You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

10 handed DYM strategy!

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Alright guys, looking for some General advice/tips from you nits out there who love to double your money !!

I've emptied my account on sky, and am gonna try my best to stay off the tables on sky poker until the Ryder Cup starts on the first of October.

Tbh I've got really bored of grinding, playing against the same players day in day out, where I know their game inside out, and they know mine. Breaking even isn't much fun, and by trying to make things happen, things are going wrong. 

So Im looking for a new challenge.......Which I've found in the most unlikely form...

DOUBLE YOUR MONEYS !!! haha

The kool thing about playing these on the other site is I can play as many as I want, at once, with this kool 'cascading' thing I've figured out how to use lately. 8 is the most I've managed so far, but I reckon I may be able to get up to double that, as long as I stagger my entry times. I'll see how it goes.

So the aim of this post is to get some tips from the regular DYM players on here, who, even if you haven't played 10 handed sng's, how would you predict they would differ from 6 handed?

How would you change your game?

What sort of hand ranges would you be opening with in each position for the first level for example?

How many bb's is the danger-zone, and at what point is it "shove un-opened" with any 2?

For example, I was 7 handed earlier, with top 5 paid. I have 1k chips, with blinds at 150/300. There are 2 stacks similar to mine, I am however in the small blind, un-opened, with JQ of hearts. Th big blind has a comfortable 3k stack (10xbb)......

Would you shove here?

Apologise for the length of the post, but wud appreciate any advice from tommyd, JC, shanx, Phil, blackfish, Don, Silentbob, and all other DYM or EX DYM fanatics !!

Hopefully i'll return to sky with a good few quid banked, and a renewed enthusiasm to hit the cash tables !! 

(prob wnt be able to resist a few tournys tho, esp the TV ones!)

Comments

• edited September 2010
    errr so you have no downswing for 5 years keep crushing people that you play with day in day out.

1 week of not winning and you're tired of breaking even?

so you then go to play a game where the idea is to breakeven plus 1pence each time you play to slowly accumulate lol.

that makes no sense whatsoever.

you will just want to kill yourself playing lots of double your monies. 

As usual you will detest my reply but DYMS are ALL MATHS. If you think they are not then pls by all means multi table away to your hearts content and then come back here in 2 weeks and 1k games and tell us how you're 'running super bad and it's not fair this other site is rigged against you'.

If you play with people day in day out and cant beat them it's prob cos your bad or are doing the wrong things. maybe even your disregard for ranges and belief in only doing the right play relative to the cards your opponent holds each time is causing you some problems?

jumping straight into muli tabling a game you dont know is not a good idea, especially not when you're going to overlay all these numbers you dont understand especially considering you're not a 'numbers player'.

Before you say zomg leave me alone this is a helpful post if you don't get that then w/e. 

The answer to how to play 10 handed DYMS is obv FOLD.
  • edited September 2010

1. Yeh Im bored of playing nl30 here, Ive been doing it non-stop for months, I want a break. Haven't been looking forward to playing recently, so want to try something different.

2. I wont be playing 100% dyms, also 6 handed sngs, and the bigger 180 runner sngs, both of which Im good at, have experience playing, and have a winning record at - so theres no need to ask for advice.

3. Im never ever gonna say a poker site is rigged, not sure why you put that.

4. Ive been 3 tabling for 5 years, so playing 8+ tables lately has been very refreshing. So rather than make me suicidal, it's made me enjoy playing alot more. 

5. Im not starting totally from scratch, I have moderate dym experience, and how hard can it be?

6. The reason for the post was to get advice from players who play DYM's at a higher level I have played, and will be playing. Yet again I hope these people aren't put off from replying to my opening post.

7. zomg, ur a pr1ck.

lol :)

• edited September 2010
    i will just point out that a ROI of 4% is extremely high for a DYM player
  • edited September 2010
    RE 7)

Enjoy breaking even fish :-)

I give up.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 10 handed DYM strategy!:
    RE 7) Enjoy breaking even fish :-) I give up.
    Posted by beaneh
    lol I don't thats the problem - a week of it (playing every other day)  is too much, dunno how u guys can take it for months n months. 

Thanx for trying anyway, and also for the one piece of genuine advice you offered. - Obviously folding is a key skill in 10 handed dyms :)

Can anyone add to that? and particularly the "make your play" example I gave in the O.P.....

Any other advice/experiences/stories from u guys wud also be much appreciated, the grind starts tomorrow morning !!! 

• edited September 2010
    DYM's are just soooooooooo bad it's just like antipoker.

If you play 6 £10 DYM's and cash in 4/6 which is probably considered a decent rate, then minus rake you will have earnt £7.

Eff that.

On a completely separate issue, if people are reading this then maybe they can answer me.

I've no idea why but in the last week to 10 days I've had absolutely no desire to play poker whatsoever. I've played pretty much on a daily basis or whenever I've had a chance to for probably 3 years now but at the moment I just cannot be bothered with it. 

Feels strange as I've always enjoyed it and i've not gone through a bad streak or anything recently, just seem to have lost the will to play for the time being. Hoping it comes back soon because i've been bored yet still not wanted to play.

