You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Anti-football or new age football

edited September 2010 in The Football Corner
Ok one thing that has came apparent being a Rangers fan over the last couple of years is we get accused of playing "anti-football". We only get accused of this in Europe of coarse and not in the league when we deal with other teams using the exact same tactics on us.

So my question is, is it really anti football. When you consider the money spent by Rangers and them their opponents of the last few years in European football (Lyon, Barcalona, Man Utd etc.).

Do we have a choice, if we attack these teams surly that gives us no chance to win, the game isnt the same as it was 10 - 20 - 30 years ago, money of the big clubs speak for itself, their transfer budgets some up everything, and for £30M+ players not breaking these tactics down does that not say something for these £1-2M defenders?

So what do you guys think ?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Not anti-football in the slightest......more like spot-on tactics which were carried out to the letter.

Anyone who wants to go toe-to-toe with them at Old Trafford will probably get ripped a new one.

and before anyone has their now customary pop at me, just ask yourself this.....

Would you be happy if your team displayed such disciplined tactics to take a point at Old Trafford?

I would.

And it wasn`t like the Rangers goal was being peppered with shots for 90 minutes either.

Cut your cloth accordingly for the win.
  • edited September 2010

The whole competition is a joke imo, too many poor teams. 

1 of 2 things should happen. The cup should be re-named "the European cup" OR, remain the champions league, and be narrowed down to ONLY the champions of each country.

The first rounds should be a knock-out round, with a seeded draw (as it is now) - This will get rid of all the dire teams, Rangers included, who have NO chance of winning the competition. It makes a mockery of the concept behind having a competition for the best teams in Europe. There are no easy games? psh. 

Obv you get the occasional freak result, but there are teams in each group that I would lay at 1,000,000/1 and no1 will take me on, coz they have NO CHANCE of winning.

I want to watch the best teams play each-other as often as possible, lets have 2 groups in the last 8, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, home and away. In the other, Chelsea, Madrid, Lyon, AC Milan. Same, home and away.

The final should also be a 3 legged affair, with each team having a home game, and ending with a neutral final, and an aggregate score used to decide the winner.

Personally I'd prefer the final to be more of a "best of 3" matches, to avoid the afore-mentioned negative tactics, but this will never happen. 

Thats what Im talking about. Send Bursaspor and MSK Zilina to play at Anfield in a mickey mouse competition, as they are mikki mouse clubs.

Proper champions league ftw !!!

• edited September 2010
    Cant agree more JJ, However i just dont see it happening.

They changed it because they want Man Utd v Read Madrid and Barcalona v Chelsea semi finals.

In this day and age, the money goes to money unfortunetly which means the lesser nations teams such as Rangers, Ajax, Rosenburg etc will have to go without and struggle on playing "Anti-Football"
  • edited September 2010
    Without these other teams making up the numbers domestially, there would be no Champions League. If a team wins their league then they deserve to pay in it imo regardless of whether they have a chance of winning or not.
  • edited September 2010

Of course they deserve to play, as they've earnt the right to play in it.  In my format, they will be in the first knock-out round, same as all the favourites.

If they progress, good luck to them.

• edited September 2010
    I agree with Dohhhhhhh in that the champions league should change its name.

But as for team tactics, they should play however they like within the rules and if expensive teams cant break them down then tough.

I mean, it doesnt work in the end anyway because the best team in the cup normally wins so the cream will rise to the top. ( these teams normally get knocked out due to the fact that they loosen up at home and lose there instead or refs bottle it. )

Its normally Wenger and his monotonous childish hypercritical endless winging that brings this subject to the fore but if i was the manager of any team playing Man u, Arsenal, Barca etc i would tell my team not to let them turn or play or even breath because it would be our only chance.
  • edited September 2010
    seems a decent system DoHHHH. Cetainly one that would nulify second place teams getting in i hope?
  • edited September 2010
    CLUBS QUALIFYING ON MERIT COME ON DOH YOUR JOKING SURELY?
  • ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    New Age, ur havin a laugh Don

If new age is strangling the beautiful game then that's new age.

fcbarcelona and SPAIN play a brand of football that no team can or dare compete with, their beautiful game has rarely been seen on this planet, surely it's the duty of evey football coach, manger, player and coaching staff to try to emulate what fcbarcelona and Spain produce, this is NEW AGE football.

not watching a team of 10 dustbins defend against a predominently 2nd string team to acheive a 0-0

VIVA espana, VIVA fcbarcelona,

p.s I ask u what u would rather watch Don , Arsenal v Barcelona or ManU v Rangers

VIVA the beautiful game

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football:
    New Age, ur havin a laugh Don If new age is strangling the beautiful game then that's new age. fcbarcelona and SPAIN play a brand of football that no team can or dare compete with, their beautiful game has rarely been seen on this planet, surely it's the duty of evey football coach, manger, player and coaching staff to try to emulate what fcbarcelona and Spain produce, this is NEW AGE football. not watching a team of 10 dustbins defend against a predominently 2nd string team to acheive a 0-0 VIVA espana, VIVA fcbarcelona, p.s I ask u what u would rather watch Don , Arsenal v Barcelona or ManU v Rangers VIVA the beautiful game
    Posted by ACA
    Rangers v Man Utd.

