You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Had it with 2p/4p callathons, what level?

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but i've had enough of 2p/4p idiots.

I've started playing and i'm trying to build a bank roll and don't want to spend too much.
But in the low stakes games people just seem to keep calling cos it is so cheap.

I had 7/2 in big blind so got a free look at flop and flopped the trip 2s.
I bet every step of the way, around half the pot and chap next to me just keeps calling.
Turns out he had Q7h and hits the flush on the river.....so bloody frustrating.

And all because at worst it was only 20pence more each street. Had nothing at all and in the face of good sized bets just chased the flush and got lucky.

I know sometimes people will just get lucky but i find it is time and again at this level.

I've been doing well with DYM at around the £3 level, but for cash what level do people think is good for a newish player learning the game that becomes a little more like how it should be??

Thanks

Comments

• edited September 2010

Bet more than half the pot?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Had it with 2p/4p callathons, what level?:
    Bet more than half the pot?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This
  • edited September 2010
    and people calling you with garbage is bad why?

I understand how frustrating it is playing against calling station, but the simple solution is don't think in terms of betting pot or relative to the BB. Instead of doing standard 3x raises, do 7/8/9/10x raises- if you get a premium hand, boost it to 30/40p preflop. You'll still probably get a caller or two, but now you've raised the pot up heavily. If you connect, go to town. If you miss, get out the way.

If you try and maximise the money going in when you have a strong hand, you'll win big 70% of the time. Rarely you'll get called all the way and outdrawn, and rarely everyone will fold, but playing against such stations you'll make money if you play hyper aggressive with the goods.
  • edited September 2010
    agree with Deuceslive - If people are calling with rubbish you will profit in the long run.

Your opponent will get lucky occasionally (and these are the hands you will remember) but if you increase your bet size on every street you will increase your long term profit.