to reload obv.  There are sites that will flash a msg to the front to tell u, but others that dont so u need to keep checking.

Screen size should not be an issue when cascading, as you can make the overlap as big or small as you like.

And deffo hem/pt is a big help, but tbh ur main figures to look at will be ur standard vpip/pfr/af.

This is obv depending on the amount of tables, but if ur 16 tabling its hard to get the time to delve into ur stats that arent on ur hud to find out what % of time ur oppo 3bet folds etc.

One big drawback with sky is the inability to stack/cascade
  • edited September 2010
    if your playing 12-16 tables you shouldnt need hem to tell you your numbers or those of your regular opponents imo.

you couldn't stack or cascade on sky because of the lack of consistent pop to the front/time bank!