You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ups & Downs

edited August 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
I'm sure everyone goes through this but i seem to be having an especially bad time at the moment and was looking for some words of encouragement from the rest of you.I seem to find myself walking into people playing highly speculative hands after a 3 or 4 times raise.....for instance i just got done by a 6 2 after raising with jacks.
I know we all have our share of bad luck but i seem to be getting mine all at once.
I also know that the people who play like this will lose money in the long run but it is deeply annoying when you walk into 2 or 3 of these 'players' in one sitting.
This speculative type of play even makes me consider playing this way but i know thats not my game and i would feel really uncomfortable trying to convince my self otherwise.
I consider myself to be a fair player on the site but it really sticks in my throat when i analyse the hand i've just played and then come to the conclusion that i didn't do a lot wrong.
I'm sorry if it sounds like i'm moaning, i enjoy sky poker and have some good chats with some players but i'm growing more discouraged as time goes on...... should i just ride it out playing my own game, alter my playing method or take a break?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    If your game has been a winning one before, then I see no reason in changing it because of a few bad beats; we all get them and we all give them out.

If you do want to alter your game then thats also a good idea, however you shouldn't be looking to alter your game because of these bad beats, you should ALWAYS be looking to improve your game whether you are winning or losing.  Simply browsing these forums is a small and easy step towards that but there are others such as books/video sites/magazines etc.

And lastly if you feel that the beats ARE getting to you and they are making you play worse, then it is a very good idea to take a few days/weeks to recollect your thoughts to return with a clear mind.

Good luck sir.

EDIT:  One more thing, if it is possible then why not post these hands that you lost in for other players to give their input into how you played the hand...there may be a part of your game that could be improved and having feedback is the best and easiest way to do that.

We all play hands bad so theres no shame in it, just because you lost :)
  • edited August 2009
    And lastly if you feel that the beats ARE getting to you and they are making you play worse, then it is a very good idea to take a few days/weeks to recollect your thoughts to return with a clear mind.
    --------

that's good advice

plus i always sharkscope them to confirm what i think of them :)