You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is it possible to fold KK pre flop???

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic

This is a probably a question that has been asked before but i bet it has so many different opinions. Is is possible to fold kings pre flop?

I hadn't been on this table long, so i had no decent reads, but the alarm bells did start ringing after he put me all in after my reraise

Should I have folded, or in the long term is this going to cost me money by thinking they have AA everytime they shove all in pre flop

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
lee06 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £31.87
Marvel7 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £28.10
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

daves5427 Fold     
IRNBRU99P Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £35.01
LeopardGod Fold     
lee06 Fold     
Marvel7 Raise  £1.80 £3.15 £26.30
IRNBRU99P Raise  £3.90 £7.05 £31.11
Marvel7 Raise  £5.40 £12.45 £20.90
IRNBRU99P All-in  £31.11 £43.56 £0.00
Marvel7 All-in  £20.90 £64.46 £0.00
IRNBRU99P Unmatched bet  £7.51 £56.95 £7.51
Marvel7 Show
  • K
  • K

IRNBRU99P Show
  • A
  • A

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

IRNBRU99P Win Two Pairs, Aces and 5s £55.15  £62.

Comments

• edited September 2010

Not against this guy.....

I know what you mean though. I would say with kings, just take your medicine, you have to have a spot on read and hardly ever make the wrong fold......to make folding KK worth-while.....

With Queens though, at nl30 on sky and 100xbb effective stacks, I think a fold can sometimes be quite easy, coz the worst people stack off with is AK, although the majority of players won't even 3-bet AK pre flop, so you're looking at a push all in pre-flop being almost exclusively AA, KK or QQ.....

So Queens are foldable IMO, as is AK.

I know Im playing bad/tilted a bit when Im putting £30 in pre flop against nl30 players on sky with QQ or AK !

There are of course 2/3 players where i'll get it in quite hapily with 8 high ;) (or at least a wider range of hands than KK+, lol)

• edited September 2010
    Im sure you will get people saying on here that KK is foldable preflop in some circumstances, however i've never done it and probably never will, even if i was last to play in a 10 seater and all the others were all in and it was the bubble of the WSOP and the mafia had my wife held hostage, i'd still call lol.
  • edited September 2010
    see someone fold aa on the bubble of a sat!

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Is it possible to fold KK pre flop???:
    see someone fold aa on the bubble of a sat!
    Posted by pod1
    When you resort to doing that i think its time to give the game up! no matter how much anyone tries to convince me, i just aint ever gonna fold AA preflop and if i lose so be it!
  • edited September 2010

Oh I assumed from the example hand that the guy meant in cash games........

Pod - How's ur heads up play going? What level r u at now? Whats ur username on PS? Can u PM me it?

Cheerz.
  • edited September 2010
    doing ok mate. not on ps was on bet 3x5, the aa fold was at a regional finals for nxts  . top 6 got a seat in nationals, he was sat in 2nd pos and chipleader pushed all in against the short stack bb. think i woulda done the same
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    Your raise sizes are too small, never fold KK pre in cash games though when only 100bbs deep.

And loonytoons folding AA in a sat is standard if you think you have more than ~80% chance of qualifying anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    Your raise sizes are too small, never fold KK pre in cash games though when only 100bbs deep. And loonytoons folding AA in a sat is standard if you think you have more than ~80% chance of qualifying anyway.
    Posted by yb
    Do you mean i should of raised him more when he re -raised me to 3.90. Should i put a bet of about £8-10 which would of given me the opportunity to fold  - even though i doubt i would of!
  • edited September 2010
    you got your £20 all i pre flop with only aa beating you so i dont think anyone is folding kk pre in a cash game.....i folded kk at the spt final after i raised 4x bb and the bb went all in for 90% of my stack,i showed my kings and he showed aa.....but im never folding pre in cash

gl, dave
  • ybyb
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Is it possible to fold KK pre flop??? : Do you mean i should of raised him more when he re -raised me to 3.90. Should i put a bet of about £8-10 which would of given me the opportunity to fold  - even though i doubt i would of!
    Posted by Marvel7
    Both your 3bet and 5bet raise sizes need to be bigger to get more value, don't think about folding still.
  • edited September 2010
    KING AND A KING

ARREEEEEEEEEN
  • edited September 2010
    never folding kk even if i thought they had aa lol
  • edited September 2010

KK is the only other unfoldable hand all-in pre in a cash game,anything else is player or situation dependant but KK is not.

• edited September 2010
    1st thing here happens so many times on here aa v kk  i have layed down kings i new dam well hed aa when hed come over top off my raise i fold he showed me hes aa so when someone comes right over top off your raise pre flop take your hand off the mouse and think before u act
  • edited September 2010
    1st thing here happens so many times on here aa v kk  i have layed down kings i new dam well hed aa when hed come over top off my raise i fold he showed me hes aa so when someone comes right over top off your raise pre flop take your hand off the mouse and think before u act
    Posted by scrumdown
    nit ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by scrumdown
    But how many times have ya folded KK and they didnt have AA?
  • edited September 2010
    Someone folded KK at SPT, put opo on AA and his read was correct.
  • edited September 2010
    yea i was on that table it was a pretty eay fold when 200bbs deep in a deepstack MTT

cash game for 100bb is totally different