You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Make a move

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
SPAZMO Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £4.35
becky0020 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £10.25
  Your hole cards

Batkin88 Call  £0.08 £0.20 £6.95
griff1988 Call  £0.08 £0.28 £13.20
xxxxxRaise  £0.32 £0.60 £11.41
DAN1889 Fold     
SPAZMO Fold     
becky0020 Call  £0.24 £0.84 £10.01
Batkin88 Raise  £0.72 £1.56 £6.23
griff1988 Fold     
xxxx Raise  £1.52 £3.08 £9.89
becky0020 Fold     
Batkin88 Call  £1.04 £4.12 £5.19
Flop

Batkin88 Check     
xxxxxCheck     
Turn

Batkin88 Check     
xxxxxCheck     
River

Batkin88 All-in  £5.19 £9.31 £0.00
xxxxx Call  £5.19 £14.50 £4.70
Batkin88 Show

xxxxx Show
  • K
  • A

Batkin88 Win Straight to the 10 £13.42  £13.42
I like to make moves on specific players so i picked this hand to do it, put player on ACE KING before flop come down he is ultra tight but bet sizes are very readable. Flop was good for me so checked for a check raise, tried again on turn but he checked behind so shoved on river and he called which was remarkable hero calling. However i would of shoved had the last card been anything else but an ace or king.
Posted this not to brag but just to see what other players think about this type of play and if they do any similar moves on readable opponents.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    lol.

with the obvious straight, flush etc why would anyone called your river shove with ace high?

did you use your "go on shove" tilting tactic to make them call??? ;)
  • edited September 2010
    preflop is bad

c/ring flop is bad

c/ring turn is less bad

shoving river is fine
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    If you wanna squeeze 3bet bigger, but this kind of move is not going to be profitable at this level.

C/ring the flop is bad as you have 0 fold equity as shown by his call on the river.
  • edited September 2010
    this is not good. I think your opponent probably played the hand better. Do you have any evidence that he always has AK here? Seems like AK was the only hand that you could put him to justify your call pre.
  • edited September 2010
    rename the topic "how to burn money" and it's nh
  • edited September 2010
    the best way to 'make moves' vs predictable people is to call their raises or 3bets in position, float low flops and bet turn or check back and bet the river depending on what lvl they are thinking
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Make a move:
    rename the topic "how to burn money" and it's nh
    Posted by zing
    This i liked
  • edited September 2010
    batkin, just admit you got away with murder here and move on....
  • edited September 2010
    You came up smelling of roses on the river but could have been so easy neck deep in .... sh ine your buttons with brasso!
  • edited September 2010
    like i said i had him on ace king from start the only way he was winning this hand was with a spade flush, i would of put him in with pair of sevens, i knew i was ahead on river even if the river wasnt my str8, i was shoving all the way to make my hand look like a bluff. i have done this move twice once at nl50 and got £35 and once here and got this. Also in answer to the doubters i had him on ace king pre which i also announced in the chatbox, i have countless notes on this player and enjoyed the hand, lol obviously.
    I also made a bet with another player on how long it would take for yb to slate my play. I lost that bet because i thought i would be withing 5 mins lol
  • edited September 2010
    i play with yb a fair amount and he is an excellent played.  you would do well to take notice of his advice rather than getting on the defensive as if his posts are a personal attack.

your reads contradict each other as well.  in the OP you say that villain is ultra tight, yet on your latest post you say that you would go all in with just the 77...presumably for value?  so is he really tight?  and his call on the end would indicate that he is far from ultra tight.

to become better at poker you have to leave your ego and just accept that you are a fish. i dont mean that to sound offensive, what i mean by it is that poker is such a complex game there are very, very few players that can actually claim they are any good.

i accept that im a fish and i only make a profit because there are ever bigger fish than me out there.

good luck and rather than making side bets about helpful forumers actually listen and learn from them.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    lol how much was the bet? Next time PM me and I'll try to get on here faster innit!

so you told your opponent halfway through the hand that you knew he had AK?! lol
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    i accept that im a fish and i only make a profit because there are ever bigger fish than me out there.
    Posted by scotty77
    weeeeeeeeeeeeee

