You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Jacks facing r and rr in Primo

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
This hand was played on Primo, and TK gave his opinion- but was wondering what the rest of you would do here. Little information- first raiser is shortstacked and fairly negligible. Made up my mind as soon as he raised to shove on him, had a more than wide enough range to be ahead of him, but raiser #2 had been playing incredibly tight, hadn't raised or been involved in a pot for the 15 mins or so I'd been at that table. When he raised, I put him on a range of AA/KK/QQ/AK and possibly AQ/TT/99, though I wasn't entirely sure about that. What would you do with jacks at this stage, given the stack and blinds (I have just over 2500 chips at 75/150, so around 17 bbs). Both raisers were committed now provided no one else joins in, so I can pretty much scratch fold equity out.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
kalooki8 Small blind   75.00 75.00 8480.00
DELTA Big blind   150.00 225.00 2740.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

harrison25 Raise   450.00 675.00 798.75
Red-Steve Fold        
knight99 Raise   1150.00 1825.00 7650.00
DeucesLive ????

Comments

• edited October 2010
    fold fold fold.

2500 chips is enough to find a better spot. Even if that guy has AK your not in great shape, if he is as tight as you say then TT and below he will probs flat to go set mining, so ur up against AA,KK,QQ,AK or AQ here, let it go, and chances are the original raiser will go all in so you will see what he has anyway.
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    I havent seen the results but I'm not folding this with 17bbs.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Jacks facing r and rr in Primo:
    fold fold fold. 2500 chips is enough to find a better spot. Even if that guy has AK your not in great shape, if he is as tight as you say then TT and below he will probs flat to go set mining, so ur up against AA,KK,QQ,AK or AQ here, let it go, and chances are the original raiser will go all in so you will see what he has anyway.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    why would he flat, the origional raiser only had 700 chips left, really should be all in. so as a result he makes the move to stick him in all in, knowing hed be commited to calling with any two.

although i do agree i also fold, either fold or shove really. but as the origional poster says theres not much fold equity involved here.
  • edited October 2010
    17bbs ur in this torny to win and i thinkk this is a perfect spot to put urself in with the chance of big money early on! I would shove 100% there is two pots to win and both will be hefty. I bet in a £60 GTD u would shove here
  • edited October 2010
    whats ur read on harrison25? i know he's shortstacked, he should be shoving instead of raising unless he's trying to extract as much value as possible out off AK-QQ+ or something, if he's a bit of a donk raising like K10s or something AND IF Knight99 knows this then he could be isolating with a slightly wider range AJs+ 99+

tricky spot, v.read dependent tho imo, so yeah either fold/shove, in mtt's stuff like the primo, u HAVE to get lucky to go deep, so im prob gettin it in
  • edited October 2010
    I agree with flashflush here,fold and with 17bb you will most likely find a better spot
  • edited October 2010
    Well, my take on it was that harrison wasn't the greatest player, he'd been donking chips for a while (he had been up at 5k but kept raise/folding, limping and generally doing quite novice mistakes). Based on that, and his stack size, I wasn't massively worried about his holding but I did think it included at least one overcard, possibly two. Far more concerning was player two, who also had at least one overcard in his range, and high chance of an overpair.

I'd been down to 500 chips at 30/60 and slowly rebuilt myself to 2500 through stealing and small pots, no big double ups, so I felt confident enough about my game to not have to risk myself here, where I figured at absolute best I was a 50/50, and at worst more like 80/20. Sure, I might have just about had the odds, but not quite.

The stack sizes, as I mentioned, meant I had absolutely zero fold equity, so whilst I have no issue getting my money in with JJ and a chance of people folding, I'm not a fan of just calling off my stack with it, which essentially is what this was- the two players involved were never folding so they may as well already be allin. There's also players still to act- a small chance they might get involved with a monster.

