You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pocket 9's in BB call or fold as Utg Shoves

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I got delt pocket 9's in the 10k bounty last night. 15 left, im in BB Utg shoves, everyone folds and its passed to me. I snap called as i was there to win it and not to ladder up, Im not being results orientated, But i think im calling there any day at these blinds.

I was 13/15 at this point, and needed double up, and this seems a perfect spot. As he shoved utg i assumed he had a rag ect but i was willing to call hoping that he would miss.

All i want to know if in these stages, this is always a call? if your short stacked like i was.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shelly Small blind  3000.00 3000.00 125818.90
shaun09 Big blind  6000.00 9000.00 31720.93
  Your hole cards

5ha5h1 All-in  43188.32 52188.32 0.00
1jaxonray1 Fold     
robt12 Fold     
shelly Fold     
shaun09 All-in  31720.93 83909.25 0.00
5ha5h1 Unmatched bet  5467.39 78441.86 5467.39
shaun09 Show

5ha5h1 Show
  • J
  • A

Flop

• K

Turn

• A

River

• A

5ha5h1 Win Three Aces 78441.86

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I would be calling every time with a short stack. I am quite willing to take a race at this point.
    UTG is likely to be shoving with any A at this point as he was due the BB next hand.
  • edited October 2010
    exactly what i said :D
  • edited October 2010
    Call>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fold every day of the week here.

The only way I fold this is if I either a) misclick or b) time out
  • edited October 2010
  • edited October 2010
    kim1986 i have read all of your statements on the clinic today and there absolutely ridiculous! its a poker clinic so he is asking for advice. Tell him why you would fold
    Your comment on mine was rude and you just seem to agree with the majority! Im all up for people offering help its a brilliant idea but on every thread there is some smart two or three word answer!

In reference to the thread you have every right to call its a coin flip mind but your there to win not to ladder up!! Keep playing like that you will win big tornys simple.
    And keep playing for the win!!! Unlucky mind
  • edited October 2010
    I was 13/15 at this point, and needed double up, and this seems a perfect spot. As he shoved utg i assumed he had a rag ect but i was willing to call hoping that he would miss.

Snap call.  If you were comfortable in chips as opposed to the rest of the field then it is a nit fold.  UTG does this with any PP/Ax/KQs.  As it happened you was a small favourite and this was one of the times when the villain did bink.  But you really need a double up to be with in any chance of winning so get it in and cross your fingers, toes and other body parts....
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Pocket 9's in BB call or fold as Utg Shoves:
    I was 13/15 at this point, and needed double up, and this seems a perfect spot. As he shoved utg i assumed he had a rag ect but i was willing to call hoping that he would miss. Snap call.  If you were comfortable in chips as opposed to the rest of the field then it is a nit fold.  UTG does this with any PP/Ax/KQs.  As it happened you was a small favourite and this was one of the times when the villain did bink.  But you really need a double up to be with in any chance of winning so get it in and cross your fingers, toes and other body parts....
    Posted by scotty77[/Q

+1 call
  • edited October 2010
    if it's not a bh, I call.

... that should say everything about what I do in a bh. ^^ head prizes ftw, you're going to be ahead 90% of the time preflop in a BH in that position.
  • edited October 2010
    Whenever I question my play, I ask myself if I could see his cards what would I do?  Seeing he had AJ, it is obv that your call is absolutely the correct play.  In the long run - you win these coin flips so you're a profitable player.  Also taking his chip stack into consideration, he must be 11 or 12/15, at only 10 x bb, his range is any pocket pair, A%, picture cards or possibly suited connectors which makes the call even more standard.  You just got drawn out on but find comfort in the fact it was the right play
  • edited October 2010
    I wud be calling u need a double up and ur a slight fav to any big A, this hand is good enough to get ur chips in with WP! Question for Kim1986 what hand are u waiting for if u fold in this situation AA????