You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

offensive user names

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
I've just played a dym with someone using what to me was a offensive user name. When i saw the name, my first thought was to go all in just to get away from the table. While I was still thinking about this, he had a poor run, which put him out early. Do sky not look at user names!!

Comments

• edited September 2010
    In Response to offensive user names:
    I've just played a dym with someone using what to me was a offensive user name. When i saw the name, my first thought was to go all in just to get away from the table. While I was still thinking about this, he had a poor run, which put him out early. Do sky not look at user names!!
    Posted by Bridge790
    If the name is really offensive just report it to customer care using the links at the bottom of the page. They will sort it.

• edited September 2010

R u serious? 
  • edited September 2010
    not a real post, please god dont be a real post!!!
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    loool

get a grip!
  • edited September 2010

why shouldnt it be a real post

some people find things offensive

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: offensive user names:
    why shouldnt it be a real post some people find things offensive
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    You being for real ?
  • edited September 2010
    I quite understand. Any username that includes the letters BWFC I find very offensive. LOL. :)
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to offensive user names:
    Posted by Bridge790
    Hi

Yes, Sky do vet names, unfortunately, some do get through, if you find a name offensive, please, as already suggested, report it to Customer Care.

Thank you for your understanding

Sky Mod
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: offensive user names : You being for real ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    brilliant, so if someones user name is, for instance, racist, you think thats alright?
  • edited September 2010
  • edited September 2010

thank you theneons!

Yes i am being serious. I dont know what the username was, and i doubt very much that i would be personally offended by it.

But the point is that as a responsible site, Sky cannot allow any usernames that could be deemed to be offensive, and therefore the OP should report this to customer care. Sky have a filter to stop bad names but its up to us to report things that are out of order for example racist or homophobic names that may not have been picked up by the filter!

You lot can mock all you like, but i'm with the OP on this one.

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: offensive user names : brilliant, so if someones user name is, for instance, racist, you think thats alright?
    Posted by theneons
    Well obviously if that somehow gets thru ofcourse many people won't be happy but general swear words wouldn't really bother me and I'd just see them as pretty sad to choose that sort of name anyway.
  • edited September 2010

For someone to be offended by a word, or combination of words, on a screen, that are NOT aimed personally towards him/her, is just abit sad tbh...

To be offended by chatbox abuse is pretty sad imo, but that cud be personal abuse, a username cannot.

Man up folks, or stop letting ur children play.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: offensive user names : Well obviously if that somehow gets thru ofcourse many people won't be happy but general swear words wouldn't really bother me and I'd just see them as pretty sad to choose that sort of name anyway.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    swear words dont bother me either, but that is not the point!

They bother some people and therefore they cant be allowed
  • edited September 2010
    The other day I was playing with someone who had the user name of a recent highly publisized murderer.

I personally don't find it offensive, but I can see why others will so I reported him to Sky to let them make the decision.
  • edited September 2010
    For someone to be offended by a word, or combination of words, on a screen, that are NOT aimed personally towards him/her, is just abit sad tbh... To be offended by chatbox abuse is pretty sad imo, but that cud be personal abuse, a username cannot. Man up folks, or stop letting ur children play.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    disagree
  • edited September 2010
    For someone to be offended by a word, or combination of words, on a screen, that are NOT aimed personally towards him/her, is just abit sad tbh... To be offended by chatbox abuse is pretty sad imo, but that cud be personal abuse, a username cannot. Man up folks, or stop letting ur children play.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    other people see things differently.

these kind of things don't offend me but to say to people who have totally different lives to MAN UP is very ignorant.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: offensive user names : other people see things differently. these kind of things don't offend me but to say to people who have totally different lives to MAN UP is very ignorant.
    Posted by scotty77
    +1

I stopped playing live poker with a bunch of local players due to the ultra offensive and abusive conversations. It got nasty, and threatening.

Tolerating and even encouraging abuse is not helpful to the game of poker and gives poker a bad reputation. This is NOT what we want, especially with it becoming more mainstream day by day.  Its a fun game lets keep it that way.
  • edited September 2010
    I was toatally focused on a tourney the other nite, when someone joined the table called.......chelsea summat, I swear i nearley threw up on the keyboard,,, & Hitpup DID!!!!

I reported it to the RSPCA!!
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    If someone is verbally abusing you in person its totally different obv.

But I dont see how a username on a screen can make a sane person get so upset they want to deliberately lose the game to get away from having to just look at it.
  • edited September 2010
    I stopped playing live poker with a bunch of local players due to the ultra offensive and abusive conversations. It got nasty, and threatening

tbf if you get any group of guys together in any social situation, it will quickly descend into WKDesq 'banter' behaviour.
  • edited September 2010

As previously stated of anyone feels that a name is offensive then they should report it to Customer Care using one of the methods listed at the bottom of the page.  

I feel that the discussion has now run its course and I am therefore closing the thread. 

Sky Mod

• edited September 2010
    I stopped playing live poker with a bunch of local players due to the ultra offensive and abusive conversations. It got nasty, and threatening .  tbf if you get any group of guys together in any social situation, it will quickly descend into WKDesq 'banter' behaviour.
    Posted by scotty77
    Depends what sort of guys they are, i tend not to want to mix with low life racists.

• edited September 2010
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'm really surprised at this point of view as there are plenty potential words that can be used in usernames which would deeply offend even if they were not personally aimed at anyone.  I'm sure Sky are well aware of the Law against such things and if they slip through its up to us to report them.

Only my point of view as you are entitled to yours.

Thanks
    Mike