You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A Yen, a Mark, a Buck or a Pound... (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***)

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
It'll be sterling staked this evening, as Hartigan & Harris (of Saville Row) bring you a 'Cash 300' edition of Master Cash!

As Trevor's already mentioned in his own thread, it would be great to see as many players as possible frequenting the £1.50/£3 tables.  If you've got the bankroll, why not give it a go?

The live TV show starts at 8pm.  Trevor will be analysing your hands and answering your questions.  And I'll be entertaining / boring you with anecdotes from EPT London - the biggest live tournament ever held in the UK.

Actually, I'm missing the EPT party tonight, so I can be with you on channel 865.  What's the biggest sacrifice you've ever made in the name of poker?  Pulled a sickie so you could watch live coverage of a major event?  Skipped a family wedding because it clashed with a tournament?  Made excuses about "working late" to play in a cash game?

Please reveal all!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Calling all TV tarts (yes, that means you, TommyD)...

We'll begin this evening's show analysing some 10p/20p action, before we move onto the £1.50/£3 tables!

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: A Yen, a Mark, a Buck or a Pound... (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***):
    Calling all TV tarts (yes, that means you, TommyD)... We'll begin this evening's show analysing some 10p/20p action, before we move onto the £1.50/£3 tables!
    Posted by J-Hartigan

Unashamed!

Have a great show guys.
  • edited October 2010
    I GOT A TRUE STORY FOR YOU JAMES, MY WIFE WAS PREGNANT WITH MY OLDEST ( JESSICA ) WHEN SHE WENT INTO LABOUR PAINS AT NOON ON A SATURDAY AND SHE WANTED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL, WELL I TURNED TO HER AND SAID REMEMBER WHAT THE MIDWIFE SAID LEAVE IT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, WELL IT WAS SATURDAY SO I HAD TO GET FOOTBALL RESULTS FIRST AS IT WAS SHE ENDED UP HAVING AN EMERGENCY C/SECTION ON THE SUN NITE AND THE DOCTER ASKED IF I WANTED TO COME IN, MY REPLY WAS NO-WAY, IT TOOK ME 7 MONTHS TO GET IN HERE YOUR NOT GIVING ME 30MINS TO GO IN THERE, AS I HATE THAT SORT OFF THING.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: A Yen, a Mark, a Buck or a Pound... (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***):
    In Response to Re: A Yen, a Mark, a Buck or a Pound... (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***) : Unashamed! Have a great show guys.
    Posted by TommyD
    Just beware that K Tommy ;)
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to A Yen, a Mark, a Buck or a Pound... (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***):
    It'll be sterling staked this evening, as Hartigan & Harris (of Saville Row) bring you a 'Cash 300' edition of Master Cash! As Trevor's already mentioned in his own thread, it would be great to see as many players as possible frequenting the £1.50/£3 tables.  If you've got the bankroll, why not give it a go? The live TV show starts at 8pm.  Trevor will be analysing your hands and answering your questions.  And I'll be entertaining / boring you with anecdotes from EPT London - the biggest live tournament ever held in the UK. Actually, I'm missing the EPT party tonight, so I can be with you on channel 865.  What's the biggest sacrifice you've ever made in the name of poker?  Pulled a sickie so you could watch live coverage of a major event?  Skipped a family wedding because it clashed with a tournament?  Made excuses about "working late" to play in a cash game? Please reveal all!
    Posted by J-Hartigan

im in...........:)
  • edited October 2010
    Have a great show James, I am in the Open courtesy of the last longer win, last one tonight!!

It's more the other way round for me, other things come before poker but I did have to miss SPT Luton because I was in Vegas so that is a good excuse (although I would have loved to get to SPT Luton)

Can't play the limits you are showing but watching to learn!!

Dave
  • edited October 2010
    Hi guys.
     I have satalited into tomorrows Primo and for some reason I m already a bag of nerves 24hrs before it starts. I dont know wether I should watch tomorrows show while Im playing or not.
     On the plus side I could learn something about my oppossition on the down side I could be distracted and also having the constant reminder my hand could be played on tv may make me even more nervous and effect my game.

