You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bad call or bad shove?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
BOUNCY497 Small blind  400.00 400.00 6510.00
waller02 Big blind  800.00 1200.00 11747.50
  Your hole cards
  • Q

maui73 Raise  1600.00 2800.00 10281.25
Theo08 Fold     
spartan300 Fold     
jjbails Fold     
BOUNCY497 Fold     
waller02 Call  800.00 3600.00 10947.50
Flop

• J

waller02 Check     
maui73 Bet  3600.00 7200.00 6681.25
waller02 All-in  10947.50 18147.50 0.00
maui73 All-in  6681.25 24828.75 0.00
waller02 Unmatched bet  666.25 24162.50 666.25
waller02 Show
  • Q

maui73 Show
  • A

Turn

River

maui73 Win Pair of 5s 24162.50  24162.50
Next

This hand was getting towards the cash places in the doublestack, I was 56th with 80 left and 50 cashing. I called the min raise as he had been stealing my blind quite a lot. Was his call to my shove a bad call or was he pot commited??? Was i wrong to shove and should have folded and waited for a better spot???? I'm still learning the game and would like to know how others would have played this hand, all advice much appreciated.
Cheers Ryan.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    bad call and bad shove imo.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: bad call or bad shove?:
    bad call and bad shove imo.
    Posted by kirstii
    I don't mind the way you played it, the guy has min-raised and your in the BB. I call and take a look.
    When the flop gives you the OESD you should be able to take it down with the push knowing if he has got something you'll still have a chance.
    The call by him was horrible with Ace high.
    Don't worry about it, just move on.
  • edited October 2010
    Great shove for me, he was at it and it was a terrible call, 2 clubs on board then fair play but one club? He got caught at it and rather than give up, made a stubborn call- ul not to hit one of your million outs against him.
  • edited October 2010
    cheers for the input, i couldn't understand the call either, my table image was fairly tight so there was no reason to think i was was bluffing or semi-bluffing
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Fold pre.

As is you have basically 0 fold equity on the flop but we're pretty short and our Q could be live as well so I'd just go with it.

Fwiw I don't think the villain should fold after he cbets that big.
  • edited October 2010
    Fold pre. As is you have basically 0 fold equity on the flop but we're pretty short and our Q could be live as well so I'd just go with it. Fwiw I don't think the villain should fold after he cbets that big.
    Posted by yb

He's put 5200 in and he has to call 6800 i think with ace high 7 kicker. He has to think you've hit a pair and therefore is calling trying to hit one of three aces with 2 cards to come. Something like a 12% shot.

He should fold and still have 9-10 BB's
    It's a bad call
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    There's no way villains equity is 12% seeing as he has bdfd and there are a number of draws hero could have as well. He only needs ~ 25% to make the call a +chip play. If he calls and wins he will have 30bbs (as opposed to 8 bbs) and the way tourney prizes are heavily weighted towards the first couple of players I think its time to gamble.

Not a bad call imo.
  • edited October 2010
    There's no way villains equity is 12% seeing as he has bdfd and there are a number of draws hero could have as well. He only needs ~ 25% to make the call a +chip play. If he calls and wins he will have 30bbs (as opposed to 8 bbs) and the way tourney prizes are heavily weighted towards the first couple of players I think its time to gamble. Not a bad call imo.
    Posted by yb

Well if you want to give him 1 or 2% for his miricle 77 on turn and river or club club runer runner, then so be it. let's give him 15%. Unless you want to play every time with the thought my decent c-bet raise has been shoved, he must be on the draw attitude, good luck with that one.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: bad call or bad shove? : Well if you want to give him 1 or 2% for his miricle 77 on turn and river or club club runer runner, then so be it. let's give him 15%. Unless you want to play every time with the thought my decent c-bet raise has been shoved, he must be on the draw attitude, good luck with that one.
    Posted by salazar
    Actually I've just stoved this giving hero second pair q 10. Everthing else the same. Stove says villain is 17.9% hero is 82.1%
    I suppose it depends on what type of player you are, I would put my op on atleast 2nd pair and therefore would fold and wait for an opportunity to get my 9 bb's in. if you want to gamble, bingo style and think to yourself i'm running like god, the ace will come, then call away
  • edited October 2010
    The shove looks like you are drawing so villain has every right to call with ace high, he has outs if your sitting with 2nd pair. Its stubborn but if he folds now he is near enough dead in the torny he has to gamble after that c-bet if he is out for the win.
    Regarding your play its absolutely fine once on the flop but why are you getting to that flop its a fold pre when deep in this tournament, i know its annoying when u feel someone is trying to steal your blinds however the best hand won.

