You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

which game

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
hi guys which is best mtt sit an go or cash to learn the game and why

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I learnt the game playing double your money's.

Give the micro ones a go first and see how you get on.

Once i had built up a nice bank roll i moved over to cash at the 2/4p level, then moved up from there.

Others will say try he cheap deepstacks as you get lots of play for little money.

gl.......................................
  • edited September 2010
    cash,

1) theres more skill involved

2) you can come and go as you please

3) anybody whose any good plays mainly cash
  • edited September 2010
    The deepstacks are also a good way to learn the game but as ajs says cash is the only way to win consistent money if you are a decent player
  • edited September 2010
    for a player new to the game, sit and go's or MTTs are best.

they have a set buy in, so you know that you are only risking X amount of pounds or so.  you can wait and just watch for a while too.  MTTs last for 3/5 hours depending on the tournie.  sit and go's ususally last for around an hour to an hour and half.

double your money sit and go's also give you a reasonable chance of cashing too, as long as you play tight ABC poker.

once you get a feel for the game and are more confident, then move to higher levels or cash.

if your BR allows, then look for the Orfordouble deepstakes (I think they are on at 7ish) or the Take on Tikay (on at 8.30 4 nights per week) tournaments.  these are good as they have a high proportaion of forum users playing in them so thers always good chat and you can ask for advice.

do check out the forum when you can.  you'll pick up a lot of info by just spending 10/15 mins here and there reading posts.  in the 'sky poker tournaments' subsection acebarry10 ususally does threads to alert people to any intereting tournies that are happening that night so something might catch your eye there.

most importantly don't play with money that you can't afford to lose.  everyone who first started out at this game lost a bit at the start, its a learning process.  as long as you stick to a level that you are comfortable with AND you are prepared to take time out to learn then you should do fine.

good luck and apologies for all the spelling mistakes i haven't slept in about 24 hours!

• edited September 2010
    In Response to which game:
    hi guys which is best mtt sit an go or cash to learn the game and why
    Posted by potters186
    I started 7 months ago having never played even free play.

Started out playing micro DYM's because I knew what a game would cost, how much I stood to win and roughly how long a game would take. Also used the sign up bonus points to freeroll for experience and to gauge whether my results were improving.

I found the freeplay tables were a way of managing tilt as a beginner. When things weren't going well I'd blow a few cobwebs away playing really loose on there, gradually tighten up then come back to paying for a game once the freeplay standard drove me to it.

I lost more than I won for the first 2 months but have had small profits each month since and have worked my way up from an original £5 to £50. Currently playing mainly £1 or £2 regular sit & go's plus the Monday night Tikay, again to try and gauge my game against some better players.

Still haven't tried cash yet because as a learner on a (self) limited bankroll I don't want to risk losing money at the speed you can on cash tables, but if the last couple of months results keep going I'll soon give it a try.

Hope that's of use to you potters, and good luck.

• edited September 2010
    You play what you prefer and enjoy most.

I've been playing more cash recently but come to the conclusion I'm rubbish at it.  Im so used to STTs and MTT and games in general that i struggle with having no fixed end point.  I've tried setting myself targets to reach a certain amount but i just got get hang of differences having played tournaments so long.
  • edited September 2010

I disagree with AJS leave the cash alone   to many players playing fast and loose and its very easy to get sucked in and lose money, you have to be a good player to make a profit especialy at the low level games
     I would stick to double your money and and the occasional mtt just dont spend more than you can afford to loose and play to enjoy the game for now