You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GOOD or BAD play?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
cannykid Small blind   1000.00 1000.00 47325.00
Big blind   2000.00 3000.00 36858.75
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

COCASIRF Call   2000.00 5000.00 58525.00
RogueCell Fold     
SoLack Fold     
oxbow247 Fold     
kennybad Fold     
cannykid Fold     
***** Check     
Flop

• A

***** Check     
COCASIRF Bet   4000.00 9000.00 54525.00
sizzling Call   4000.00 13000.00 32858.75
Turn

sizzling Check     
COCASIRF Bet   8000.00 21000.00 46525.00
sizzling Call   8000.00 29000.00 24858.75
River

• J

***** Check     
COCASIRF Bet   8000.00 37000.00 38525.00
***** Call   8000.00 45000.00 16858.75
COCASIRF Show
  • J
  • Q

***** Muck

COCASIRF Win Pair of Jacks 45000.00   83525.00

Comments

• edited October 2010

Nice value u bet !!!

• edited October 2010
    I got called a donk for playing this way. Am I is the question.

If they had raised from the off I would have folded but when they did'nt I gathered they did'nt have an ace
  • edited October 2010
    I say from the off but meant after the flop lol

• edited October 2010
    I'd just fold pre tbh or at least raise it up to around 4700, limping is the worse option imo. After that it's some quite amazing fishing by your opponant with the river taking the biscuit. ;)
  • edited October 2010

No you aren't a donk - as you were betting rather than calling, giving yourself 2 ways to win the hand.

I would raise or fold pre flop - take control of the hand.If you raise, he folds his junk and you sweep up the blinds - saving all the hassle? - easy game?

C-betting the flop is fine.

I spose u have to fire the turn to tell a consistent story, then if you don't think he has an ace, then I'd be betting the river if it comes anything but a club.

I'd wimp out if I hit a pair weirdly, as theres no need to bet.......but u obv had the read and made a great value bet, wp
  • edited October 2010
    Maybe I was wrong in flat calling pre but the way I saw it is that I was'nt in position with so many going after me
  • edited October 2010
    yes loads of players to act after you, which is why u shud raise to stop them coming in, or fold.....
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: GOOD or BAD play?:
    yes loads of players to act after you, which is why u shud raise to stop them coming in, or fold.....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I'm not a very accomplished player and still learning and the way I see it is  If I raised and then someone  for instance goes all in I would have probably folded so would have lost more chips. so why give your chips away when your in a good position in the comp

• edited October 2010
    All of what most have said you told a good story throughout EXCEPT by limping in utg,a raise is fine but not flat calling.
    The only way you can justify a limp here is if 1 or 2 of the players to come after you have been serial raisers and you have say AA or KK and you want to induce a raise from them b4 coming over the top.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: GOOD or BAD play? : I'm not a very accomplished player and still learning and the way I see it is  If I raised and then someone  for instance goes all in I would have probably folded so would have lost more chips. so why give your chips away when your in a good position in the comp
    Posted by COCASIRF
    The key questions here are how many chips are you prepared to lose on your hand, and what is the table like? Are there many pots which are limped all the way round, or does someone normally raise up? If someone normally raises, limping is a bad option. If there are people more than willing to 3bet shove, then raising may not be a good option.

How many chips you're prepared to lose- if you're prepared to lose no more than 2000 preflop, then fold. If you're prepared to lose up to 6000 for example, raise to 6k. If you limp and someone raised it to 6k- would you then call? Because you're almost definitely going to be behind, and then when they raise it up on the flop with an A showing, you basically have to fold. By raising yourself you're probably folding out a horde of raggy aces at that stage, semi-playable hands like KJ/K10/K9/76/87 etc, which may have taken it upon themselves to raise behind you.

If you got a playable hand like QJ, raise it to 6k or fold it, if you get shoved on- make a mental note of the player, and fold. If you get a caller, play it the way you did. You can't spend too much time worrying about what someone may have preflop when you have absolutely zero information on their hand range at that point, other than it's one of 169 possible starting hands.

But great play postflop, and your opponent played it like the donk. He should have shoved turn if he felt he was ahead instead of passively calling off his stack, giving you street after street to catch up.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: GOOD or BAD play? : I'm not a very accomplished player and still learning and the way I see it is  If I raised and then someone  for instance goes all in I would have probably folded so would have lost more chips. so why give your chips away when your in a good position in the comp
    Posted by COCASIRF
    Understand but u have a decent hand and u dont want 4 callers, if for example u limp and the person next to u thinks oh well its cheap il limp in aswell then the rest are being priced in. Raise or fold pre and take full control.
    Like the betting after the flop tho well played and he is the donk not u
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for all your good replies, its very much appreciated