You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what percentage of flops should i be looking to play in cash games??

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I'm quite new to playing cash games and i used to mainly play double ups but got bored with them as there was limited action and then it  became  fold or shove.

2 questions
1) what kind of percentage of flops should i be seeing in cash games as i'm always been told your range of hands is a lot wider in cash

2) do you call most flops in small blind if its been an unraised pot? The reason i ask this is becuase i have flopped 2 pair with rags which i normally wouldnt play and someone has sat on low trips and basically took a large chunk of my stack because i thought i was 'priced in' even though i didnt want to play.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I think it is best to find a style and average range which you are comfortable playing, don't feel you have to widen your range if you aren't happy playing worse hands, if you are going to widen your range try to do it in position. That's my opinion anyway, probably a wrong one! lol
  • edited September 2010

Whatever u fancy, there's no right or wrong.

Assess the players on your table and figure out a plan to exploit them. 

If this means playing50% of hands, then do so. If it means waiting for aces or kings, then do so....

Keep adapting to players and situations.

If a player in the big blind folds every single time, then you should raise your small blind every time.,.....

Extreme example but u get the idea.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: what percentage of flops should i be looking to play in cash games??:
    Whatever u fancy, there's no right or wrong. Assess the players on your table and figure out a plan to exploit them.  If this means playing50% of hands, then do so. If it means waiting for aces or kings, then do so.... Keep adapting to players and situations. If a player in the big blind folds every single time, then you should raise your small blind every time.,..... Extreme example but u get the idea.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This is good advice I also feel dont be afraid to 3bet if u think someone is raising light, with cash u can reload unlike a tournament if u get it wrong.
  • edited September 2010
    play the opposite to the table

if everyone is very loose then play tight. if everyone is waiting for the nuts bully them to your hears content. it's ruddy hard to make the nuts!!!
  • edited October 2010
    There is absolutely NO percentage as it all depends on oppos and hands,you may get 37 off for 20 deals and you wouldnt play them OR you could get 4 high pocket pairs in a row followed by AK and you would want to play them all so defo no percentage in cash games
  • edited October 2010
    when learning i feel like playing between 15-20 is a good %
  • edited October 2010
    i agree with offshoot, if you are slightly inexperienced and new to cash games just try and develop a tight and solid preflop gameplan first -this will help you a ton as it sets a good foundation that you can build the rest of your game from, personally i remeber it being one of my many many leaks when i started playing was playing far to many hands. Once you start to grind out lots of hands you can start widening you opening range as you will feel more comfortable playing on various different flops an streets.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to what percentage of flops should i be looking to play in cash games??:
    2) do you call most flops in small blind if its been an unraised pot? The reason i ask this is becuase i have flopped 2 pair with rags which i normally wouldnt play and someone has sat on low trips and basically took a large chunk of my stack because i thought i was 'priced in' even though i didnt want to play.
    Posted by Marvel7
    I did the above when i started playing and it led to disaster 90% of the time!!

Never ever feel like you are "priced in" as you put it when you are in the blinds - especially the small one. Not only will you be the first to act on every street, putting you at a major disadvantage. if you play hands you wouldnt normally play with you will lose more than you win (as you state above) just fold em and move on!