You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I wimped out but do you call here?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
flameboy78 Small blind  150.00 150.00 5860.00
dodgydice Big blind  300.00 450.00 8160.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

enskaz Fold     
melvin1958 Call  300.00 750.00 7360.00
kirstii Call  300.00 1050.00 9018.00
flameboy78 Call  150.00 1200.00 5710.00
dodgydice Check     
Flop

• J
  • Q

flameboy78 Check     
dodgydice Check     
melvin1958 Check     
kirstii Bet  1200.00 2400.00 7818.00
flameboy78 Fold     
dodgydice Fold     
melvin1958 Call  1200.00 3600.00 6160.00
Turn

melvin1958 All-in  6160.00 9760.00 0.00
kirstii Fold     
melvin1958 Muck     
melvin1958 Win  3600.00  3600.00
melvin1958 Return  6160.00 0.00
Down to final 2 tables in £100 BH players has been fairly standard and not too aggressive so far. Can you call?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    well, first of all- all this is cured by raising preflop. You have position and a playable hand.

You raise, and either every folds (free blinds ftw), someone shoves (unlikely with these stacks, but you know you're probably beat then) or you get a caller (pot is built). Now, when you flop top two pair with a built pot, you can put a meaningful bet in, and on the turn- the shove is easily called (or all the chips go in on flop on a draw). Sure, you could get sucked out on by flush- or he could turn over a single diamond or AQ, you could even house on the end.

Simply, once the flop is hit you need a decent pot so you can avoid these decisions.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: I wimped out but do you call here?:
    well, first of all- all this is cured by raising preflop. You have position and a playable hand. You raise, and either every folds (free blinds ftw), someone shoves (unlikely with these stacks, but you know you're probably beat then) or you get a caller (pot is built). Now, when you flop top two pair with a built pot, you can put a meaningful bet in, and on the turn- the shove is easily called (or all the chips go in on flop on a draw). Sure, you could get sucked out on by flush- or he could turn over a single diamond or AQ, you could even house on the end. Simply, once the flop is hit you need a decent pot so you can avoid these decisions.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    I agree i should probably raised pre but with this i'm also happy limping after a call, very mch situation dependant and i believed this time i should limp. But as played do you call?
  • edited October 2010
    Oh sorry, forgot that. As played... I probably have to fold.

And after a caller, you should be raising even more. If it's not over aggressive, I can almost guarantee you the limper hasn't got a big hand. If you're super unlucky, *maybe* he's limping with aces or kings. It's unlikely. Way more likely is he has a weakish suited connector, a weak ace, low pair, anything- bet high preflop, I really think that has to be the play here.
  • edited October 2010
    Can see the argument there dueces cheers for the input good points.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Kirstii,
    I think that the flat call on the flop does put the flush draw in their range, but i feel that the all-in smacks a bit of, either, super strength ie Ace flush or a smaller flush, so i think your fold does have merit and still leaves you with a playable stack.

col
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Kirstii, I think that the flat call on the flop does put the flush draw in their range, but i feel that the all-in smacks a bit of, either, super strength ie Ace flush or a smaller flush, so i think your fold does have merit and still leaves you with a playable stack. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Cheers Mr, and it was playable, i finished second! lol
  • edited October 2010
    With the way it's played, I would also fold. I'd put him on a small flush, worried of you having one diamond and hitting a bigger flush on the river. 
  • edited October 2010
  • edited October 2010
    i would call i very much doubt he flushed and then shoved on the turn. (regardless of size why would he do that? how does he know hero wasnt draing to a flush)
    I would put him on ace queen ace being a diamond. call it call it call it call it

• edited October 2010
    i would call i very much doubt he flushed and then shoved on the turn. (regardless of size why would he do that? how does he know hero wasnt draing to a flush) I would put him on ace queen ace being a diamond. call it call it call it call it
    Posted by Batkin88
    Of all the hands he could hold I'd say AQ is well down the pecking order (to say the least) in likely hands he is going to show up with.

I'm not sure what I'd do tbh, would depend on my view on villain.

Readless I think fold is ok.