You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding KK QQ JJ 1010

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi

I generally play at the £2 level - Deepstacks & freerolls. Im finding I lose with these hands a lot as at this level it is impossible to stop the rag ace brigade from entering the pot. They will call 5-10x BB reraises or pre-flop raises. I already fold pre flop hands like KQ for this reason.

I also seem to find whenever I have 1 of the above hands an Ace on the flop is almost guaranteed (area 51 anyone?)

Problem is I'm getting drawn in to playing the rag aces myself as otherwise I'm the only person folding pre-flop most of the time.

If I am playing the hands above I'm probably in front pre but after flop against 4/5 oppos I'm almost always beat somewhere.

Only solution Ive found is to bet like 20+BB - then u steal the blinds or get called when ur beat (need to steal a lot of blinds 4 this to work)

Seems only solution is to ditch these hands & only play rag aces & 67 910 43 etc like everyone else

Any advise?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Best advice I can give here is think more rationally. Bear in mind the bad beats are more memorable than when your hand holds up.

I can guarantee right now that aces on the flop don't come as often as you think. If you have KK, carry on raising and pray raggy aces call- of course, you have to be ready to re-evaluate when the A does come, as it will at times. Same goes with QQ/JJ/10-10, but you have to raise more aggressively with the weaker cards to isolate, IMO. QQ is solid, but JJ and 10-10 are a little more vulnerable- there's a large chance of overs coming down which can make you question your hands strength.

I know how you feel regarding raggy ace players and the A hitting, but trust me- it's not as bad long term as you think. If you're playing KK aggressively and getting callers, thank your lucky stars- people mostly fold when I get those kind of premium hands :(
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like a plan to me.

My favourite hand is A6o for exactly this reason. You can limp in and if you miss it has cost you no more than a couple of bb's, but if you hit you can take down a big pocket pair! Also the fact that its offsuit means you have 2 flush draws as well.
  • edited September 2010
    I don't even play AA they always lose!
  • edited September 2010
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding KK QQ JJ 1010:
    Sounds like a plan to me. My favourite hand is A6o for exactly this reason. You can limp in and if you miss it has cost you no more than a couple of bb's, but if you hit you can take down a big pocket pair! Also the fact that its offsuit means you have 2 flush draws as well.
    Posted by yb
    Phil Helmuth Jr?
  • edited September 2010
    Best advice I can give here is think more rationally. Bear in mind the bad beats are more memorable than when your hand holds up. I can guarantee right now that aces on the flop don't come as often as you think. If you have KK, carry on raising and pray raggy aces call- of course, you have to be ready to re-evaluate when the A does come, as it will at times. Same goes with QQ/JJ/10-10, but you have to raise more aggressively with the weaker cards to isolate, IMO. QQ is solid, but JJ and 10-10 are a little more vulnerable- there's a large chance of overs coming down which can make you question your hands strength. I know how you feel regarding raggy ace players and the A hitting, but trust me- it's not as bad long term as you think. If you're playing KK aggressively and getting callers, thank your lucky stars- people mostly fold when I get those kind of premium hands :(
    Posted by DeucesLive
    So to conclude: Play KK & QQ and hope no Aces (not so worried about K's for Q's as the kx brigade are not so numerous) & ditch JJ 1010 pre?

Ditching these would make me cry but as u say they r vulnerable - possibly treat them as small pair & limp hoping 4 a set?

At present whenever I get these hands I start to groan as I KNOW i'm gonna lose big with em. I Have adopted the small raise approach & fold if I see an Ace. This seems to minimise the pain but am I getting into bad habits here?
  • edited September 2010
    nah, if you get JJ and 10-10 pre, I would be raising them very aggressively, and if anyone reraises you- jam it all in. They might play differently in cash- I'm not a cash player- but in MTTs, those are hands you HAVE to get your chips in the middle ASAP.

When you play those hands, you have to get a good range on what you've been called by. If someone has a real premium hand like AK/AQ/any pp, chances are they'd reraise you, at which point you take the coinflip preflop and shove- you've got the best hand at that point. Don't give them a cheap way to hit their cards. If they flat call, then it's more likely to be a raggy ace, possibly suited connectors or two high cards- so read the board texture and reevaluate how strong your hand is now. One non-ace overcard, and your hand is probably good, so bet out- if you get reraised, be prepared to let go. More often than not that flop bet will take it down.

• edited September 2010
    Sounds like a plan to me. My favourite hand is A6o for exactly this reason. You can limp in and if you miss it has cost you no more than a couple of bb's, but if you hit you can take down a big pocket pair! Also the fact that its offsuit means you have 2 flush draws as well.
    Posted by yb
    you are clearly bad at the pokers A5o is better than A6o
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding KK QQ JJ 1010 : you are clearly bad at the pokers A5o is better than A6o
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    amateur!

with A5o we have kicker problems
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding KK QQ JJ 1010 : amateur! with A5o we have kicker problems
    Posted by yb

But with A5o You Can Also Hit The Straight And A6 You Have Kicker Problems Aswell Mate IMO!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding KK QQ JJ 1010 : But with A5o You Can Also Hit The Straight And A6 You Have Kicker Problems Aswell Mate IMO!
    Posted by QuadKings
    But if we hit a straight it just gets us into trouble coz someone cud have the higher straight. ;)

And we might still have kicker problems, but it's not as big a problem as we wud have with A5. We go in front of hands such as Ace 5 for example.....
  • edited September 2010
    Best advice I can give here is think more rationally. Bear in mind the bad beats are more memorable than when your hand holds up. I can guarantee right now that aces on the flop don't come as often as you think. If you have KK, carry on raising and pray raggy aces call- of course, you have to be ready to re-evaluate when the A does come, as it will at times. Same goes with QQ/JJ/10-10, but you have to raise more aggressively with the weaker cards to isolate, IMO. QQ is solid, but JJ and 10-10 are a little more vulnerable- there's a large chance of overs coming down which can make you question your hands strength. I know how you feel regarding raggy ace players and the A hitting, but trust me- it's not as bad long term as you think. If you're playing KK aggressively and getting callers, thank your lucky stars- people mostly fold when I get those kind of premium hands :(
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Im sure Iv seen an Ace high flop with 4 opponents having rag aces lol!
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Folding KK QQ JJ 1010 : amateur! with A5o we have kicker problems
    Posted by yb
    you are clearly the amateur, i want to take my extra 0.015% edge
  • edited September 2010
    I just tested some forum suggestions.
    The cut off raises 400 (blinds 100/200)/I have jj on the button.
    I shove all in , he calls and shows a2o.
    Guess what he hits an ace on the flop and another ace on the turn.
    How uncanny.
    This is surely down to luck, no skill needed.
  • edited September 2010
    Say thank you for the call, curse the outdraw and carry on playing the same way. Simple.

I got it allin with KK against 34 (raised to 900 from 150/300bb, they called, they bet out on a J62 flop, I shoved, they hit 5 on river). It's annoying but it's poker, and I want that situation every single time- when the chips go in I'm around an 80% favourite. The fact they hit their card doesn't change the fact that's a great spot to be in.

What's the alternative with jacks? Play it more passively preflop, see an ace come down and fold? What if they bluff you off with a weaker pp, suited connector or KQ/KJ/QJ etc? Get the money in pre and leave it down to luck is the best thing, if they're willing to call off large portions of their stack with raggy aces, then happy days.