• edited October 2010

Not really something I've sacrificed, but some would say it's a weird method or preperation for a big game.....

I freerolled into the big £220 MTT on sky last month, by far the biggest tourny Ive played.

In preparation, I needed to make sure I was drunk in time for the start at 8pm (this is when Im playing my best poker). I was in the club, playing snooker and drinking beer at midday, and got in at 7-30, pretty trashed and looking forward to the game.

I went on to finish 2nd for £2.15k ;)

• edited October 2010
    About the min raise debate, and weather you are priced in to call, or not.....

I didn't hear either of you mention a 3 bet? - Better to raise with any 2 in my opinion, good chance you will sweep up the chips, and also make him think twiice about raising next time !!
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    When you're used to multi-tabling online playing live seems so slow and boring unless you've got something else to do at the same time. Otherwise I just get so frustrated and start playing just about every hand lol.

• edited October 2010
    When you're used to multi-tabling online playing live seems so slow and boring unless you've got something else to do at the same time. Otherwise I just get so frustrated and start playing just about every hand lol.
    Posted by yb
    +1 to YB's reasoning

However I never understand why people don't have the discipline to 'knuckle down' to a live game.  I can play up to 12 tables at once online but when I play live I don't take an Ipod, books, mags or anything.  Here's a suggestion for people who need a distraction at a live game, talk to your table mates, it can be the best fun you can have.  When I turn up to an event with 9 statues on a table listening to music I die a little inside.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: A Yen, a Mark, a Buck or a Pound... (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***) : +1 to YB's reasoning However I never understand why people don't have the discipline to 'knuckle down' to a live game.  I can play up to 12 tables at once online but when I play live I don't take an Ipod, books, mags or anything.  Here's a suggestion for people who need a distraction at a live game, talk to your table mates, it can be the best fun you can have.  When I turn up to an event with 9 statues on a table listening to music I die a little inside.
    Posted by TommyD
    HEAR HEAR

This is the absolute truth right here, had great fun at nottingham just chatting away at the table, and no trouble focusing whatsoever. I do struggle focusing online unless I play multiple tables though, I think I play a lot stronger when there's multiple hands to look at.
  • edited October 2010
    I agree with you, DeucesLive.
    One of the things I love about playing live is the interaction with other players. As a 53 year old female, I wouldn't get a conversation out of these young lads in any other situation! But in a poker tournament, they chat away to me like I'm their best friend.
    I can't play multi games online though. I just can't concentrate properly. I like to watch every hand, so I know who the loose players are, who calls raises with rubbish, etc!
  • edited October 2010
    I agree with Deuces and Tommy

I play live every week and I hardly ever listen to music, if I do it's strictly one ear only so I can focus.

For me poker is such a social game, it's why the SPT's are so popular.

Sian had a great laugh chatting to Sue KidgirlGy and James Dad Brian, 2 lovely people

Chat and make friends FTW

Dave
  • edited October 2010
    A question for James and Trevor, unrelated to anything else but wouldn't mind your opinions-

What poker books would you most recommend (a question I'm sure's been asked a few times... lol)

I'm ordering the harrington book on NLHE tournament play- probably my favourite style of poker, and EHR by gus. What other books are really worthwhile? There's about 20k on amazon, and I didn't fancy wading through them all!
  • edited October 2010
    i`d give poker for live football, unless it`s arsenal playing then it`s poker, i`m sure gregghogg would agree with me on this
  • edited October 2010
    Live Poker : Far more fun. And you can read so much from people. I've mucked sets and gone all-in A highed based solely on reads and was right both times. It's just a completely different game from online. And due to poker players being the low life gambling degenerates they (we) are there's always fun to be had at the tables. I'll listen to music in my own time.

Books : Harrington's have to be the first step. A word of caution that they're written mostly from the viewpoint of a 10 handed game and the tight style he advocates would be destroyed by today's players. Nonetheless there is nothing better than reading through his problems to teach you how to think about the game. "Every Hand Revealed", although a very entertaining and interesting book, is maybe one you don't want to pay too much heed to unless you really know what you're doing post-flop. I learnt that the hard way :-)