You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Would you value bet here?

ybyb
edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I've played with the villain a fair bit before and he see me as aggro, especially in this session as I've been raising to isolate the fish quite a bit who's been playing most hands. I'm down a couple of buy-ins at the table too so he might think I'm tilting I guess.

He likes to make moves postflop, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a straight draw because he would raise this on the flop or turn (he often likes bluff/semi-bluff raising the turn against me in a 2way pot when I'm the pf raiser).
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
villain Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £126.46
fish
Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £102.13
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

yb Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £100.38
brandygirl Fold        
Nosebleed_ Call   £4.00 £9.50 £265.07
villain Call   £3.50 £13.00 £122.96
fish Call   £3.00 £16.00 £99.13
Flop

villain Check        
fish Check        
yb Bet   £11.00 £27.00 £89.38
Nosebleed_ Fold        
villain Call   £11.00 £38.00 £111.96
fish Fold        
Turn

villain Check        
yb Bet   £22.00 £60.00 £67.38
villain Call   £22.00 £82.00 £89.96
River

villain Check        

Looking back my turn bet probably should have been a bit bigger to set up a river shove more easily.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    How good's the villain? It's very very hard to put him on an 8 here, but if he sees you as aggro- maybe he's expecting the river bet, and hoping you're going to do all the work for him.

The most likely hand has to be a 9 here for me, any overpair and he would probably have got busy earlier- J10 is another possibility I suppose. I guess you have to consider just how likely he is to call with a hand you have beating- if he was on a busted draw, he's never calling but may shove and give you a problem, if he has a 9 he *might* call if his opinion of you is that bad, and if he has an 8 or 3 then you're in trouble.

For me I'd be checking that behind, there's just not enough hands out there that he's likely to call with, and if he's got enough game to shove allin, I don't see how you could call it.

*edit* just noticed you said fairly sure he's not on a busted draw. That changes things a bit I suppose- it all hinges on whether his respect for you is low enough to call with a pair on an already double paired board. Is he likely to slowplay an overpair? Still think I'd check and make a note on what he has- if you got him beat, it's still a fairly substantial pot.
  • edited September 2010
    if he loves to bluff/semi bluff raise turn then he should be doing it with all his 8x hands also
  • edited September 2010
    jam and get paid by a nine