You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Midweek footy betting (21st/22nd)

edited September 2010 in The Football Corner
Right then, I'm hoping to continue where I left off at the weekend & with some Carling cup action tonight & tomorrow there's at least an opportunity.

Of course, the biggest problem with this competition is trying to find those teams that are actually bothered about it & subsequently finding some value. I've gone for 2 bets, a main acca that covers tonight & tomorrow & 1 extreme long shot for tonight.

Main Acca:

Everton to beat Brentford (A) @ 1/2 (Tuesday)
Bolton to beat Burnley (A) @ 13/8 (Tuesday)
Rangers (-1) to beat Dunfermline (H) @ 4/9 (Tuesday)
Man Utd (-1) to beat Scunthorpe (A) @ 6/5 (Wednesday)
Wigan to beat Preston (H) @ 4/6 (Wednesday)
Liverpool (-1) to beat Northampton (H) @ 8/15 (Wednesday)

These 6 are paying a tasty 31/1 & although a few might be a little on the riskier side, it's worth taking a shot for the prices on offer.

Everton need to get their season kick started & this is the ideal game for them. A potential banana skin but they really should be too strong for Brentford, even at Griffin Park.
Bolton are one of the few teams who always look to do well in this competition & not only is this a derby game but it also sees Owen Coyle return to Turf Moor since he jumped ship last season. Burnley are decent at home but Bolton really should be too strong & that price is massive.
Dunfermline have got off to a decent start in division one but Rangers really should walk this at Ibrox.
Manyoo are very likely to play a 2nd string side at Glanford Park but in all fairness, their 2nd string is probably better than the majority of Championship teams!
Wigan are slowly getting things together this season (shame really cos I really want to see them go down) & they're a decent shout at home here. Preston are having a shocking start to the season with 6 defeats from their 7 games so far & they've conceded an average of 2 goals per game as well. By no means an easy game for Wigan but they should get through this.
Although I fully expect Liverpool to make changes for this game even their 2nd string should be too strong for a poor Northampton side who don't travel well at the best of times.

Extreme Tuesday Night Long Shot:

Birmingham (-1) to beat MK Dons (H) @ 6/5
Wolves (-1) to beat Notts Co (H) @ 6/5
Everton to score 2+ goals @ 8/13
Bolton to score 2+ goals @ 13/8
Millwall/Ipswich - Under 2.5 goals @ 8/11
Peterborough/Swansea - Over 2.5 goals @ 5/6
Portsmouth/Leicester - Under 2.5 goals @ 8/11
Stoke/Fulham - Under 2.5 goals @ 4/6
West Ham (+1) to beat Sunderland (A) @ evens
Spurs/Arsenal - Over 2.5 goals @ 4/6

I did warn you that this was an extreme long shot & these 10 are paying a whopping 623/1! I don't really expect it to come in of course but I'll risk a quid on it.

Happy betting peeps

Jay

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Just like to say thanks bob for all the hard work and effort you put into your posts
    I've followed your football posts for the last couple of seasons and genuinelly look forward
    to reading them,as i know so many others do as well.
    Be assured your work is much appreciated on here bob, so please keep up the good work.
    Top marks bob excelllent stuff and i look forward to the rest of season.
  • edited September 2010
    Cheers Lengaleng. tbh, I really enjoy writing them anyway but it's always nice to know it's appreciated even if I haven't managed to pick out many winners so far this season!

Well after last night's games blew my main bet out of the water I've decided to have a cheeky little £1.50 on this little lot for tonight.

Manyoo to score 3+ goals @ 6/4
    Chelsea/Newcastle - Over 2.5 goals @ 4/9
    Wigan to beat Preston (H) @ 4/6
    Liverpool to score 3+ goals @ 5/6
    Man City to beat West Brom (A) @ 8/11

These 5 are paying a tasty 18/1 & well worth a small dabble.

Even with making wholesale changes to their side Manyoo are still gonna have a fair few of their big hitters out tonight. Rio Ferdinand is expected to get some vital match fitness along with a probable starting attack of Owen & Hernandez. If you're feeling brave it might be worth backing Utd to win by 3 goals or more @ 3/1 but I fancy that Scunthorpe might even nick a goal themselves.
    Chelsea are also expected to make a few changes for the visit of Newcastle but between the 2 teams there should still be enough attacking intent to give us some goals. The half time/full time of Chelsea/Chelsea also appeals @ 8/11 as part of an acca.
    I still believe in what I said about Wigan in yesterday's post & I really can't see Preston getting anything from this game whatsoever. I reckon it'll be a close game so as an alternative the under 2.5 goals bet @ evens is also worth a shout.
    Again, Liverpool will make changes to their team tonight but against a very poor Northampton side who really don't travel well at League 2 level they should still get a hatful of goals. I would imagine that Ngog will start & backing him to get the 1st goal @ 11/4 is definitely worth a look. If you fancy a bigger risk for a small outlay then a scorecast of Ngog 1st scorer & Liverpool to win 4-0 appeals @ 22/1.
    Whatever line up City put out it's still gonna contain a large amount of internationals. Although a top 4 finish is their priority this season they'll be looking at trying to get some silverware as well & may fancy their chances of a run in this competition. Premier league survival is Albion's priority this season & although they won't roll over tonight they may well make a few changes themselves. As an alternative bet in an acca it may be worth considering City to win by 2 or more goals @ 15/8.

Happy betting peeps

Jay
  • edited September 2010
    Michael Owen hat-trick 25/1

Go on Mickey!
  • edited September 2010
    Wow, it must really suck being a Liverpool fan right now.

1-1 at home to NORTHAMPTON!!! This is the same Northampton side who have yet to win away in 4 attempts in League 2 so far this season (conceding 8 goals along the way)

OK, I know Man City let me down too despite leading for a chunk of the game but still!!