Unlucky not to hit one of your outs tho
  • edited October 2010
    The shove looks like you are drawing so villain has every right to call with ace high, he has outs if your sitting with 2nd pair. Its stubborn but if he folds now he is near enough dead in the torny he has to gamble after that c-bet if he is out for the win. Regarding your play its absolutely fine once on the flop but why are you getting to that flop its a fold pre when deep in this tournament, i know its annoying when u feel someone is trying to steal your blinds however the best hand won. Unlucky not to hit one of your outs tho
    Posted by Batkin88
    Lets put it this way, the guy with the ace knows he is either up against top or second pair or a flush draw or a str8 draw. If he is up against one of the draws it's pretty much a coin flip as to whether he would win the hand anyway, if he is up against top or second pair or worse 2 pair or set he is pretty much dead in the water.

It's the same as having 9 bb's and holding pocket 2's. Someone shoves in early pos. Do you call knowing that your up against at best 2 over cards or worse an over pair?

if you call with pocket 2's you probably call here, if you fold and wait to be the shover rather than the caller, you probably fold. I like to get my money in first and i certainly don't like calling off my stack when i'm at best flipping
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    salazar try stoving a proper range rather than an individual hand, I'm off out now but I'll do it later when I get some time.
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Ok as hero is playing with a shortish stack and villain has been pretty aggro I'm assuming hero is 3bet shoving all PPs and AT+ (I kept in 1 combo of AA and 1 combo of KK in case he ever slowplays these). Also I didnt include all combos of 98 as I'm not sure if hero would stack off with that on that board.

Board: 5s Jc Ts
    Dead: 

equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied   
    Hand 0:     28.651%      27.92%     00.74%              37310           982.50   { Ac8c }
    Hand 1:     71.349%      70.61%     00.74%              94375           982.50   { AdAs, KcKh, As9s, As8s, As7s, As6s, As4s, As3s, As2s, KTs+, Ks9s, Ks8s, Ks7s, Q9s+, Qs8s, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, 9s7s, KTo+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o }

So we have the odds to call against a decent range imo. You can play around with it by taking out AA/KK, adding some more flush draws, taking out KQ if hero would 3bet this pre etc. but either way its close, and if you aren't prepared to gamble (especially when the call is probably slightly +EV) then you aren't gonna win tournies with these fast blind structures.

Btw your example with 22 is totally different as our equity would be less than 50% and we wouldn't have the pot odds to call unless we were very short.
  • edited October 2010
    Ok as hero is playing with a shortish stack and villain has been pretty aggro I'm assuming hero is 3bet shoving all PPs and AT+ (I kept in 1 combo of AA and 1 combo of KK in case he ever slowplays these). Also I didnt include all combos of 98 as I'm not sure if hero would stack off with that on that board. Board: 5s Jc Ts Dead:      equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied    Hand 0:     28.651%      27.92%     00.74%              37310           982.50   { Ac8c } Hand 1:     71.349%      70.61%     00.74%              94375           982.50   { AdAs, KcKh, As9s, As8s, As7s, As6s, As4s, As3s, As2s, KTs+, Ks9s, Ks8s, Ks7s, Q9s+, Qs8s, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, 9s7s, KTo+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o } So we have the odds to call against a decent range imo. You can play around with it by taking out AA/KK, adding some more flush draws, taking out KQ if hero would 3bet this pre etc. but either way its close, and if you aren't prepared to gamble (especially when the call is probably slightly +EV) then you aren't gonna win tournies with these fast blind structures. Btw your example with 22 is totally different as our equity would be less than 50% and we wouldn't have the pot odds to call unless we were very short.
    Posted by yb
    I think your range is missing a few second pair and top pair hands, also i can't see much kq type hands in there, also there is no sets, or 2pair hands in there which would put a serious dent in your calling range.
    sugar coat it all you want the bottom line is the guy is calling for more than half his stack when he is flipping at best and could very well be less than 20% to win the hand and that to me is a sucker play.
  • edited October 2010
    Actually, on reflection, the call wasn't the bad part- it was the initial bet. For me, you can only do that if you've hit the flop hard- at minimum he needs 4 to the flush. What he's done with that is committed himself to a hand where he has A high with a bad kicker- most shoved A's are ahead, any pair is ahead, any draw is at least a 50/50. He should have either checked behind and re-evaluated on the turn (he could shove over the top of a bet a lot easier) or open shoved the flop, making calling that much tougher. By betting that much he's left it open to shove, and forced himself to call- because 6600 back at 400/800 is just no good, he has to take his chances.

