You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha hand?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Do you think i was right to shove on the flop?
karen80 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £5.31
tiggerovnh Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £8.87
  Your hole cards
  • Q

BANDICOOT Call   £0.10 £0.25 £13.87
KILLAJ Raise   £0.40 £0.65 £9.70
BEARIO Call   £0.40 £1.05 £10.56
karen80 Call   £0.35 £1.40 £4.96
tiggerovnh Call   £0.30 £1.70 £8.57
BANDICOOT Call   £0.30 £2.00 £13.57
Flop

karen80 Check        
tiggerovnh Check        
BANDICOOT Check        
KILLAJ Bet   £2.00 £4.00 £7.70
BEARIO Fold        
karen80 All-in   £4.96 £8.96 £0.00
tiggerovnh All-in   £8.57 £17.53 £0.00
BANDICOOT Fold        
KILLAJ Call   £6.57 £24.10 £1.13
karen80 Show

tiggerovnh Show
  • Q

KILLAJ Show
  • J
  • Q
  • Q

Turn

River

• Q

tiggerovnh Win Four 9s £23.40   £23.40

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I'm no Omaha expert, but it looks fine to me!
    I would just have to get it in with top set! you have the temporary nuts, there is no point in flat calling with so much in the middle already. You obv have to dodge flushing and straightening cards as you have no redraws (apart from housing up, and hitting quads!)

• edited October 2010
    you housed the flop the money was put in before u and you cant just call half ur stack so u have to come over the top, played itself really and very nice quads in the end but you arent losing to much anywhere through this hand so well played and in answer to ur question yes its right to put ur stack in here.
  • edited October 2010
      In simple terms if you dont shove on that flop why are you calling preflop. With the exception of flopping quads or a full house that is as good a flop as you could possibly hope for. At this point you have the nuts with very little in the way of redraws so the thing to do here is to shut the hand down and get rid of all the drawing hands because with the exception of a 9 or 5 there is no good card that can come on the turn.

Up against really good players you would only be expected to be called by full wrap straight draws or big flush draws possibly even a combination of both.As it was you were calledby one hand that was drawing virtually dead(except to runner runners) and an over pair with average flush draw.This means that you got your money in as about 2 to 1 favourite over both hands.

Irrespective of the result the play you made was the correct one.This time it worked out for you and even if it hadnt then it still would have been correct. The nuts in omaha are very often only temporary so when you have them you need to bet big to get rid of all hands that can outdraw you and to maximise your winnings if they dont.

Looking at the hand the other way round if you had have flatted the flop how much more would you have got out of your customers after that turn card which was a really bad card for both of them.

I have only got one issue with your play in the hand and that is the check on the flop in the first place. Unless you are 100% certain that someone will bet out into the flop then checking is the worst possible move when you have the nuts. C-betting is not as standard in omaha as it is in NLHE so when you hit a flop like that you want to be betting into the preflop raiser to boost the pot up and stop them from taking a cheap card to fill up their draws.But other than that you played the hand well and got handsomely paid.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha hand?:
    you housed the flop
    Posted by Batkin88
    i could be totally wrong here but i understood this to mean you thought he had flopped a fullhouse with 995x on the 953 board. in omaha you only use two cards from your hand to make the best possible 5card hand so he only has a set of nines here not a boat. (still the nuts though so cant complain too much)

if thats now what you meant then i apolagize for being an idiot
  • edited October 2010
    Nice hand - you played It well
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha hand?:
    In Response to Re: Omaha hand? : i could be totally wrong here but i understood this to mean you thought he had flopped a fullhouse with 995x on the 953 board. in omaha you only use two cards from your hand to make the best possible 5card hand so he only has a set of nines here not a boat. (still the nuts though so cant complain too much) if thats now what you meant then i apolagize for being an idiot
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    + 1 i thought this not the house part just that they said they did

Perfect play imo, you have the nuts on the flop, be happy to take down or make people pay for their flush. VNH