Why because im a Rangers fan, one thing that i take pride in is my team competeing with bigger teams, weather we win, lose or draw we need to compete with bigger teams to compete.

Ok so then you look at Arsenal v Barcalona, ok these teams have top quality players and a decent transfer budget, why because they have money. Do Rangers have money to go toe to toe with these teams?

The answer is No. If you wanted to see teams attack eachother then the money should be taken out of the game, home grown players only in my opinion. This means an English team could only have English player, Scottish could only have Scottish, Spannish only Spannish etc. This would not only improve football as a whole in my opinion at grass routes level but also improve the game at International level.
  • edited September 2010
    Also a note to add, do you think Arsene Wenger would adopt the same strategy against Barcalona that he did against Braga?

I think not, thats why Arsenal never last much longer once they meet a decent side.
  • edited September 2010
    Also a note to add, do you think Arsene Wenger would adopt the same strategy against Barcalona that he did against Braga? I think not, thats why Arsenal never last much longer once they meet a decent side.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Don, please take no notice of Engelbert ACA....He is looking for ME to bite ;0)

• ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football : Rangers v Man Utd. Why because im a Rangers fan, one thing that i take pride in is my team competeing with bigger teams, weather we win, lose or draw we need to compete with bigger teams to compete. Ok so then you look at Arsenal v Barcalona, ok these teams have top quality players and a decent transfer budget, why because they have money. Do Rangers have money to go toe to toe with these teams? The answer is No. If you wanted to see teams attack eachother then the money should be taken out of the game, home grown players only in my opinion. This means an English team could only have English player, Scottish could only have Scottish, Spannish only Spannish etc. This would not only improve football as a whole in my opinion at grass routes level but also improve the game at International level.
    Posted by The_Don90

Don you've summed up my argument with your initial reply, you didn't compete you sat with 11 guys behind the ball and made no attempt to try and get out of your own half never mind score a goal, If (and I know it's a big if) Darren Gibson had scored with 1 of his shots, there was no plan B,  you had no other strategy other than to sit and pray you never lost a goal.

That being the case what I will say is you acheived your goal of acheiving a 0-0, but hardly 1 for the purest and certainly not new age football.

You make some very valid points re the money in the game, I have a huge huge problem with UEFA and the way they run the competition re seedings for the big TV viewing nations (e.g Why can't teams from the same nation meet in the 1/4's) clearly a TV related advertising figures decision, and nothing to do with fair play and giving smaller nations a chance.

Unfortunately as much as we may disagree with it that's the way the game is being run and if you want to play in the Champs league you have to abide by these rules, which is brings me to the reason I posted on your thread.

If Rangers where playing Barcelona away in the 1st game then the tactics of sitting back with such a defensive formation would have been forced upon them through the class of the oposition.
    This was not the case and Rangers where playing a 2nd string Man U eleven (all be it with quality and large price tags on their heads) these 11 had not played together all season and some had not even played at all this season, they had no firepower on the bench with their most prolific players (Berbartov,Nani and Scholes) completely rested, they were totally disjointed and vulnerable. If Sunderland, Wolves, Birmingham etc etc had been playing Manu U that night are you honestly telling me they would not have had a go, come on Don be honest.

And would you have the same opinion if the game had of ended 1-0 to Man U, I mean Kenny Miller was subbed for Kyle Laftery ????, hardly an all out attacking system late on was it. Football is a form of entertainment and other than fans of Rangers I doubt any other football fan in the world would have enjoyed the spectacle.

At risk not to offend anyone, "the contents in this post are entirely my own views and under no circumstances does Sky or any of it's partner companies take any responsibility for any content "

• ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    Also a note to add, do you think Arsene Wenger would adopt the same strategy against Barcalona that he did against Braga? I think not, thats why Arsenal never last much longer once they meet a decent side.
    Posted by The_Don90

Arsene Wenger's team did not adopt negative tactics v Barcelona in both legs of last years 1/4 final, the 1st leg was a top top quality match and ended 2-2 with Barcelona hanging on in the late stages.

