You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 advice please

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
CONELL01 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.16
Dares Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.04
  Your hole cards

Strider_78 Fold     
three33320 Fold     
redbatfone Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.17
Patching99 Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £9.48
CONELL01 Call  £0.18 £0.48 £3.98
Dares Call  £0.16 £0.64 £5.88
redbatfone Call  £0.16 £0.80 £3.01
Flop

• J

CONELL01 Check     
Dares Check     
redbatfone Check     
Patching99 Check/Bet???   
Ok, never sure what to do when in this situation.  Basically do I fire out into 3 players or do I just give up?  If there is only one player left in, what do I do then?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    that board has hit a very wide range, if you got it HU pre then i would still say check the flop.
    At 4nl you will find that bluffing is not a good idea, the only time you should be bluffing is a semi bluff with a flush or open end draw.  Pre flop is fine.
  • edited October 2010
    yeah freechips is spot on
    with that hand preflop at nl4 raise th 20p and give up if u miss 90% of the time
  • edited October 2010
    I actually disagree with bluffing.

What I find is that nl4 tends to be EXTREMELY predictable- people rarely ever have check raises in them, and almost always donk bet with top or second pair. If it's checked to you on button, put in a reasonable bet (around 2/3 pot) and see what happens. Chances are they'll fold. If they call, see what happens on the turn- see if any obvious draws have been completed, see if they carry on. Quite often a more substantial bet will see them fold. If they continue to call, and end up showing A high or bottom pair, make a note on how loose they are and tighten up in future.

A lot of players will fold if they have almost nothing, and you need to get the information on them- good thing is, it's cheap to find that information at low limits.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: NL4 advice please:
    that board has hit a very wide range, if you got it HU pre then i would still say check the flop. At 4nl you will find that bluffing is not a good idea, the only time you should be bluffing is a semi bluff with a flush or open end draw.  Pre flop is fine.
    Posted by freechips1
    I'll 2nd this. Pre needs to be bigger bet though, if you dont want to see the flop. That goes for any starting hand at this level.

I would throw in a c bet. Then check to the river.

If no reads, dont bluff. For the sake of 20p or 30p you will be called with air,in the hope of a hit.

Gl at the tables

Mac
  • edited October 2010
    If you get called with air, that's good- after all you actually have a hand. Every chance you will get called by A high, and not only that- they'll telegraph their hand for you as soon as they hit by raising you. If that happens, then you duck out of the way IMO.
  • edited October 2010
    I wouldn't even bet this flop HU btw, 4-way its pretty disgusting
  • edited October 2010
    Its a st8 flushing board with only a pair of 5s so this board scares us, my thought is the other players dont know we have only a pair of 5s and maybe the board worries them as much as us..... why cant we continuation bet here as we are the original raiser and its unlikely we are going to win this pot if we check?????
  • edited October 2010
    If you get called with air, that's good- after all you actually have a hand. Every chance you will get called by A high, and not only that- they'll telegraph their hand for you as soon as they hit by raising you. If that happens, then you duck out of the way IMO.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Sorry Deuces, misunderstanding.

When  i say "If no reads, dont bluff. For the sake of 20p or 30p you will be called with air,in the hope of a hit." i meant in general at this level. Not this particular hand.

Mac
  • edited October 2010
    Its a st8 flushing board with only a pair of 5s so this board scares us, my thought is the other players dont know we have only a pair of 5s and maybe the board worries them as much as us..... why cant we continuation bet here as we are the original raiser and its unlikely we are going to win this pot if we check?????
    Posted by waynecure
    Level of opponents

Also i disagree with a number of post here. I maybe do make a c-bet although i know it wont get through. However i disagree with one thing imparticular freechips said, i wouldnt even semi bluff a draw at this level.

• edited October 2010
    t this level I limp behind pre, tryin to keep some of the bigger stacks priced in, then check fold wnything but a set. As played I`m never cbetting that flop, check fold all day
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    c/f this at any level
  • edited October 2010
    c/f this at any level
    Posted by yb

THIS
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah never Cbet vs multiple oppo's when you have missed, ESPECIALLY micro limits, at least 1 will of hit and they will never fold. I'm done with the hand unless you see a 5.
  • edited October 2010

Thanks for the reply all. 

OMahonyO - I find it intersting you say limp in pre.  I am pretty sure I saw you absolutely destroy this level a while back now but I have always thought a limp pf was a no no in any type of game and by pumping it up I make it easier to get the money in when I do hit a set.   

• edited October 2010
    Thanks for the reply all.  OMahonyO - I find it intersting you say limp in pre.  I am pretty sure I saw you absolutely destroy this level a while back now but I have always thought a limp pf was a no no in any type of game and by pumping it up I make it easier to get the money in when I do hit a set.   
    Posted by Patching99
    Limping pre at this level with a small pocket pair is a good idea, your set mining and people call with any two cards.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the reply all.  OMahonyO - I find it intersting you say limp in pre.  I am pretty sure I saw you absolutely destroy this level a while back now but I have always thought a limp pf was a no no in any type of game and by pumping it up I make it easier to get the money in when I do hit a set.   
    Posted by Patching99

I was playing nl4 back in march after doing my br in a drunken stupour.  I wasnt on it very long as I mass tabled it, and also ran pretty well.
    From what I remember, people will stack off very light. You have a limper before you who is always going to call.  I dont see the probs in letting everyone in here, hands like j7, k8 etc who will happily limp along, will a lot of the time be willing to stack off with top pair.  They also have the bigger stacks.  As soon as you hit your set, pot bet every street
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: NL4 advice please : I was playing nl4 back in march after doing my br in a drunken stupour.  I wasnt on it very long as I mass tabled it, and also ran pretty well. From what I remember, people will stack off very light. You have a limper before you who is always going to call.  I dont see the probs in letting everyone in here, hands like j7, k8 etc who will happily limp along, will a lot of the time be willing to stack off with top pair.  They also have the bigger stacks.  As soon as you hit your set, pot bet every street
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Back in March, shows how long i've been stuggling at this level!!!! 
  • edited October 2010

Bit like this... ;-)

Patching99 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.80
    george1234 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.00
      Your hole cards

gem1989 Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £5.51
    mickw Fold     
    Biffder Call  £0.08 £0.22 £3.31
    max85 Fold     
    Patching99 Call  £0.06 £0.28 £3.74
    george1234 Fold     
    Flop