You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT flop decision facing donk-bet -- first level.

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic

The guy making the donk lead into me, has just doubled 2 players up, quite remarkable that he can do this and still have a stack above the starting stack within the first half an hour of the tournament.

He opened blind on blind with 44, then called a shove from a reasonable stack, winning a race against AT.

The hand immediately before this, he doubled me up, he opened in EP with 88, I 3 bet big with pocket Jacks, (with the over-raise from the hand described above in mind) and sure enough he 4-bet shoved with pocket 8's and I held.

I make it 10x here, as theres loads of limpers, and the guy is steaming, and predictably he comes along.

His donk lead, is pretty much 1/3-1/4 of my stack, and he's volatile, do you just give this one up? I wud still have 100+ big blinds?

Too expensive to float? and he's likely to fire the turn again with all his bluffs as well as his aces. So floating to fold the turn is abit daft?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PokerPaul2 Small blind  15.00 15.00 2510.00
Spartan735 Big blind  30.00 45.00 3435.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

BENJYHOGAN Call  30.00 75.00 3875.00
Aces527 Call  30.00 105.00 1725.00
B14KEY Call  30.00 135.00 2260.00
DOHHHHHHH Raise  300.00 435.00 3480.00
PokerPaul2 Fold     
Spartan735 Call  270.00 705.00 3165.00
BENJYHOGAN Fold     
Aces527 Fold     
B14KEY Fold     
Flop

• A

Spartan735 Bet  705.00 1410.00 2460.00
DOHHHHHHH ????    

Comments

• edited October 2010
    How committed to the tourney are you? In something like the primo, or a deepstack event, where I'd want to survive I'd pass. But if it's a standardish tournament, just chuck the chips in and hope he's still on a mental one and not got a rag ace. Could still bink a queen.

Great spot for an early double up and get a chipstack to take deep.
  • edited October 2010

Well the longer I stay in this, the longer I can avoid the cash table grind for :)

I not shy to gamble early on, but this is a spot where I'm miles ahead, or miles behind.

It's basically a matter of, "has he got the ace or not?"

If I had a flush draw to the nuts or something I don't mind it, but to get it in hoping he hasn't got an ace, and saying "If he has, I've got 2 outs" aint quite enough for even me.....

Ive just doubled the hand before....I don't wanna enter a tourny, get an early double and throw it away.......

How likely is he to have the ace here?

• edited October 2010
    all i can say is, I really have no idea what i'd do here lol! i'd probably fold seen as it's early and you have a good stack etc .. 
  • edited October 2010

It's really frustrating but I would probably just fold and find a better spot which should arrive if he is steaming as you say.