Arsenal's record in last 5 seasons
    SeasonStagePldWDL
    2009/10Quarter-finals12723
    2008/09Semi-finals14734
    2007/08Quarter-finals12732
    2006/07Round of 1610532
    2005/06Final13841
    Man U's record in last 5 seasons
    SeasonStagePldWDL
    2009/10Quarter-finals10712
    2008/09Final13661
    2007/08Winner13940
    2006/07Semi-finals12804
    2005/06Group stage8332
    Chelsea's record in last 5 seasons
    SeasonStagePldWDL
    2009/10Round of 168422
    2008/09Semi-finals12561
    2007/08Final13661
    2006/07Semi-finals12732
    2005/06Round of 168332

Seems they all struggle when they meet a good team, or Mourinho.

Always a pleasure

ACA
  • edited September 2010
    Check out the stats. The attempts on target tally makes interesting reading.....

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/matches/season=2011/round=2000118/match=2002829/index.html

Would you like more p1sh on your chips sir?
  • ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    At risk not to offend anyone, "the contents in this post are entirely my own views and under no circumstances does Sky or any of it's partner companies take any responsibility for any content "
  • edited September 2010
    I,d be well happy at the moment as I,m sure you are at your start to season and against Man U

I think it is new age football as you put it. Happens all the time now. Cup games with lower league teams against the big boys. There best chance most often is to play with 11 behind the ball and frustrate the opposition and their crowd and either counter attack or settle for draws or replys. (was never like that 20 years ago as teams were on a much more level playing field, before the money came in)

I think playing at home is different altogethor. You have to get the crowd going and use them as the 12th man
  • edited September 2010
    New Age, ur havin a laugh Don If new age is strangling the beautiful game then that's new age. fcbarcelona and SPAIN play a brand of football that no team can or dare compete with, their beautiful game has rarely been seen on this planet, surely it's the duty of evey football coach, manger, player and coaching staff to try to emulate what fcbarcelona and Spain produce, this is NEW AGE football. not watching a team of 10 dustbins defend against a predominently 2nd string team to acheive a 0-0 VIVA espana, VIVA fcbarcelona, p.s I ask u what u would rather watch Don , Arsenal v Barcelona or ManU v Rangers VIVA the beautiful game
    Posted by ACA
    without wishing to offend and this is only my opinion but what a load of pompous twaddle,sounds like wenger this post does you,ll be wanting tackling banned next.
    teams like rangers/stoke work to their strengths they know they they cant compete with the big guns so they play the game what sees fit and if putting ten men behind the ball to try and get a draw or a sneaky win then fair play to them, then hope to get summat in the return with a full house behind them.
    it may not be pleasing on the the eye but at least they aint deluded,anyway its up to manu/barca to break these teams down and if they conna do that then it shows just how good they are
    viva to the underdog
  • ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football : without wishing to offend and this is only my opinion but what a load of pompous twaddle,sounds like wenger this post does you,ll be wanting tackling banned next. teams like rangers/stoke work to their strengths they know they they cant compete with the big guns so they play the game what sees fit and if putting ten men behind the ball to try and get a draw or a sneaky win then fair play to them, then hope to get summat in the return with a full house behind them. it may not be pleasing on the the eye but at least they aint deluded,anyway its up to manu/barca to break these teams down and if they conna do that then it shows just how good they are viva to the underdog
    Posted by stokefc

he shoots he scores 2-0

lol
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football : he shoots he scores 2-0 lol
    Posted by ACA
    so what your actually saying is then you didnt mind how rangers played the other night then cuz your on a wind up lol n1
  • ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football : so what your actually saying is then you didnt mind how rangers played the other night then cuz your on a wind up lol n1
    Posted by stokefc

It's a long throw, it's in 2-1

lol
  • ACAACA
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football : so what your actually saying is then you didnt mind how rangers played the other night then cuz your on a wind up lol n1
    Posted by stokefc

Hi stokefc

To answer your question honestly I have no problem with teams playing a defensive line up in order to acheive their goal, defending is an art form, but there's defending by playing a counter attacking game (Italian teams of old and Mourinho's Inter being good examples) and there's defending to aheive a 0-0.
    The problem I have with the rangers performance was the ultra defensive set up they played against a 2nd string united team. A flat back 5 with 4 midfielders sitting on top of them,and a lone striker who at times was also defending, with hardly an intention or attempt to counter attack, this completely killed the game as a spectacle with a 0-0 virtually guaranteed.
    As I've stated in a previous post If Man U had scored a goal, rangers had no plan b and no chance of getting anything out of the game. Scunthorpe virtually played the same team last night and although they lost 5-2, they had a go took the lead dominated for spellsand threatened throughout. With due respect to Scunny fans I reckon rangers may just have a better team???

