You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changing from cash to DYM

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I have to admit i hate cash games these days, i used to play NL50 and i was winning money but constantly grinding out to get my BR up, im more of an MTT player but have started playing DYMS.
This is a post to reg DYM players really but would like other opinions if it isnt just a rant.
ns
1: Is there earning potential on just playing DYMS constantly if so how many a day should i be looking to play?
2: Which buy in limit has the best players? is it the higher limits? I find £11 often quite easy but sometimes some good players turn up at £5.50
3: Which limit level would u reccomend (taking my BR out of the equation)
4:Is it worth multi tabling if multi tabling effects ur game slightly? (Seems a silly question but DYMS are a bit robotic)

Would appreciate any advice

Comments

• edited September 2010

Hi Batkin,

I've been playing DYMs consistently for the last 3 months (and had played a few before as well), basically to see if there is any earning potential just playing them. I played £5.50 in July, £11 in August, £22 September and am now rolled to play £33 in October (although I've had a change of plan due to my answer to Q1 below).

1) It depends what kind of earning potential you mean. If you mean steadily building a bankroll then yes definately. I think my bankroll was sitting at about £30 at the beginning of July and will be around £1200 after cash for points this month. If you mean actually earning a living then I don't think so I'm afraid. Due to low ROIs in DYMs (inherent in that type of game), and availability of games (as you move up the levels games become increasingly harder to fill (although there's generally at least 2 x £22 ones running throughtout the day and more at night obviously), I have come to the conclusion that the most I could ever make under the current system is £750 per month (in cash for points). This can be done playing nearly 700 games at the £33 level. Throughout the last 3 months my target has been either 600 or 700 games so you're looking at about 20 -23 games per day. (These are just my own observations please see also my answer to q4 below re multi-tabling for possible other approaches).

2) I can keep this one shorter (thankfully). In general the level of player increases with every level. Yes, there are exceptions sometimes and I have known other DYM regs who also (really) believe that the £11 level is easier than the £5.50 one. But it's not in my experience. In fact there's quite a leap to the £11 level and an even bigger one to the £22 level. Unusually though, after that it's much of the same players from what I've observed so I think once you master £22 you'll be pretty much set (although there are one or two player that only play £55+ eg Mr Nutter).

3)+4) I've taken these together as I think the limit depends on how many tables you are playing. As I've said above there's generally only 2 £22 DYMs running throughout the day and they are really quite tough to beat (I wouldn't do these on mini-view but then I can't do any games on mini-view for some reason). I've said all I can above re earning potential doing what I do (did?) - 2 tabling. The only other thing I can think is that it may be possible (and if it is it should be a lot easier) if you are the kind of person who can 8 or 12 table DYMs to earn more than the figures I have given by, say, playing as many £11 DYMs as are running and then top up to 8 or 12 or whatever with £5.50 ones.

Anyway hope there's some help there for you,

JC

• edited September 2010
    Great advice Johnconnor, just a quick question did you really start from £30? cos i find £5.50 quite beatable and i got £50 in there but play alot of sit n gos(do well), MTT(get unlucky), cash(rubbish most the time) do you think this would be a good way for me to boost my bankroll so that i have enough to properly have a go at cash? i play up to 3 tables and will play usually few hours a night the odd couple of nights a bit more
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Changing from cash to DYM:
    Great advice Johnconnor, just a quick question did you really start from £30? cos i find £5.50 quite beatable and i got £50 in there but play alot of sit n gos(do well), MTT(get unlucky), cash(rubbish most the time) do you think this would be a good way for me to boost my bankroll so that i have enough to properly have a go at cash? i play up to 3 tables and will play usually few hours a night the odd couple of nights a bit more
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Thanks mate. Yeah about £30 I had when I started (Doesn't look like good BR management but I actually intended to deposit but got off to a good start and didn't need to.)

Yes I definately think £5.50s would be a good way to boost your bankroll, like you say you can make a few quid at that level even without cash for points. I don't think £50 is unsufficient to get going but I would just add the following notes of caution:

1) If you're 3 tabling then when you start you're going to have £16.50 out of £50 in play. This would look a bit eerie to me but so long as you can handle that that's fine.

2) My worst run in £5.50 DYMs was losing 9 in a row once, this would deplete your BR. However, I ws probably playing pretty terribly/tilted at the time, like you say they are beatable really.

Finally re cash for points it's hard to say how you'll be fixed but it looks like you're actually putting in decent volume really ( I played 600 a month as I say but only 2 tabling). Cash for points can be a really nice bonus at the end of the month and has usually been the factor that has 'pushed me over' into the next level. Anyway, if you can hit 1000 (£15) or 2000 (£30) I would just say set yourself targets so as not to 'waste' points. (You can always review your target at any point).

Anyway, the very best of luck mate, it takes a bit of patience but it is very satisfying and ultimately rewarding building your BR in this way.

JC
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks JC, i was gonna 1 table until i hit £100, then try 2 tabling them, im pretty comfortable doing it now but think better if i concentrate until got a bit behind. once i hit £300 may go on to cash again nl30 but will play by ear, my problem is i like the odd tourney so i may play a normal sit n go at most while playing these

thanks for the help dude, gl to you also
  • edited September 2010
    cheers john conner i will se u at the tables! Best advice i have ever recieved thanks m8
  • edited September 2010
    yeah on sky you cant really play DYMS for a living, on other sites there is a much higher volume so you can, but the competition will be alot tougher and prob some good ol' chinese collusion rings going around aswell