You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£5.50 DYM right move?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
latenight Small blind   75.00 75.00 2825.00
YOUNG_GUN Big blind   150.00 225.00 2660.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

postee34 Fold        
psychopear Call   150.00 375.00 2390.00
harridx Fold        
x Raise   225.00 600.00 2600.00
YOUNG_GUN Call   150.00 750.00 2510.00
psychopear Call   150.00 900.00 2240.00
Flop

• J

x Bet   300.00 1200.00 2300.00
YOUNG_GUN Call   300.00 1500.00 2210.00
psychopear Call   300.00 1800.00 1940.00
Turn

x Bet   600.00 2400.00 1700.00
YOUNG_GUN All-in   2210.00 4610.00 0.0

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Right pre-flop i was planning to raise 3 x but SM decided to min-raise which is dodgy in DYM either someone has a monster or a good hand such as AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ. When i hit the flop i put SB on AK so i just call hoping he would bet out on the turn, when he does i assess the board and think at best he could have AK suited could easily have a high pp here is this the right move here?

The opponent had been playing quite a few pots only the 1 showdown which he had something, i thought i'd put the pressure on for him to call and be behind or fold
  • edited September 2010

Having played a few of these lately, I'd fold pre.....

How would that go down with the dym grinders?????? *hides*
  • edited September 2010
    lol i dont think thats a bad move jj, i have played alot of DYM so i personally wouldnt most the time to a min-raise as they could just as easily be doing it with suited connectors although less likely in DYM does happen
  • edited September 2010
    Yeh Im clueless really, but looking at your stack you seem pretty comfortable, and if Im playing this hand I want to be the aggressor and have position. Here we have nether, and there's already a limper who's never folding, let them go at it. 

• edited September 2010
    I'd just fold preflop as it saves you the hassle when this situation happens, but also once you flop TPTK and he bets 300 I would just shove as your not deep enough to flat call imo but again that might not be the best play in a DYM and is more what I would do in an MTT format. Finally you can see now the other two would have gone to war anyway which could have cut it down to the magic 4 left. All my opinion though.
  • edited September 2010

Ok, so it's 5 handed and you're all roughly equal I think.

The min-raise after a limper is pretty horrid and I would fold just because of this as the limper still has to act after you. You have no need to get busy at this stage.

As played, however, it's very difficult. It looks like you've tried to keep the pot small with the call on the flop which isn't a bad idea generally in these kind of spots I don't think. Having said that, that's not really going to happen here as there's been a raise and 2 callers pre-flop. Really you wanted him to check the turn and river didn't you? (I would have in this spot). With his bet being so weak on the flop I think you should have raised to 750 (a tiny raise but I think you should just pray it's enough to ask a question of a poor opponent) and folded to a shove (knowing that, in a £5.50 DYM you're laying the best hand down quite often, particularly vs KJ,QJ, TJ). But you'd still have 10BB to find a better spot which is plenty.

Were it not for the initial limper, btw, I like a 3 bet to 750 pre, folding to a shove and being aware that AK, AQ are very likely holdings if he flats.

JC

• edited September 2010
    thanks everyone yeah this was big mistake, poor by x as they had KK but it worked lol so many people do this in Dym cant think why its ridiculous and usually i would re-raise them pre but had feeling x was strong just got clingy to top pair top kicker
  • edited September 2010
    no need to play this hand, fold pre
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: £5.50 DYM right move?:
    no need to play this hand, fold pre
    Posted by adam5lad

welcome nice first post im priviliged :o)

well  handed AJ suited is pretty strong, but i can understand everyone saying fold pre, could be ahead but might aswell let the others fight for it or play a small pot as its DYM
  • edited October 2010
    im now only a DYM and MTT player and i would of done the same as u, but i know DYM play is diff so not saying its the right play lol.
    I would raise flop and shove turn, highly likely he has a jack but u got tk so i would shove and go for the win!!!!!
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    We don't need to go ftw its a dym.

I think folding pre is probably best, which is the reason I hardly ever play them! :)
  • edited October 2010
    simple, it is a shove or fold pre depending on whether you think they both fold. Never ever call imo, you are wasting valuable chips with the blinds at 75/150!

I'll will explain more later if necessary, im off to work now. 
  • edited October 2010
    My two cents, your not looking at it like a DYM, protect your BB, raise him 600, if he calls then you try to check it down unless you hit your A, otherwise, if he shoves, you fold.

Your aim here with a decent suited drawing hand is not to knock people out. Better to win a small pot than lose a big one in DYM.

Look at the two possible results of your shove here, you lose 5 quid or a third closer to winning 10. You got to win this at least 2 times in 3 for it to be a profitable move!

How did this hand end btw? His flop/turn bets stink over pair, from min raise I would say QQ most probably as he would be fearing aces and kings too much to put more in.

• edited October 2010
    if we shove we dont always lose 5quid
  • edited October 2010
    fold pre, dnt need to get involved
  • edited October 2010
    fold pre, dnt need to get involved
    Posted by SHANXTA
    generally i agree and would happily fold more often than not in this situation. But, do you agree there could be an argument to shove pre here occasionally too?

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: £5.50 DYM right move? : generally i agree and would happily fold more often than not in this situation. But, do you agree there could be an argument to shove pre here occasionally too?
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I wouldn't want to be shoving here, you have 2.5k which is loads in a DYM, you can win just 600 more by shoving but could lose whole thing if called which would be by a better hand more times than not.
  • edited October 2010
    if we shove we dont always lose 5quid
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    What I meant was you can only lose by shoving, you cant win, not the hand but the DYM itself.
  • edited October 2010
    My two cents, your not looking at it like a DYM, protect your BB, raise him 600, if he calls then you try to check it down unless you hit your A, otherwise, if he shoves, you fold. Your aim here with a decent suited drawing hand is not to knock people out. Better to win a small pot than lose a big one in DYM. Look at the two possible results of your shove here, you lose 5 quid or a third closer to winning 10. You got to win this at least 2 times in 3 for it to be a profitable move! How did this hand end btw? His flop/turn bets stink over pair, from min raise I would say QQ most probably as he would be fearing aces and kings too much to put more in.
    Posted by joegray23
    Very good point there joe thank you, I have posted the result but will copy it:

thanks everyone yeah this was big mistake, poor by x as they had KK but it worked lol so many people do this in Dym cant think why its ridiculous and usually i would re-raise them pre but had feeling x was strong just got clingy to top pair top kicker

definately should have re-raise pre then go into shut down or what not, also looking back was obvious they had hand like KK,AA or QQ and just a silly move which in the heat of the moment i thought it was the correct play, but as joe has said i would need to win these 2/3 times to be profitable also that doesnt gurantee me cashing. I usually do look at it win a small pot and not lose a big point but went out the window here. i will get back on the DYM tomorrow night probably as was doing ok up to this then lost a few