You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UTG or CUT OFF

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok so this is probably an old question but i can neither fathom nor find a definetive answer. If I'm to the right of the button, four handed, am I UTG or in the Cut Off. Should this affect the way I play. Paticularly in S n'G's I notice that respect for a strong raise in the cut off 6 or 5 handed is totally depleted when down to 4. I wonder if this is because most players regard this situation as UTG always.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Well, in terms of your question it's both. Same as 3 handed you'll be both UTG and on the button, and 2 handed you'll be UTG, button and SB. UTG simply means first to act, and you'll always have that position to the left of the BB.

What you should stop to think about is more how the dynamics change depending on how many players are present. 10 handed, an UTG raise represents massive strength, since the chances of no one calling at worst, or more likely reraising, are minimal- you're unlikely to get a free ride. So your hand has to play well post-flop. 6 handed UTG still commands respect, since you have 5 hands to get through. 4 handed however, you only have 3 hands to get through- you can make that raise with a wider range, safe in the knowledge that you're less likely to be called.

As the players on the table diminish, the range of raising hands widen, but so too does the range of reraising/calling hands. I wouldn't raise UTG on a 10 handed table with AJ, but I'd raise an unraised pot in the cutoff/button with it. Same as 3/4 handed, I'd be raising UTG with AJ. Player amount is key, not the actual name of the position.
  • edited September 2010
    personally i'd prefer to say cut off as you would treat more aggressively :P although if 3 - 4 handed i would try to balance it occasionally raising with anything, also strong hands
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: UTG or CUT OFF:
    Well, in terms of your question it's both. Same as 3 handed you'll be both UTG and on the button, and 2 handed you'll be UTG, button and SB. UTG simply means first to act, and you'll always have that position to the left of the BB. What you should stop to think about is more how the dynamics change depending on how many players are present. 10 handed, an UTG raise represents massive strength, since the chances of no one calling at worst, or more likely reraising, are minimal- you're unlikely to get a free ride. So your hand has to play well post-flop. 6 handed UTG still commands respect, since you have 5 hands to get through. 4 handed however, you only have 3 hands to get through- you can make that raise with a wider range, safe in the knowledge that you're less likely to be called. As the players on the table diminish, the range of raising hands widen, but so too does the range of reraising/calling hands. I wouldn't raise UTG on a 10 handed table with AJ, but I'd raise an unraised pot in the cutoff/button with it. Same as 3/4 handed, I'd be raising UTG with AJ. Player amount is key, not the actual name of the position.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Great post

Should be put with the strategy tips IMO
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: UTG or CUT OFF:
    Well, in terms of your question it's both. Same as 3 handed you'll be both UTG and on the button, and 2 handed you'll be UTG, button and SB. UTG simply means first to act, and you'll always have that position to the left of the BB. What you should stop to think about is more how the dynamics change depending on how many players are present. 10 handed, an UTG raise represents massive strength, since the chances of no one calling at worst, or more likely reraising, are minimal- you're unlikely to get a free ride. So your hand has to play well post-flop. 6 handed UTG still commands respect, since you have 5 hands to get through. 4 handed however, you only have 3 hands to get through- you can make that raise with a wider range, safe in the knowledge that you're less likely to be called. As the players on the table diminish, the range of raising hands widen, but so too does the range of reraising/calling hands. I wouldn't raise UTG on a 10 handed table with AJ, but I'd raise an unraised pot in the cutoff/button with it. Same as 3/4 handed, I'd be raising UTG with AJ. Player amount is key, not the actual name of the position.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Perfect thanks deuce. Your view not only makes perfect sence. It is the train of thought i was heading to myself and totally reinforces my own view, and clearly the view of Young Guns too. So i guess if i've understood correctly we are all more or less in agreement that irrespective of what label the seat position has, it's an aggressive position regardless.
    Cheers both