You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

csah against torny

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
just a quick one. who has the edge a cash player in a tourney or a tourney player in a cash game????

Comments

• edited October 2010
    assuming deepstack tournament and deep stack cash game then the cash game player will have the edge
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: csah against torny:
    assuming deepstack tournament and deep stack cash game then the cash game player will have the edge
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    + 1 agree!
  • edited October 2010
    Cash players have more discipline when it comes to well structured, long events. Generally (I think) it's far easier to make the transition from cash to tournament play than the other way round, since the discipline and game used in cash works very well for cashing in tournaments. Conversely, tournament game doesn't tend to work as well in cash, since most good tournament strategies are based around a shifting rate of aggression depending on blinds, and blinds don't change in cash games. Being a primarily tournament player myself, I'm finding playing cash quite a challenge at the moment, the kind of calls you can happily make in tournaments simply aren't profitable in cash.
  • edited October 2010
    Cash players have more discipline when it comes to well structured, long events. Generally (I think) it's far easier to make the transition from cash to tournament play than the other way round, since the discipline and game used in cash works very well for cashing in tournaments. Conversely, tournament game doesn't tend to work as well in cash, since most good tournament strategies are based around a shifting rate of aggression depending on blinds, and blinds don't change in cash games. Being a primarily tournament player myself, I'm finding playing cash quite a challenge at the moment, the kind of calls you can happily make in tournaments simply aren't profitable in cash.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    +1 i'd say MTT im pretty good, STT better and Cash i actually s u ck bigtime occasionally will go on a good run in cash but not consistently enough to give a proper go i lose too often dunno whether its my mind set or what though but 1 day when i have put enough effort i will get there for both
  • edited October 2010
    I think its much easier to go to MTT from cash.

I learnt playing MTTs and i was a decent MTT player. When i moved to cash i lost loads, and loads and loads. However when i went back to MTTs i was far more disiplined, i was able to get away from situations once i was in. I was also able to make moves with different hands that previously i would have folded.

As a result i think LOL_Raise is spot on.
  • edited October 2010

A good cash player in a torny is better than a good MTT player in a cash game for the reasons above! But its important to state a GOOD cash player because alot of cash players are not good.
    Still for someone who just plays cash and has no experience in MTTS they will struggle with time limits blind limits and FISH limits lol

Good thread

• edited October 2010
    A good cash player in a torny is better than a good MTT player in a cash game for the reasons above! But its important to state a GOOD cash player because alot of cash players are not good. Still for someone who just plays cash and has no experience in MTTS they will struggle with time limits blind limits and FISH limits lol Good thread
    Posted by Batkin88
    thank you all for your in put think i know now why im struggling in cash games a little lately so must put some practice in lol
                                               SHIBBY!
  • edited October 2010
    fish limits lol... every1 correct tho, cant play cash 2 save my life..... its the real money bit, its easy 2 call say 200 chips but try calling £20 on a draw, totaly differant... my hat goes off to the big cash players!!!!
  • edited October 2010
    fish limits lol... every1 correct tho, cant play cash 2 save my life..... its the real money bit, its easy 2 call say 200 chips buttry calling £20 on a draw, totaly differant... my hat goes off to the big cash players!!!!
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    If the odds are good then make the £20 call - easy? well if its not then its scared money and your playing beyond your means, thats why its difficult. £20 to the high cash players is like 20p to the low cash players its all relative!
  • edited October 2010

MTT players rule,end of

• edited October 2010
    A lot of cash players transfer very well to tournaments (see Brunson, Ivey etc etc)

A lot of tourney players are awfull at cash (see Hellmuth for the only evidence needed to prove this)

:) so IMO a cash game player has the edge in playing the other format