Tikay was in the shove category at this stage too, which is fair enough- I certainly toyed with the idea, but Js to a reraise from a tight player just doesn't feel good to me. QQ/KK/AA/AK I would have shoved and hoped, but J's don't fare that well % wise against 2 allins, for me. Turns out I would have won, but I felt avoiding the risk at this stage and playing with fold equity working for me would be a better spot, I'm definitely with charles on this one.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    kalooki8 Small blind   75.00 75.00 8480.00
    DELTA Big blind   150.00 225.00 2740.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

harrison25 Raise   450.00 675.00 798.75
    Red-Steve Fold        
    knight99 Raise   1150.00 1825.00 7650.00
    DeucesLive Fold        
    kalooki8 Fold        
    DELTA Fold        
    harrison25 All-in   798.75 2623.75 0.00
    knight99 Call   98.75 2722.50 7551.25
    harrison25 Show
    • A
    • J

knight99 Show
    • K
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

knight99 Win Pair of 10s 2722.50   10273.75

• edited October 2010

I shove there tbh at that stage, Blinds go up quickly in the Primo and I aint ever folding JJ here because im in it to win it.

The 3 bet from Knight doesn't have to indicate massive strength like AA/KK, he has a massive stack and probably regards the other villain as you do so sets him in near enough so his range does widen slightly, ofc he is doing this with a respectable hand so I can understand your thinking but I can't fold here tbh.

If you were playing the Primo to min cash and progress then I can understand your fold but if you are in the Primo to win it, then imo you can't fold - if they turn up with AA/KK/QQ then so be it - I am more than willing to race at this stage in order to get a bigger stack to get into contention FTW.

• edited October 2010

I still want to fold here, don't enjoy racing for my tournament life!

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Jacks facing r and rr in Primo:
    I still want to fold here, don't enjoy racing for my tournament life!
    Posted by ricoramb03
    Your to nitty Rico ;)
  • edited October 2010
    I know, I'm the worst lol
  • edited October 2010
    yeah the structure of the tournament makes this alot more of a shove imo
  • edited October 2010
    This is an annoying spot.  I prob end up shoving tho as the villains raise size  and stack size means hecan be so wide to isolate the short stack....imo he does this with as low as pocket 6s/AT/KQs maybe.

17bb is enough to fold here tho so can see why you did it.

• edited October 2010
    Well, I ended up finishing around 15th, so it didn't hurt my chances- I carried on stealing and eventually got myself a spot to bag a double up, so although results dictate I would have won, I think enough times I'd have been knocked out to make me happy folding this- I'd have actually been happier shoving with a larger stack I think, since the first raiser becomes negligible whatever, and I'd have a lot more fold equity against the big stack- 4k+ and I'd be happier to go with it.

Interesting to see the divide though- I'm still not entirely sure what the best play is overall. I think one of Ed's favourite sayings (I think it's Ed?) works- if you're playing well, you can fold- if not, you have to shove. I was feeling confident enough at the time to find a better, non-racey spot to get my chips in, but on those days where I'm struggling to put a move together, I'd probably dump it in and pray.
  • edited October 2010
    <20bbs with JJ. 

For those who dont want to take a race you will never win a tourny especially not a sky one with such a cr4p shooty structure. Get it in hope they have overs and brick. or have underpairs and dont spike etc etc
  • edited October 2010
    I disagree beaneh, I've won tourneys and was in contention in primo at late stages, but got bust when my KK ran into A10, and they spiked a 10 (previous hand ran 66 into KJ, same result).

I'm happy with races, but on my terms- not theirs. I'll happily stack with 66 if I shoved, but calling with it? Not so sure.

So the next question is, I guess- if you'd stack off with JJ, at what point would you fold? TT/99/88?
  • edited October 2010

well done for finishing 15th

• edited October 2010
    For what my opinion is worth I think the fold was correct, WP and I think a top 20 result show this.
  • edited October 2010

What a tough one. I could go either way tbh. Depends how i'm feeling/playing at the time.

I dont mind the fold, but i can understand getting it in too!

Its a good view from this fence.