You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

playing middle pairs

hi all, just like to get a few sugestions on how to play middle pairs, i.e 5's 6's 7's etc. i tend to just call or call a small raise early in a tournament, do u think this is a good way ? i never realy no how to play them half way through or latish in a turnament, any thoughts ?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    In Response to playing middle pairs:
    hi all, just like to get a few sugestions on how to play middle pairs, i.e 5's 6's 7's etc. i tend to just call or call a small raise early in a tournament, do u think this is a good way ? i never realy no how to play them half way through or latish in a turnament, any thoughts ?
    Posted by lilford10
    Depends on the other players on the table and, more importantly, your position!
  • edited June 2009
    i agree with dowzer...position is key. i limp early on in tournaments with medium pairs, but depending on the blinds in the latter stages, i shove, depending on position and what you know on your opponents...hope this helps :)

churchy
  • edited June 2009

yeah i normally limp early in a tounament to try and hit a set, bit like playing conecters rearly. when i get to the later stage's (not very often) i tend to find myself folding to a raise or an allin with middle pairs, i  very realy have a large stack, normally sumwere in the middle so i allways have a tough choice. allso im not an aggresive player, pretty tightish realy so i suppose it suits my play

• edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: playing middle pairs:
    yeah i normally limp early in a tounament to try and hit a set, bit like playing conecters rearly. when i get to the later stage's (not very often) i tend to find myself folding to a raise or an allin with middle pairs, i  very realy have a large stack, normally sumwere in the middle so i allways have a tough choice. allso im not an aggresive player, pretty tightish realy so i suppose it suits my play
    Posted by lilford10
    This is also what I sometimes end up doing at the end of a tourney and then I get blinded out and spend hours kicking myself for not having moved with my mid pair - Im teaching myself to move with these hands before its gets to the point where I end up all in with total junk. Try not calling with the mid pair at this stage of the tourney - push with it meaning you have no decision and put the decision on someone else.
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to playing middle pairs:
    Posted by lilford10
    There is no definitive answer. It all depends on stack size, position, how aggressive the table is, how big the blinds are etc etc.

Early on - limp and hope to flop a set. Call a raise in multiway pots, otherwise fold. On flop: no set, no bet.
    Key tip: if you hit your set, lead out into the pre-flop raiser. Most people check-raise in this situation and generally they're wrong to do that.

At the final table when no-one has entered the pot before you:
    On the button with the big stack and large blinds, these are worth an all-in to steal the blinds, but not if any of the blinds can seriously hurt you. If that's the case make a standard 3 or 4 BB raise but fold to a re-raise.
    Under the gun and medium stack, they are a fold (can't risk the whole tournament on these hands)
    Middle position and small stack, they are an all-in (pairs come 1 in 17 hands. You will almost certainly be in a race against a big stack but with the odds 13/10 in your favour).

Key thing though - you just can not limp with these hands if the blinds are high. You're either raising or you're gone. If you see a flop the same applies, you're either raising or you're gone.

• edited June 2009
    thanks for the tips guys