You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU at end of MTT

edited September 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok, so I think this is a weakness I have, mainly due to lack of HU experience. End of MTT stacks are generally fairly shallow compared to blinds, so not much room for moves- but how aggressive is correct? I get streams of useless cards like 73/43/82/52 etc etc and know that being the shorter stacked, I'm going to be called exceptionally light. I have no problems getting my chips in on marginal hands (shoving range is any A, probably any K, any suited connectors, any pair, any 2 pain) but should I be more aggressive in other spots? My opponent wasn't overly aggressive either, but I knew that it only took one mistake and I'm gone- I didn't want to shove with any hand that at least doesn't have some value post flop.

Here's a few of the key hands- a lot of times when I got marginal hands (K10 etc) they were on the BB and folded to me, so I never got a chance to play them.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxx Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 76325.00
DeucesLive Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 40675.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

xxxx Call   3000.00 12000.00 73325.00
DeucesLive ???        
xxxx Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 76325.00
DeucesLive Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 40675.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

xxxx Raise   27000.00 36000.00 49325.00
DeucesLive ???
DeucesLive Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 90350.00
xxxx Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 26650.00
  Your hole cards

DeucesLive ???
DeucesLive Small blind   3000.00 3000.00 72350.00
xxxx Big blind   6000.00 9000.00 44650.00
  Your hole cards

DeucesLive ???
Most of the other hands were too garbage to consider, and played themselves.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    jam fold fold jam
    but im bad at short stack hu
  • edited September 2010
    I think position becomes even more important at the end of an MTT. My general advise, if you like you hand and you are BB then shove if not then just check it, otherwie your at a disadvantage for the rest of the hand, if your SB (button) you can afford to be a bit more cute and try take pots on the flop.

Hand 1. Check and see what kind of flop u get
    Hand 2. Fold - Raise is way to high to be a steal
    Hnad 3. Tough - All depends how tight he has been playing, you said he was fairly tight so put pressure on his small stack, keep putting him all in with any cards that have potential (str8/flush)
    Hand4. Raise to about 15k, if he calls re-asses on flop (have u hit, does he check to you) he has enough chips to call pre and fold post flop.

Remember this is his tournament life as well, I love tight players HU, the blinds kill them in second, just pressure, if u get caught you always have outs
  • edited September 2010
     Hu I can call, fold,raise or re-raise with any hand with a good hand I can call, raise, or re-raise. On the flop some times raise with nothing sometimes with the goods or then I could just check with either. Basically I just try to be as unpredictable as possible!
  • edited September 2010

The first hand with less than 10 big blinds and an above average starting hand, + fold equity, is a very easy shove for me.

The 2nd one, is a fold, just because I want to get my money in ahead, and Im still clinging on to my fold equity even if I fold.

The third one, the stacks have reversed, and you are now the chip leader, so you're looking for a spot to finish the guy. This isn't it, fold.

The last one is auwkward, for me it depends alot on momentum, have u stolen the last few pots? Is he either fold/jamming? Or is he calling to see flops? If I felt I was on top, I'd fold it, if he's got the momentum, and i feels like he's outplaying me, I'd jam.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: HU at end of MTT:
    The first hand with less than 10 big blinds and an above average starting hand, + fold equity, is a very easy shove for me. The 2nd one, is a fold, just because I want to get my money in ahead, and Im still clinging on to my fold equity even if I fold. The third one, the stacks have reversed, and you are now the chip leader, so you're looking for a spot to finish the guy. This isn't it, fold. The last one is auwkward, for me it depends alot on momentum, have u stolen the last few pots? Is he either fold/jamming? Or is he calling to see flops? If I felt I was on top, I'd fold it, if he's got the momentum, and i feels like he's outplaying me, I'd jam.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    surprisingly good post, will quote this just because i'm in shock and feel lazy.