If Stoke went to Old Trafford to play the Manu team that played that night, I'm fairly confident they would have caused that makeshift defence all sort of problems or at the very least way more problems than rangers did.

Then again this is only my opinion.

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football : Hi stokefc To answer your question honestly I have no problem with teams playing a defensive line up in order to acheive their goal, defending is an art form, but there's defending by playing a counter attacking game (Italian teams of old and Mourinho's Inter being good examples) and there's defending to aheive a 0-0. The problem I have with the rangers performance was the ultra defensive set up they played against a 2nd string united team. A flat back 5 with 4 midfielders sitting on top of them,and a lone striker who at times was also defending, with hardly an intention or attempt to counter attack, this completely killed the game as a spectacle with a 0-0 virtually guaranteed. As I've stated in a previous post If Man U had scored a goal, rangers had no plan b and no chance of getting anything out of the game. Scunthorpe virtually played the same team last night and although they lost 5-2, they had a go took the lead dominated for spellsand threatened throughout. With due respect to Scunny fans I reckon rangers may just have a better team??? If Stoke went to Old Trafford to play the Manu team that played that night, I'm fairly confident they would have caused that makeshift defence all sort of problems or at the very least way more problems than rangers did. Then again this is only my opinion.  
    Posted by ACA
    dunno bout that m8 stoke would play 4 center halves across the back with 4 defensive midfielders in front of them against the vale at home never mind against a manu 2nd string at OT..lmao
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Anti-football or new age football : Don you've summed up my argument with your initial reply, you didn't compete you sat with 11 guys behind the ball and made no attempt to try and get out of your own half never mind score a goal, If (and I know it's a big if) Darren Gibson had scored with 1 of his shots, there was no plan B,  you had no other strategy other than to sit and pray you never lost a goal. That being the case what I will say is you acheived your goal of acheiving a 0-0, but hardly 1 for the purest and certainly not new age football. You make some very valid points re the money in the game, I have a huge huge problem with UEFA and the way they run the competition re seedings for the big TV viewing nations (e.g Why can't teams from the same nation meet in the 1/4's) clearly a TV related advertising figures decision, and nothing to do with fair play and giving smaller nations a chance. Unfortunately as much as we may disagree with it that's the way the game is being run and if you want to play in the Champs league you have to abide by these rules, which is brings me to the reason I posted on your thread. If Rangers where playing Barcelona away in the 1st game then the tactics of sitting back with such a defensive formation would have been forced upon them through the class of the oposition. This was not the case and Rangers where playing a 2nd string Man U eleven (all be it with quality and large price tags on their heads) these 11 had not played together all season and some had not even played at all this season, they had no firepower on the bench with their most prolific players (Berbartov,Nani and Scholes) completely rested, they were totally disjointed and vulnerable. If Sunderland, Wolves, Birmingham etc etc had been playing Manu U that night are you honestly telling me they would not have had a go, come on Don be honest. And would you have the same opinion if the game had of ended 1-0 to Man U, I mean Kenny Miller was subbed for Kyle Laftery ????, hardly an all out attacking system late on was it. Football is a form of entertainment and other than fans of Rangers I doubt any other football fan in the world would have enjoyed the spectacle. At risk not to offend anyone, "the contents in this post are entirely my own views and under no circumstances does Sky or any of it's partner companies take any responsibility for any content "
    Posted by ACA
    Your right we dont expect to consead, we have a pretty strong back 4, with back ups and in the case of this game back 5.

Also on a note, 3-0 victory in Lyon playing these exact tactics a few seasons ago, dishing out Lyons biggest ever champions league home defeat, ok so Lyon are no Barcalona/Man Utd but their in the next string of teams, and lets remember they have a few nifty players themselves.

That same season we kept, Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry to a 0-0 draw at Ibrox, ok they turned us over at the Nou Camp, playing these exact tactics. That year Rangers went on to come second in the UEFA cup final, erm what was the only game that season in Europe Rangers attacked, that would be the final against a pretty unknown Zenit side, in which Andrey Arshavin became a star.

Ok the Miller/Lafferty front, i agree, as a Rangers fan i think Lafferty is the biggest waste of a wage in the history of football. However with losing Boyd in the summer, Beattie not european football ability and Jecovic ineligable we dont exacty have many options for an out and out striker, because of our lack of wingers.