You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Question for multitabling regs

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
How many losing sessions on the trot would you consider normal, or at least acceptable.  Also how many buyins down would you cosider as standard.
I`m currently at the wrong end of a £600 downswing, probs 2 buyins at 100nl, and the rest at 20-30-50nl.
I took an unsuccessful shot at 100nl, moved back down to 50nl, where i got spanked, then back down to 20/30nl, where I seem to be getting spanked again lol.

I do consider myself to have run pretty bad, tho not terrible.  I also feel the damage could have been limited, as losing so regularly atm def affects my play and have made some horrendous plays that I prob wudnt have done if I was running well.

Ive had 1 winning session this month, out of probably 7 sessions, I won 5 buyins at 20nl, the very next session, I lost 4.5 buyins.

I was down £180 in 1 day at nl20/30, probs playing for 4-5 hours.  This is the one that made me sit up and think.  Thats a lot isnt it?, surely thats not normal?

Its not just this tho, my swings seem to be quite drastic on a reg basis, even before this downswing, up and down, more down tho

All responses and advice appreciated........apart from taking a break :-)

Comments

• edited September 2010

I had a bad down swing about 6 weeks ago increased my BR 5 fold then bang a run where I lost everyday lossing 3/4 of my BR, I think this has the knock on effect on ones play you either play to tight folding when you should be calling and then frustration kicks in and you make bad plays. I had a day off not playing to work out what I was doing wrong my conclusion was it was my state of mind which the down swing seems to do to you.

I think you have to tell yourself you are a winner, play solid poker and move down a level once you get a few winning sessions under your belt it seems to come back. I have now got my BR back to before the down swing and looking back feel it was state of mind due to a few bad beats which then effected my play.

Hope this helps and is just my opinion.

• edited September 2010
    Iv been in a bit of a downswing lately as well (Until last night) What I would say is generally are you playing well? ignore the tilt parts because you know you have played that badly, if your getting it in infront then obv ur fine.

Are you playing in position? Are you leaking chips by calling OOP just to hit (this was my problem)?
    I would take some time off, I can't say how much because only you know, Seriously taking a break is the best thing you can do, you will know when its time to come back because you will feel pumped to play and the love for the game will be back again.

You a good regular player who is profitable, to build from 20 and 30nl to get to 100nl you obv know how to play. Its just come at a really bad time as you had doubled ur stakes so just hurt that bit more than usual.

Maybe stop for this month and come back fresh to batter everyone in October.

Goodluck
  • edited September 2010
    a -6 buyin session is not out of the norm, i think i have had 7x -10 buyin sessions this year.
    how long will they run for? most of the time i have 3/4 losing days then one winning day then back to 3/4 losing days, it sucks running bad.  this lasted 2 months seeing me over 30 buyins down.
    look for easy tables and dont take shots when your running bad.
  • edited September 2010
     you can doIn Response to Question for multitabling regs:
    How many losing sessions on the trot would you consider normal, or at least acceptable.  Also how many buyins down would you cosider as standard. I`m currently at the wrong end of a £600 downswing, probs 2 buyins at 100nl, and the rest at 20-30-50nl. I took an unsuccessful shot at 100nl, moved back down to 50nl, where i got spanked, then back down to 20/30nl, where I seem to be getting spanked again lol. I do consider myself to have run pretty bad, tho not terrible.  I also feel the damage could have been limited, as losing so regularly atm def affects my play and have made some horrendous plays that I prob wudnt have done if I was running well. Ive had 1 winning session this month, out of probably 7 sessions, I won 5 buyins at 20nl, the very next session, I lost 4.5 buyins. I was down £180 in 1 day at nl20/30, probs playing for 4-5 hours.  This is the one that made me sit up and think.  Thats a lot isnt it?, surely thats not normal? Its not just this tho, my swings seem to be quite drastic on a reg basis, even before this downswing, up and down, more down tho All responses and advice appreciated........apart from taking a break :-)
    Posted by OMahonyO

Ha Ha, I never read the end of posts,

TBH I donk think the amount of buyins down you are really matters, if your running bad not alot you can do about it. Just play through it if you don't want a break, As long as you are still playing within decent BRM then carry on. Sometimes you need to play below your level to restart things
  • edited September 2010
    as losing so regularly atm def affects my play and have made some horrendous plays that I prob wudnt have done if I was running well. Ive had 1 winning session this month, out of probably 7 sessions, I won 5 buyins at 20nl, the very next session, I lost 4.5 buyins. I was down £180 in 1 day at nl20/30, probs playing for 4-5 hours.  This is the one that made me sit up and think.  Thats a lot isnt it?, surely thats not normal? Its not just this tho, my swings seem to be quite drastic on a reg basis, even before this downswing, up and down, more down tho All responses and advice appreciated........apart from taking a break :-)
    Posted by OMahonyO

I know its easier said than done but forgetting about the losses and starting each session as a fresh. I have played 4-5 hours or more constantly at lower levels though, but seem to do better taking a break every hour even if its for 5 or ten mins. Theres also table selection etc etc and listen to Trevor Harris.  GL
  • edited September 2010
    just because its a new day does not mean you have stopped tilting. If youre still thinking about the losses from the day before, dont play. If the first time you lose a buyin your gonna think "god why do i run so bad" stop playing. Theres no better way to demolish your bankroll than to keep playing when youre not playing well.

I lost 6 of my first 7 sessions this month. It happens. I would say losing anything upto 5 buyins a session is standard, 6 or 7 and i usually quit. Have only went over 10 buyins once this year.

Its easy to question whether your ever gonna win again when your in the middle of a downswing. You question your play, if you were ever really that good or just running good. Sometimes you just need ot look at the bigger picture. If the downswing isnt that big a hit on your yearly or lifetime profits then theres really not that much to worry about.

Downswings are also essential to getting better. Everyone works harder to improve when theyre losing. Its what makes you a better player.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Question for multitabling regs:
    just because its a new day does not mean you have stopped tilting. If youre still thinking about the losses from the day before, dont play. If the first time you lose a buyin your gonna think "god why do i run so bad" stop playing. Theres no better way to demolish your bankroll than to keep playing when youre not playing well. I lost 6 of my first 7 sessions this month. It happens. I would say losing anything upto 5 buyins a session is standard, 6 or 7 and i usually quit. Have only went over 10 buyins once this year. Its easy to question whether your ever gonna win again when your in the middle of a downswing. You question your play, if you were ever really that good or just running good. Sometimes you just need ot look at the bigger picture. If the downswing isnt that big a hit on your yearly or lifetime profits then theres really not that much to worry about. Downswings are also essential to getting better. Everyone works harder to improve when theyre losing. Its what makes you a better player.
    Posted by offshoot
    Offshoot gets it right - except not "everyone" reacts that way. In fact, most don't. But should.

We cannot possibly expect to win every single session. If we did, Online Poker would die within a few weeks, because everyone else would be busto.

Day to day results are just keeping the score. It's long-term that counts.
  • edited September 2010
    i think how you cope with downswings is an individual thing. 

i went on similar sized downswing at the end of august.  my problem was that i was calling off far more than i should.  i decided to start september playing pretty much only sngs.  it helped no end especially playing dyms cos you have to play tight in those things to be profitable (imo)

i also played a load of heads up poker just to give myself a break from the 6 max grind but without actually taking a break from playing poker.

i recommend changing things up a little just to clear your head of the downswing and the pressure of trying to get out of it.
  • edited September 2010
    The more you play the more you downswing it's suucccccch fun. yay