Maybe a bit of burn out or w/e, can anyone relate to this?
  • edited September 2010
    DYM's are just soooooooooo bad it's just like antipoker. If you play 6 £10 DYM's and cash in 4/6 which is probably considered a decent rate, then minus rake you will have earnt £7. Eff that. On a completely separate issue, if people are reading this then maybe they can answer me. I've no idea why but in the last week to 10 days I've had absolutely no desire to play poker whatsoever. I've played pretty much on a daily basis or whenever I've had a chance to for probably 3 years now but at the moment I just cannot be bothered with it.  Feels strange as I've always enjoyed it and i've not gone through a bad streak or anything recently, just seem to have lost the will to play for the time being. Hoping it comes back soon because i've been bored yet still not wanted to play. Maybe a bit of burn out or w/e, can anyone relate to this?
    Posted by CLIOKID

Take a break, you'll be amped up when you come back to it. Happens to everyone.
  • edited September 2010
    Is that on sky clio?

I haven't worked anything like that out, no idea about what win rate to expect or anything, just gonna try n 8 table+  non stop until my head spins, then request tourny history and see how it's going.

The rake on skys dyms is double this site tho, a $20 dym has .80 rake......that wud be £2 here??

Ive made quite abit (in relation to the buy in) on the 40 or so Ive done so far.....It can't be that bad.

Ive always hated dyms in the past, with a passion, but thats coz I cud only play 2/3 at once, here Im clicking every 2 seconds.......maybe ill get bored after a day, who knows.

• edited September 2010
    Is that on sky clio? I haven't worked anything like that out, no idea about what win rate to expect or anything, just gonna try n 8 table+  non stop until my head spins, then request tourny history and see how it's going. The rake on skys dyms is double this site tho, a $20 dym has .80 rake......that wud be £2 here?? Ive made quite abit (in relation to the buy in) on the 40 or so Ive done so far.....It can't be that bad. Ive always hated dyms in the past, with a passion, but thats coz I cud only play 2/3 at once, here Im clicking every 2 seconds.......maybe ill get bored after a day, who knows.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yeah it was sky i was talking about and reading back I was actually wrong.

You'd make £14 for cashing in 4/6 after rake.

Brutal!
  • edited September 2010
    how are you going to play 8+ tables where you have no set play in each spot you come across?
  • edited September 2010

Just click all in or fold, drag to the side, and shout HOLD ! :)

Some spots r quite tricky though, and I wanna get a head start by learning what to do in some tricky situations, rather than taking 100 games to figure them out for myself. 

Im confident with calling ranges, but feel some-times I push abit too soon. The example in the o.p is one of the situations that really get me in 2 minds. 

How do you play big draws in dyms? - Are you using ur F.E? or calling to hit before you get it in?

• edited September 2010
    how are you going to play 8+ tables where you have no set play in each spot you come across?
    Posted by zing

Any one else thinking they should starting grinding on other sites loooooool?

I have to say this even though i've given up.

If you don't know/understand shoving ranges YOU DONT KNOW WHAT TO CALL WITH BY ANY MEANS.
  • edited September 2010

That's the spirit!!!

Ofc u can understand 1 and not the other. 

There are limited opportunities for you to call a shove, as obviously someone has to shove first... but there is the opportunity to shove every single hand.

Therefore there is more skope to make mistakes when shoving, than there is when calling.

You can't "call too soon" can you, it's either a call or a fold. Finding the right time to shove though is different...

I definitely shot too soon this afternoon !!! :S

Need to work on myTiming !!!! - and understand when folding into the money is a realistic possibility, and when I need to steal 1 more time to be safe.

I hate sats, hardly ever played them, so not much experience here. 

I'll have to post some hands I guess.

And btw, I think I've just been conned, Ive just sent 0.03$ to sharkscope to unlock my stats on the new site, and nothing's happened!!

Good start huh?
  • edited September 2010
    JJ mate, I've gotta be honest & say that if you're getting bored grinding at NL30 here then DYM games are gonna drive you mad.

You're a pretty aggro player & long term I really don't think that's gonna work for you in these type of games. I'm nowhere near as aggro as you & I've pretty much stopped playing these games as like beaneh said they're almost anti poker. 

If you wanna break from here then I reckon you're better off sticking to the regular & 180 player SnG's tbh. Maybe even play some cash on the other site for a while?

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 10 handed DYM strategy! : Any one else thinking they should starting grinding on other sites loooooool? I have to say this even though i've given up. If you don't know/understand shoving ranges YOU DONT KNOW WHAT TO CALL WITH BY ANY MEANS.
    Posted by beaneh
    hopefully his new site is fulltilt and i'll get to play with him sometime
  • edited September 2010
    omg it's like a professional poker comedian is writing his posts.

IM SO TILTED ITS LOL
  • edited September 2010
    anti poker? I totally disagree. I only play DYMs - my best run is 8 st8 wins - my worst run is 3 st8 losses. I usually win 3 out 4, that can drop to 2 out of 3. I play tight and im getting the aggressive bit sorted out.

I agree about the rake on this site tho - very expensive.

