You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NEW PLAYERS LEARING THE GAME

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat

I AM A NEW PLAYER LEARING THE NEW GAME OF POKER AND HAVE BEEN PLAYING ON THE 2P-4P TABLES FOR THE PAST MONTH OR SO.  WOULD SKY CONSIDER MAKING THE 2P-4P TABLES ONLY FOR BEGINNERS AND NOT THE BETTER PLAYERS WHO HAVE MUCH MORE KNOWLEDGE OF THE GAME.  WHY I SAY THIS IS THAT BECAUSE MANY PLAYERS COME ON TO THE 2P-4P TABLES FROM THE HIGHER PLAYED TABLES JUST FOR A BIT OF FUN KNOWING THAT MOST OF US ARE BEGINNERS OR NEAR BEGINNERS.  I AM FINDING IT VERY HARD TOO LEARN THE GAME AS MOST OF THE BETTER PLAYERS KEEP TAKING MY MONEY 'I DO NOT MIND LOSING' BUT THEY KNOW WHEN TOO RAISE FOLD AND THEY KNOW MORE ABOUT POSITON OF HANDS WHICH AND MANY OTHER PLAYERS ARE STILL LEARNING.  WOULD SKY CONSIDER THAT IF YOU HAVE OVER £100.00 IN YOUR BANK ROLE THAT CONSDERS YOU A REASONABLE OR A MUCH BETTER PLAYER THAN US BEGINNERS SUCH AS MYSELF WHO IS REGISTARD DISABLED AND CAN ONLY AFFORD TO PUT A LIMITED AMOUNT ON THE TABLE.  IF PLAYERS HAVE MORE THAN £100 IN THEIR BANK ROLE THAT SAYS TOO ME THAT THEY ARE SOME WHAT UP THE LADDER.  I JUST WANT TOO PLAY WITH BEGINNERS IN THE SAME SITUATION AS MYSELF NOT PLAYERS THAT HAVE MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE WHO COME ON TO THE SMALL TABLES JUST FOR A BIT OF FUN. AFTER ALL DOES IT REALLY MATTER TO THEM TAKING MY ODD POUND HERE AND THERE.  IF THE ABOVE SUGGESTION IS NOT AT ALL FEASIBLE IS THERE ANOTHER WAY SKY POKER CAN COME UP WITH FOR US BEGINNERS.  WE ALL HAVE TOO LEARN THE GAME AND START FROM THE BEGINNING. IT WOULD BE NICE FOR SKY POKER TOO CONSIDER THE BEGINNERS AS WELL AS THE MORE EXPERIENCE PLAYERS. 

HERE IS HOPING.............................

Comments

• edited October 2010
    NO NEED TO SHOUT 

There is the argument that you can only learn by playing better players 
  • edited October 2010
    NOT SHOUTING JOCK JUST PUTTING MY POINT OF VIEW ACROSSn Response to Re: NEW PLAYERS LEARING THE GAME:
    NO NEED TO SHOUT  There is the argument that you can only learn by playing better players 
    Posted by JockBMW
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: NEW PLAYERS LEARING THE GAME:
    NO NEED TO SHOUT  There is the argument that you can only learn by playing better players 
    Posted by JockBMW
    lol, i have to agree with jock here.
  • edited October 2010
    NOT SHOUTING JOCK JUST PUTTING MY POINT OF VIEW ACROSSn Response to Re: NEW PLAYERS LEARING THE GAME :
    Posted by vegas4ever

CAP LOCK usually is used to signify shouting in forum, text speech.  Should have put an "lol" after is ;o)

• edited October 2010
    Try the 30p sit and go"s you can get 30 mins or so play there so all you can lose is that stake
    witch would be in a pot in 2mins at 2p/4p .
    This will help you learn and enjoy knowing worse scenario 30p down. 6 players 3 paid aint bad vegas4ever.
    Hope this is some help or use  c u on the tables.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: NEW PLAYERS LEARING THE GAME : lol, i have to agree with jock here.
    Posted by iBLUFF
    + 1. However, I can see where you`re coming from vegas4ever.

That said, you will learn alot quicker by having different types of playing ability at the table. If you`re uncomfortable whilst at a table or feel `out of your depth`, then just switch to another table. Wait for the blind to come round to you which gives you a little time to see how the others are playing. Then if comfortable, post your blind and play. If not, then just find another table and so on and so forth.

There are plenty of low stake tables to choose from to keep it the way it is imo x

Good luck!
  • edited October 2010
    IThanks I will try that  lol tcn Response to Re: NEW PLAYERS LEARING THE GAME:
    Try the 30p sit and go"s you can get 30 mins or so play there so all you can lose is that stake witch would be in a pot in 2mins at 2p/4p . This will help you learn and enjoy knowing worse scenario 30p down. 6 players 3 paid aint bad vegas4ever. Hope this is some help or use  c u on the tables.
    Posted by -JINKY-
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Vegas,

I understand where you are coming from, and maybe sky should have a certain table where only people of a certain join date can play..... unfortuanatly anyone under a certain amount of £ in their account does not mean they are a bad player. i have less than £100 and i think i can reguarly win at 2/4. I also dont think Sky have the numbers other sites do, to make this feasable....but this is why i like the site, reguarlar players that you can learn from. Its also a good community for the most part

what is said above about having more time at SNG compared to cash can be true.....but not always......look at this way, once you are out at SNG you cant win any money....but cash you can always reload and win. but they are two different games and learning one does not make you learn how to play the other, You must commit yourself to learning one first and then try the other IMHO.

