You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

discussion please

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi All,

I would like your opinions on a discussion after this hand
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDrFosterSmall blind £0.04£0.04£16.73SPENO10Big blind £0.08£0.12£10.67 Your hole cardsAA   
Call £0.08£0.20£5.02mr_mbroRaise £0.24£0.44£4.68AlobarRaise £0.56£1.00£10.71potless40Fold    DrFosterFold    SPENO10Fold    
Call £0.48£1.48£4.54mr_mbroRaise £1.28£2.76£3.40AlobarCall £0.96£3.72£9.75
Call £0.96£4.68£3.58Flop  379   
Check    mr_mbroAll-in £3.40£8.08£0.00AlobarFold    
Call £3.40£11.48£0.18
ShowQQ   mr_mbroShowAA   Turn  2   River  7   mr_mbroWinTwo Pairs, Aces and 7s£10.62 £10.62PrevClose window

I've taken a players name out as i don't want to make this about their play.
After the hand had finished my opponent said he had to call and another agreed with him. I then tried to explain that he could have laid this hand down. Some background is that this was the 2nd hand, for me, on the table, having just joined.
How do you perceive the hand and could YOU fold the queens in this situation?
cheers Col

Comments

• edited October 2010
    at 8nl you expect someone to lay down an overpair? You're massively overestimating your opposition.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Kirstii,

I was looking from the point of using this as a lesson in reading the betting and putting players on hands.
    I do agree that at that level, sometimes, you come across calling stations but surely using some semblance of "proper" poker would be of use at any level?

col 
  • edited October 2010
    lol

sorry, but readless at 8nl you would snap that every single day of every week. When it turns out there's a legit hand involved, THEN I would make a note. But no way with no reads, there are soooo many donks happy to bet away with just about anything.

Higher level, I'd absolutely be considering folding the queens, but I'd probably have somewhat of a better read. There's still a possibility of calling.

Half the donks that play at that level, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them turn up with second or bottom pair. Plus, the way you've played it on flop looks like a donk bluff, so well played on that score.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Deuces

Thanks mate, i dont normally play at this level but i couldnt get onto a 10nl or 20nl table.
    A very good point about making the note on the player, those who know me would probably fold this one.

col
  • edited October 2010
    The only thing I would say is you should of sat with a full stack.

with what you shoved for its hard to fold qq there on a 9 high flop.
  • edited October 2010
    On the flop I think it is a call bearing in mind the stack sizes involved.

However you have waved a flag saying 'I'm massive' prefop.  With the other player in the pot I think the QQ player needs to reraise or fold there.  If he's ever going to fold in this hand, it is pre.
  • edited October 2010
    yeah he can onnly fold pre, you could be doing the same post flop with ACE KING or JJ TT 99 so he wasnt folding. You should sit with a full stack aswell especially if you usually play higher levels surely you want more for your money??
  • edited October 2010
    QQ with 50xbb effective stacks is an auto stack off.

Some people would say the same with 100xbb, I would disagree....

But this is a standard hand. Forget nl4/8, less that 0.5% of players on sky who play 50nl and under can fold here.

Nice hand wp.
  • edited October 2010
    Hey Col

I usually play anywhere between 8nl up to 20nl & tbh, against someone who I have no reads on whatsoever I don't think I can lay QQ down here. As you know though, when you start playing against the same people regularly you should get to know a bit more about their game so I do agree that it is possible to lay it down but just not in this situation.

I don't think there's many laying it down on the flop though. 
  • edited October 2010
    I'd need a solid read because only 2 hands in a generic 3-bet range are beating me...AA-KK. Snap call all day long from me also.
  • edited October 2010
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: discussion please:
    dont b silly
    Posted by kim1986
    Dont be childish
  • edited October 2010
    I think you played the hand well is the first thing I'd say.  I think your shove on the flop sells a 8s and pocket pairs above type of hand with AK maybe AQ being the bottom of your range.  I think if he had the choice he would be check calling all the way to showdown especially with your rr pre flop.  However, I don't blame the player calling with QQ especially as your stack wasn't full and he's only behind to a set of 9s or KK or AA (the 3 hands he probably put you on at best!) - I would have called too.  Overall, I like your play and I think you should applaud it.  If you're playing at bigger blinds and you're both 200 bb deep, maybe (slight maybe) I fold the QQ.