this just about sums my game up too lol
  • edited September 2010
    lol how much was the bet? Next time PM me and I'll try to get on here faster innit! so you told your opponent halfway through the hand that you knew he had AK?! lol
    Posted by yb
    I told him and the rest of the table before the flop.
  • edited September 2010
    i play with yb a fair amount and he is an excellent played.  you would do well to take notice of his advice rather than getting on the defensive as if his posts are a personal attack. your reads contradict each other as well.  in the OP you say that villain is ultra tight, yet on your latest post you say that you would go all in with just the 77...presumably for value?  so is he really tight?  and his call on the end would indicate that he is far from ultra tight. to become better at poker you have to leave your ego and just accept that you are a fish. i dont mean that to sound offensive, what i mean by it is that poker is such a complex game there are very, very few players that can actually claim they are any good. i accept that im a fish and i only make a profit because there are ever bigger fish than me out there. good luck and rather than making side bets about helpful forumers actually listen and learn from them.
    Posted by scotty77
    1st of all it wasnt a dig at yb! I know he is a good player and i do listen to advice if its given correctly, however i am more than capable of playing poker myself. However the post is about making moves and this is a move i got 100 % rightand the result proves it.He would of folded to any check raise on flop and turn but he didnt bet and i wanted him to put chips in first, i knew i could win this hand pre flop aslong as no king or ace turned up.
    Like i also said it wasnt a bragging post, it was a ridiculous call on river but the only value bet i could get was by shoving and hoping he thought i was bluffing which he did.
    I sat at another  table for about 6 hours with this player aswell and have played against him/her on plenty of occassions b4 . I like my move lol and plenty of others will and some wont which is fine. But by just having a pop isnt giving advice is it?
  • edited September 2010
    by the way aswell yb thanks for the advice i have taken the fold equity in cheers for that but i was adamant i had his hand spot on, which i did and i know i wont all the time. But are u ever that adamant u know there hand? or not? is it always a range?
  • edited September 2010
    preflop is bad c/ring flop is bad c/ring turn is less bad shoving river is fine
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    i dont agree pre flop was bad unless u want to only ever play premium hands then ur a nit and i aint im aggressive and like to pressure tight players every now and then with cra p hands lol
  • edited September 2010
    reminds me  of my hand i posted the other day. made a cpl of bad moves but got away with it and got critised on here for it (rightly so). learnt from it tho and will think again in that position

Totally agree with you on last post tho about raising it up against some of these tight players  pre -flop with dodgy hands. can get some big pots when hit and rep when miss .  
  • edited September 2010
    ty mp33 nail on head
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Meh I think you would need to have an unbelievably good read on someone to be able to put them on just one hand preflop. I can't soulread so all I can do is put them on a range (which obv includes AK in this case).

You posted this hand and asked what other people thought so I gave you my opinion which obv isn't necessarily right. But better players than me have also said that they think this move is pretty bad, if this wasn't a brag post and you actually did want to learn maybe you should take some of this advice on board like Scotty says?

Btw next time you have such a good read on someone its probably best not to tell your opponent halfway though the hand that you know what they have, you kinda lose your edge doing that!

gl
  • edited September 2010
    Meh I think you would need to have an unbelievably good read on someone to be able to put them on just one hand preflop. I can't soulread so all I can do is put them on a range (which obv includes AK in this case). You posted this hand and asked what other people thought so I gave you my opinion which obv isn't necessarily right. But better players than me have also said that they think this move is pretty bad, if this wasn't a brag post and you actually did want to learn maybe you should take some of this advice on board like Scotty says? Btw next time you have such a good read on someone its probably best not to tell your opponent halfway though the hand that you know what they have, you kinda lose your edge doing that! gl
    Posted by yb
    To be honest i do value opinions and u gave me help and i thanked u for that although i didnt expect u to help me i expected u to slate the move.
    I was playing low limit so and was bored to be honest but was amazed how right i was on the read-#[
  • edited September 2010
    I would have assumed i'd posted in this thread. 

THIS

preflop is bad

c/ring flop is bad

c/ring turn is less bad

shoving river is fine

and

scotty "i accept that im a fish"
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Make a move : To be honest i do value opinions and u gave me help and i thanked u for that although i didnt expect u to help me i expected u to SLATE THE MOVE. I was playing low limit so and was bored to be honest but was amazed how right i was on the read-#[
    Posted by Batkin88
    Why is this i wonder.
    Is it because you would have slated it yourself?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Make a move : i dont agree pre flop was bad unless u want to only ever play premium hands then ur a nit and i aint im aggressive and like to pressure tight players every now and then with cra p hands lol
    Posted by Batkin88

limp raising then flatting a 4bet OOP with ten high does not equal putting pressure on tight players. 
    if you wanted to get tight players to fold do it postflop not preflop.
    especially at nl8.
    you do realise the fact that he checks back AK on this flop means that your intended c/r is bad.
    you should be leading the turn for protection imo.

i am a super nit.
  • edited September 2010
    surely lol if he's reraising pre with AK our limp reraise is bad because it's not repping a strong enough range to start with.

meh we won musta been played well imo.
  • edited September 2010

i wouldnt slate the play im just use to yb slating my plays in response to igimc everyone plays differently.

In reply to Beaneh i played the player which isnt correct i was intending the thread to be about players and what kind of moves they make or have made.
    However if u had the ace king in ur hand u never would of put me on 10 7 so where would u of got me off the hand? or where could the ace king of won the hand? (apart from pre where i would of obv folded, but my notes state he shoves with AA QQ and 44 and the reason for 44 is because its his favourite hnd so i could discount them hands when he didnt shove)
    I was also under the impression that a limp re raise shows strength?? is that not right? lol i am trying to improve my game so am taking on board advice! But everyone makes out premium hand sare the only hands they play lol

• edited September 2010
    theres no reason to have a limp re-raising range at all at 6max. Especially at a level where people are more likely to limp behind. If you wanna make moves at least do it in position agaisnt people. I would say though making these moves isnt gonna get you as far as having a solid preflop game and being able to valuebet postflop and give away as little chips as possible when your bluffing. That is how you outplay people at the micros.