Poor play by villain all round to me, the minraise on flop is unlikely to get rid of the bb unless they have absolute garbage, and A8s is a vulnerable hand. A 3x raise would have set up a flop shove much more convincingly, and built the pot for it.
  • edited October 2010
    Board: 5s Jc Ts
    Dead: 

equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied   
    Hand 0:     32.515%      32.34%     00.18%              29452           163.00   { Ac7c }
    Hand 1:     67.485%      67.31%     00.18%              61302           163.00   { 55, AJs-ATs, KQs, QJs, Q9s, JTs, 98s, 8s7s, 7s6s, AJo-ATo, KQo, QJo, Q9o, JTo, 98o }

i think thats pretty accurate tbh. why dont you see him doing this with KQ salazar? he should only ever have 55 for a set because JJ,TT is easy shove preflop.

in the actual hands you should be folding preflop, as it is i would prob just donk shove the flop for maximum FE
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: bad call or bad shove? : I think your range is missing a few second pair and top pair hands, also i can't see much kq type hands in there, also there is no sets, or 2pair hands in there which would put a serious dent in your calling range. sugar coat it all you want the bottom line is the guy is calling for more than half his stack when he is flipping at best and could very well be less than 20% to win the hand and that to me is a sucker play.
    Posted by salazar
    I have included JT which is the only 2 pair hand he can have (he doesn't call pre with J5 or T5). I have included all top pair hands other than AJ because he would 3bet this pre. I haven't included any sets as he should 3bet all PP's pre. I have also included KQ as well. I think you might not know how to read hand abbreviations in pokerstove properly?

Btw you say we are flipping at best as if flipping is a bad thing. Its not, we are getting 3/1 on our remaining chips.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: bad call or bad shove? : I have included JT which is the only 2 pair hand he can have (he doesn't call pre with J5 or T5). I have included all top pair hands other than AJ because he would 3bet this pre. I haven't included any sets as he should 3bet all PP's pre. I have also included KQ as well. I think you might not know how to read hand abbreviations in pokerstove properly? Btw you say we are flipping at best as if flipping is a bad thing. Its not, we are getting 3/1 on our remaining chips.
    Posted by yb

I don't have a problem with flipping, i have a problem when you're flipping at best. Putting your tourney on the line and calling more than half your stack with nothing but ace high. He still had 9 BB's, that is not a lot but it was enough not to throw it all in on this hand. if he had had 5 or less, fine, throw it in, but 9 is still enough to get people to fold if they haven't got much.
  • edited October 2010
    I agree with Salazar here. I'm never min raising pre, potting the flop (just lol) and calling off with A hi. Imo opinion villain has butchered this hand beyond belief
  • edited October 2010

i am not saying the villains min raise pre and potting the flop is good, my point is from once he has done that he has to call if he is going for the win

• edited October 2010
    I dont think theres such thing as a bad shove.
  • edited October 2010
    i am not saying the villains min raise pre and potting the flop is good, my point is from once he has done that he has to call if he is going for the win
    Posted by Batkin88
    I'm still never calling but I don't put myself in that position anyway by potting the flop which is just so bad it's untrue.
  • edited October 2010
    he was doing it for value ldo ace high is guuuut
  • edited October 2010
    so basically the shove was fine but i had to expect a call as he pot comitted? i couldn't call with just ace high with 9bb's remaining, surely there's a better spot? mind you, the guy did end up finishing 4th so what would i know! lol