You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Combating aggression at Omaha

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
How to do it?

I was at a table in the Omahartigan league (PLO8) where there was a guy raising every hand pre-flop and almost all post-flop. Eventually I got frustrated and went all-in against his post-flop raise when I flopped a set with no lo and no obvious draws on board only to have the player between us call with a set and better kicker.

It wasn't a good shove by me, I don't need to be told that.

But how do you combat aggression like this in Omaha when very few hands are better than 2/1 favourite? I was beginning to think it was a good way to play but the villain crashed then not long after me.

Help.

Please.

Comments

• edited September 2010

If it's pot limit, surely he's not gonna be very effective?

See flops and stack him.

Cant really play power stuff in PL omaha as u can't win without having a hand. 

• edited September 2010
    dohhh you say that as if you regularly overbet the pot in holdem?

PLO8 is all about a strong starting hand preflop. i hate the saying but 'tight is right' in PLO8
  • edited September 2010

Hmmmm maybe I meant in hold em I wouldn't be speculating with hands like 67 suited against a maniac I'd tighten right up.....

Whereas omaha your pre flop range against a maniac wud be wider? As so many hands hit the flop hard enough to beat a nutter?

Or is it all relative and I don't know what Im talking about? (I really don't), But that's what I'd do.
  • edited September 2010
      In the early stages of an MTT you should not be too eager to get your chips over the line with preflop aggression unless you have a good starting hand with lots of ways of winning. With this in mind against this kind of raiser the best thing to do is to tighten up and keep your starting range quite narrow. Also play good PLO hands as well as good PLO8 hands because of the unknown of the existance of the Lo pot.

These over-aggressive types tend to crash out very early by overplaying bad to marginal hands. If you can be the one to take them out then good if not then cheer when someone else does.

In the later stages of an MTT against this type of aggression at some point you will just have to draw a line in the sand and 3-bet all-in and hope for the best.