You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

the blocker bet?

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
i am new to sky poker and have heard lots of talk of the blocker bet!! but i cant actually see the point of this because surely if your not really confident of your hand but are willing to bet it but your hand cant take a re raise then surely it is better to checl call.also if your hand is good and your opponent has got a missed draw or such like then if u check he is probably going to have a pop at the pot anyway.where if u put a blocker in and get a reraise you probably have to fold anyway.so surely in the long run the check call is more profitable?  what do you guys think?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    In Response to the blocker bet?:
    i am new to sky poker and have heard lots of talk of the blocker bet!! but i cant actually see the point of this because surely if your not really confident of your hand but are willing to bet it but your hand cant take a re raise then surely it is better to checl call.also if your hand is good and your opponent has got a missed draw or such like then if u check he is probably going to have a pop at the pot anyway.where if u put a blocker in and get a reraise you probably have to fold anyway.so surely in the long run the check call is more profitable?  what do you guys think?
    Posted by BANKY10

[  ] op has heard of betting for information
    [  ] op has heard of either 'way ahead or way behind scenario'
    [  ] op is good a teh pokerz
    [  ] check-call is profitable
    [x] i LOL'd
  • edited September 2010
    bit harsh to the new guy sikas? Check calling can be profitable.
  • edited September 2010
    Very harsh sikas, personally blocker bet would be more profitable then check calling mainly cos you wont always get people betting when you check to them so your missing an extra bet, also sometimes a blocker bet will not get called so must be +ev

check calling will only be profitable if you know the opponent and/or you have the nuts
  • edited September 2010
    the point of the blocker bet is because it stops the bluff. If u put that blocker bet out the player waiting to make a move on the turn with air cant bluff unless he wants to re raise a bluff!! If u check and he bets half ur stack and u have top pair with half decent kicker u fold, you bet blocker bet say 400 he isnt going to put that bet in.
  • edited September 2010

You chose the size of the bet, therefore you get to show-down cheaper. 
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: the blocker bet?:
    You chose the size of the bet, therefore you get to show-down cheaper. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

And if you get raised, you get to get out cheaper.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to the blocker bet? :   [  ] op has heard of betting for information [  ] op has heard of either 'way ahead or way behind scenario' [  ] op is good a teh pokerz [  ] check-call is profitable [x] i LOL'd
    Posted by sikas
    i was talking about on the river but thanks for no advice it must be nice being a smart alec like you.i think someone has been watching to much poker on tv lol
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: the blocker bet? : And if you get raised, you get to get out cheaper.
    Posted by ricoramb03
    sorry i didnt expain properly i meant only on the river to check call, is the blocker still the best option on the river rather than the check call?