You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Edd Giddins in terrible

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
flicked on the sky repeat the other day and there was Mr Giddins  analyzing poker hands, he is ok with very basic stuff that your grandmother should know but other than that  generally pretty terrible,

this isn't an attack on the man as I'm sure he is a very nice fellow and does his best with the limited knowledge he has

there are some very good players on sky and some of them contribute to the forums, i would like to see these guys given an opportunity to contribute to the TV shows either in person or on skype i feel this would be far more beneficial to the viewers and to Mr Giddins

Comments

• edited September 2010
      I dont think Edd is terrible but,I think he dose go on a bit,Myself I lose interest when he goes on and on by the time he is finished Ive forgotten what he was talking about in the first place.Some of the tips are just not workable,taking notes? trying to guess what another player is thinking(it is a guess) unless you can see all the hands as they do in the studio.I could go on for a while yet but I risk becoming like E.Giddins.One suggestion before I finish,why not annalyise the play without seeing the hands, or only one hand showing.
                                                                         regards Acad148 
  • edited September 2010
    I'd actually like to see analysis of hands from a single perspective, only making the other hands visible at the end if possible (or when folded). If you have hand requests played from the original players perspective, it makes it a lot easier to not be put off when you can clearly see the other guy is sat with aces, and be less biased.

Oh, and I really rate Giddins personally- I love his analysis and personally think he's got good game. Look at Howard Lederer for the opposite end of the spectrum- probably one of the most knowledgable players in the entire game, I doubt many know more about it than him- but he's a terrible player and his handreading is appalling whilst he plays. Giddins has a lot more instinct about him, I feel, and in general is well in place as an analyst.
  • edited September 2010

I am a huge fan of Ed's. I think his analysis is spot on 99% of the time. At the end of the day, the lower buy-in MTTs (incl. the Open) are tournaments where the decisions you face aren't actually that difficult and you can make a tidy profit playing pretty solid.

As for being Ok on the basics and his actual ability otherwise; 1) the tv program is necessarily pretty basic at times as it's largely aimed at beginning players; 2) as far as I know he's a professional STT/MTT player so he must be doing something right and I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at his advice.

JC 

• edited September 2010
    I dis-agree Ed is not terrible and is quite fun to watch imo

great idea with the hand from 1 persons perspective, should do a half hour slot with 1 person on any table or even follow one player for 10 minutes then another would be very good
  • edited September 2010
    Ed is a professional player.  His understanding of poker is going to far deeper than the show allows.

I assume that they have time limits that they can spend on each hand.  Also he has to do his analysis on the spot on a live TV show which doesn't make things easier.  And he is probably constrained by the 'deepness' of his commentry by the shows main audience, which is new/casual poker players who want basic hints and tips to aid in their game. He is also one of the more 'honest' of the analysts and does actually say when a particular play is bad, where some other presenters will just gloss over it as being 'unconvential'.

And you have to remember that the TV channel is also about entertainment.  Ed is good at having some balance and is at ease talking about non poker subjects off the cuff. 

The one thing I will say is that he brings out the same stories/anecdotes about certain players EVERY show, if their hand is being featured.

• edited September 2010
    being a good poker player does not neccessarily make you a good tv analyst. Ed's job is probably a lot harder than you think it is.
  • edited September 2010
    ed is not terrible but his shirts on the other hand, well that`s a differant matter
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    I love it when Ed starts talking from the fish's perspective, just having a 'great time' playing every hand. It always makes me lol!
  • edited September 2010
    Is Ed still in terrible?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Edd Giddins in terrible:
    I love it when Ed starts talking from the fish's perspective, just having a 'great time' playing every hand. It always makes me lol!
    Posted by yb
    Hahaha this
  • edited September 2010
    N1ck, i suggest you put your name forward to go to the studio and analyse hands, and get it right every time, and entertain us....

Once you have done that and been successful in your analysis 100% of the time  over a long period, then and only then you can say Ed is terrible imo.

Why are you so quick to critizise, when you have no idea how hard it is? Ed has his own opinions about poker and his own playing style and i have found some of his views very helpful and interesting.
  • edited September 2010
    I think Ed's main problem is he is sexy and he knows it.