You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Wreckless Challenges???

I have noticed this season that there has definately been a worryingly increase in the number of broken legs suffered within the top division.

Question is, do you think that challenges have been getting worse or do you think its just a coincidence?

Comments

• edited October 2010

it is probably just coincidence but the current fashion for almost concrete hard pitches must have something to do with it, as hard tackles have always been part of the game but the fact there is no give in the surface cant help

• edited October 2010
    shin pads r too small

Hard footballers ftw!!!!

I played sunday league football for 12 years, 10-22, and saw some brutal tackles, only witnessed 1 broken leg.

They have to be committed, if you go in weak, you're gonna get hurt - it's just the way it is.

GO HARD - OR GO HOME !!
  • edited October 2010
    GO HARD OR GO HOME

HOPE THATS NOT WHAT YOUR UNDER11S COACH SAID M8
  • edited October 2010

lol I was a goalkeeper, so had to go down at the feet of big fat beer belly'd centre forwards week in week out, and I definitely got hurt when I went in half-hearted. 

The modern day players need to be more committed. 

Change the players attitude towards the game  rather than trying to change the game.

Serious foul play was still punished back in the day of Ince, Keane, Wise, Viera, Ruddock, Dic ks etc etc etc (im sure many of you can go further back and quote generations of football hard-men)

The best game I watched last season was the Leeds v United cup game at Old Trafford. Great to see 2 teams so committed. (credit to the ref) - Even Gary Neville got stuck in without wining.

Football is most definitely, a mans game.
  • edited October 2010
    I have been playing sunday league for about ten years and only seen one broken leg as well.  All the serious injuries I see have been head injuries due to players headering each other instead of the ball. 

Its for this reason I made this thread.  There has to have been 4 or 5 high profile players all goind down recently with broken legs just above the ankle.  Maybe they are just too quick for the challenges coming in!!!
  • edited October 2010
    i think it's that the games getting faster in England and the players making the challenges haven't caught up with the pace of the game and therfore mis-timing tackles. Don't agree with all the grief that Nigel Da Jong getting for that tackle on Ben Arfa he won the bloody ball and unfortunately caught the player with a hard challenge nothing wrong with the tackle whatsover in my opinion. I play at left back and if i didn't make hard challenges on wingers they would be taking me on all the time make a hard challenge and they won't come near you for fear of being kicked. Part and parcel of football i'm afraid if you don't like getting kicked don't play the game. Simples!!!
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Wreckless Challenges???:
    i think it's that the games getting faster in England and the players making the challenges haven't caught up with the pace of the game and therfore mis-timing tackles. Don't agree with all the grief that Nigel Da Jong getting for that tackle on Ben Arfa he won the bloody ball and unfortunately caught the player with a hard challenge nothing wrong with the tackle whatsover in my opinion. I play at left back and if i didn't make hard challenges on wingers they would be taking me on all the time make a hard challenge and they won't come near you for fear of being kicked. Part and parcel of football i'm afraid if you don't like getting kicked don't play the game. Simples!!!
    Posted by nffc4eva
    your right about the pace of the game,footballers are athletes now,the speed of the game sometimes during play is unbelievable especially when there's a 50/50 to get the ball