You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Keeping track of your balance in a cash game.......

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Do you guys do this? especially the multi tablers?

For example when I used to 2 table on sky, if I was 2 buy ins down, it wud be in my mind that Im 2 buy ins down, and I'd be playing to get level.......(not playing differently, or maybe I was sub-consciously?) 

I would know exactly when I'd got back level for the session......

Do you guys who play 6 tables + ever think about where you are? Or do you switch off completely and "just play"?

Obv if ur reloading/topping up regular, you will have a rough idea but wont know exactly where you are.

What do u reckon??

Comments

• edited September 2010
    If i'm down a few buyins I just sit in the corner and cry.
  • edited September 2010

Haha yeh Ive done abit of that......

On the site I've been on the last week or so, I just feel as though Im freerolling, coz I just stuck 200 quid on to play around with new games/formats etc...

So although im playing to win, I dnt really care when I get out-drawn for a stack, in fact I don't even know coz I have auto-top up on.......

Its refreshing to play without pressure.

It's not a bankroll issue, but I'm such a bankroll nit it's annoying. 

Anyone been thru owt like this?
  • edited September 2010
    On sky you could leave the cashier tab up and just look at that, I never pay attention, why would you it should affect nothing.
  • edited September 2010

Well I know it shouldn't and I don't think it does, apart from my frame of mind.

It doesn't effect individual decisions directly......

I'm always paranoid about where I am. Ima tite b******d !!!
  • edited September 2010
    I'm a bankroll nit in both Poker and life so I always know exactly where I am, I know what extra's I have had to put on the table and how much of that has been won back / in profit I am. If I reach an amount im happy with I cash out, thats why sometimes I can play for 2 or 3 hours sometimes ill only play for 30 - 40 minutes.
  • edited September 2010
    I used to be like flashflush, until I read a book called Pokermind set, and they say its best if you dont know how much you are either up or down during a session because then your decisions are purely about making the right play and are not affected by money. If i have to reload I dont look at my current account balance, that way I don't know if im up or down.
  • edited September 2010

As beaneh said, whether your up or down should not affect the way you play the hand. I try not to think being up or down, then at the end of the session ill work it out. Obviously im pretty aware if im up or down. Although its pretty annoying when I think im up loads and am not actually, or think im down a little and actually loads down.  

• edited September 2010
    if im playing nl20 i set it in my mind its 2000 chips and play with out the pound figure in my head! nl50 i cant so i rarely play there. And i only know if im up or down by the end of the day.
  • edited September 2010
    its a bad habit. You should try and ignore it until the end of your session. It cant really help you in any positive way but can make you play worse.
  • edited September 2010
    I know exactly how much I am up or down whether I am on 1 table or 6. 

I am so tight I hate being down even after posting the first blind.  I have tried thinking it terms of BB's at the table but that don't seem to work.