Cant really advice you tho Dohhhhhhhh - still learning myself. I make a profit - no where near as much as you can at a nl cash game. Love playing poker and the strategy involved in a DYM.

No doubt someone who can advise you better will be along soon.

BTW - I would't start off at 8 tables.

Si
  • edited September 2010

Whooooooo "Dohhhhhhhhh bashing timeeeeeeeeeee"

Cheerz Jay & Silk....

I dnt think I can get bored when Ive got to click like every 2/3 seconds.........But like I said Im deffo gonna mix in some standard 6 seaters.

I played 6 at once the other day and won 4, came 2nd in the other 2 :) Playing HU on 3 tables at once is abit mad though.

I don't mind having 2 options (shove/fold) for a few days, it really does feel like a refreshing change. Im fed up of playing players who wait and play the nuts against me. I could move up on sky, but I think a change will do me good. 

Anti-poker ftw!! lol - Looking forward to playing tomorrow for the first time in ages !

• edited September 2010
    lol - I doubt you'll get bored.

Theres a bit more to it tho than just shove or fold, but gd luck to you. Let us know how you get on.

Si
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    loool 2nd best thread ever???

The only good thing about playing dym's is that it should get you back in the mood for serious grinding they're that boring. Tbh I think a trained monkey could play them as all the situations are so repetitive.

Also how can you be so sure of what a good calling range is when you don't know what to shove with? What you call with is supposedly gonna play well against someone else's shoving range right?
  • edited September 2010
    Tbh I think a trained monkey could play them
    Posted by yb
    you called? ;)
  • edited September 2010

Yeh thats the idea kinda, so when I wake up on the morning of the ryder cup, all excited about the best televised sporting event in the World, with a fridge full of ale, I'll also have an afternoon of playing some proper poker to genuinely look forward to! 

Maybe I shud go t-total and not watch any golf for the next fortnight too???? :s

I can't do the "take a week off" thing, I'm getting pwned on champ man, and I'd be too tempted to play, so have to try something different.

I know which hands I could shove with, but sometimes theres no need to shove !?
  • edited September 2010
    Yeh thats the idea kinda, so when I wake up on the morning of the ryder cup, all excited about the best televised sporting event in the World, with a fridge full of ale, I'll also have an afternoon of playing some proper poker to genuinely look forward to!  Maybe I shud go t-total and not watch any golf for the next fortnight too???? :s I can't do the "take a week off" thing, I'm getting pwned on champ man, and I'd be too tempted to play, so have to try something different. I know which hands I could shove with, but sometimes theres no need to shove !?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

loooooooool

I'll leave it all you to YB hehehehehe
  • edited September 2010
    JJ u only need to shove closer to the end or if u have approx 10bb...no need early on, just raise like normal :)
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: 10 handed DYM strategy! : you called? ;)
    Posted by BananaDog
    me 2! but i'm not house trained....

also lol @ champ man
  • edited September 2010
    gl jj hope it rediscovers your passion for poker, i personally dont think its the answer for you. Not doubting you just think its a bit tooo abc and more maths then standard sit n gos which doesnt really play into your advantage that well, it will become easy and boring and more a grind imo but best of luck dude

as for mixing normal sit n gos and dym that will be a bit risky, maybe if you do 1 hour of sit n gos only then go back to DYM , think if you are playing 6 of 1 & 6 of the other then could become confusin and will take longer to work out where your at. so when you do this stick to one format that way you dont have to find where you are in each hand whether your in dym or sit n go

My advice FWIW, obviously fold, pot control is key! get agressive with weak players from the of. hope to see you around here soon mate
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    looool does anyone still play champ manager?!

football manager ftw obv, its a lot harder as well!!

and if you wanna take a break from cash can you really not find something better to do than a week of dym's? Really???? They'll turn you into a bigger nit than beaneh lol. Seriously though get an xbox360 (and get live) and rent out Fifa, COD and Fight Night. Wiiiiiiii
  • edited September 2010

Nah not gonna mix em young en!!

Was gonna play dyms all day then play cash on sky after 6 when it gets abit looser - but decided on a complete change instead.

It wont be a weeks worth, just every other day.......Need a poker fix !!!!

I aint played a fifa for yearssssssssssssssssssssssss International cricket captain ftw ;)

Tiger Woods was a gr8 game tho......
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Nah not gonna mix em young en!! Was gonna play dyms all day then play cash on sky after 6 when it gets abit looser - but decided on a complete change instead. It wont be a weeks worth, just every other day.......Need a poker fix !!!! I aint played a fifa for yearssssssssssssssssssssssss International cricket captain ftw ;) Tiger Woods was a gr8 game tho......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol on cricket captain once with Bangladesh I won the world cup and got to #2 test team in the world!! Dont really like the 3D version though....
  • edited September 2010
    DYMs are the worst form of poker ever.  The win rate is so tiny, and thats assuming you don't run into Chinese colluders.

Like if you wanna take a break from Sky then just play big field MTTs on other sites in the hope of binking some decent $$$s

Quiting Sky for a couple of weeks because you are bored of regs and jumping into DYMs sounds like the worst idea ever.

Beaneh - we should introduce RJ to Doh I think they'd get like best mates!