Firstly, although you play for fun (as do I, and if i win its great, i get paid for having my fun!!) you also want to improve no? at this stakes its a classic case of - if you cant beat em, join em. no matter what poker you play, people that win in the long run are the agressive ones playing the correct hands.....and this seems to be your main upset, agressive people pushing you off hands. They only know what to do because they were where you are now, at some point.

I played poker for 2 years before i realised how to beat 2/4 and lost quite a bit in the process, i reguarly play there. i am now trying to beat 4/8.....not having much luck either lol, even now i only break even but the point is practise makes perfect and you will only get better by playing better people. Use the forums and post hands, people are happy to help.

GL at the felt.

Tape
  • edited October 2010
    sorry i cant read the OP, the font, colour and capitals gave me a headache.

Or it could be the wine im drinking.

• edited October 2010
    If money is tight I'd stick to micro stakes sit & go's and use your sign-up points to freeroll whilst you're learning, then see if you can move up as you win a bit.

Watching the sky tv channel will give you a lot of pointers, and you can watch on line.

But nobody is going to just let you win at any level just because you're a new player.
  • edited October 2010

Quickest way to learn is play good players, if you only play newbies you will not lear to play because every1 will be making mistakes.
    The best thing to do is to carry on playing your cash game at 2p/4p and play very tight aggro! And constantly post hands on the clinic so we can all give tips and pointers.

I wouldnt reccommend making it know you are a newbie on the forum though you may find waiting lists building on your tables.

Sky cannot restrict you to your bankroll amount because you can just withdraw it and drop below the 100 pound mark.

Just keep grinding and goodluck

• edited October 2010

how lucky that is really.  taking the example to an extreme, would you say yes to an offer from the world's best player to come to your home and play against you for hours and for pennies?  i would. 

• edited October 2010
    In Response to NEW PLAYERS LEARING THE GAME:

If has you say,you're a 'newbie', I don't understand your compaint?. Sky have provided numerous low stake MTTs, lots of sitngoes for as little as 30p,60p,freerolls etc,any learning process wil not cost an arm and leg at these prices,so look around and if? you cannot afford these low stakes, perhaps poker is not for you,just a thought.              Kind regards
  • edited October 2010
    i dont think any site can/will tell anyone what level they are allowed to play.the games are there for everyone and if a player wants to play "for a bit of fun" thats up to them imo.........

ps if sky could arrange it that no decent players are allowed to play 25p/50p i would much appreciate it ty
  • edited October 2010
    play on the sng tables for 30p and 60p. I'm not saying you'll learn much but I presume these are played by new players like you, so you shouldn't feel out of place.
    you can also play cash on the free play tables i think, why not give that a try.
    As far as 2p, 4p goes, it is a case of get in or get out. No one will take it easy on you and give you money, they are all there trying to take your money and there is nothing sky or any other site can do.
    I have seen some sites have a few tables for people who have just deposited and you can play on them for 2 weeks before it blocks you. Doesn't mean they are new players though. I joined a site and went on one and i had been playing on other sites for 3 years at the time.

P.S please take your red writing off, it is not very easy on the eyes when you're trying to read.
  • edited October 2010
    i dont think any site can/will tell anyone what level they are allowed to play.the games are there for everyone and if a player wants to play "for a bit of fun" thats up to them imo......... ps if sky could arrange it that no decent players are allowed to play 25p/50p i would much appreciate it ty
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    There arn't any decent players on the 25/50p tables, their all on the 2p/4p tables raking it in lol.

In response to the original post, I beleive you get "Free Play" poker points which can be used on the free play tables. This is a great way to learn the basics and doesn't  cost you any money. After using this to learn the basics the next step up is 30p double your money games and then 2p/4p cash games.

There are players that are quite good at these levels but they may not have the confidence to move up levels. There are also players that play at slightly higher levels that may be on a down swing and have moved down a couple of levels until they get back on their game. So you are never going to get a table of complete beginners at any level.

My advice is to use the freeplay tables and take advice from the clinic until you are ready to play cash tables.
  • edited October 2010

Pick up a begginners book to poker!
    A good one would be "The mammoth book of poker" by peter mendelson

• edited October 2010
    Not just the font, colour and caps Greg - the English is horrid.  I'd suggest reading a book but...
  • edited October 2010
    I am compelled to Eat Shoot and Leave.
  • edited October 2010

Bring in 1p/2p tables !!
  • edited October 2010
    To a point I can see where the OP is coming from.  

You have made the step up to cash tables and money is tight.  You sit on a table and get completely frustrated, knowing ur money is going down and u can't reload into ur bankroll whilst some players seem to keep shoving and reloading.

With the greatest respect, the freeoll tables can only give u so much education.

Low limit sngs are probably the way to get yourself educated on real money games with a tight bankroll.

PS Caps lock writing is HORRID ;) and spelling 'learning as learing' in the thread title is forgivable but to do it again in the first sentence requires Op to give me 50 lines!!!
  • edited October 2010
    Bring in 1p/2p tables !!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    bring in 10p sngs with no rake

• edited October 2010
    I am compelled to Eat Shoot and Leave.
    Posted by RogueCell
    You Panda!!