You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Genius play! (or just a donk)

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
not sure if i played it brilliantly(even though i lost) or if it was a stupid donk move?

sam was playing loose and raising with average hands to nick blinds(good play imo) so i thought i would call then check raise all in on a weak flop,
this panned out just as i wanted except sam wouldnt fold his bottom pair to a shove!

lebuff69 Small blind  800.00 800.00 21507.72 DAVEYZZ Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 29918.14   Your hole cards 7 3       Hindustani Fold     BananaDog Fold     sam1986 Raise  3800.00 6200.00 50303.25 FEARLEZZ Fold     lebuff69 Fold     DAVEYZZ Call  2200.00 8400.00 27718.14 Flop    9 8 2       DAVEYZZ Check     sam1986 Bet  4800.00 13200.00 45503.25 DAVEYZZ All-in  27718.14 40918.14 0.00 sam1986 Call  22918.14 63836.28 22585.11 DAVEYZZ Show 7 3    sam1986 Show 2 3    Turn    8       River    4       sam1986 Win Two Pairs, 8s and 2s 63836.28  86421.39
cheers,dave

Comments

• edited October 2010
    IMO you played it well and he should of folded. UL
  • edited October 2010
    +1

But if he's raising so often why do it with a hand so weak, at least do it with a hand that can flop something or catch up if called, s/c's pp's etc. He should have folded but hey ho, do it again with KK.
  • edited October 2010
    How come you are allowed to name players involved in hands? most are told NEVER to do this
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Genius play! (or just a donk):
    How come you are allowed to name players involved in hands? most are told NEVER to do this
    Posted by debdobs_67
    hi deb,dont know if i am allowed but i never removed the name because unlike most posts i am not having a go at sam,totally the opposite in fact....i think i played it well,and i think sam played it well.....

but did sam make a great call with bottom pair (putting me on a big ace etc) or a bad call for 5 times his raise when i could of hit the board and had him crushed.....

the title refers to me btw not sam

dave
  • edited October 2010
    +1 But if he's raising so often why do it with a hand so weak, at least do it with a hand that can flop something or catch up if called, s/c's pp's etc. He should have folded but hey ho, do it again with KK.
    Posted by stien
    yep good point,but if i waited for kk i would be blinded out :),but maybe i was a bit stubborn because it was my bb

gl,dave
  • edited October 2010
    unlucky very good play just unfortunate it was sam, i think its better to play this hand with a bad hand as opposed to a good hand as if a 7 hadcome down he still would of done the same against you. Its clever play and a good read from sam. He is a good player very loose but can put people on hands well.
    From experience in tornys i prefer if making this move to flat call the flop and shove the turn hit or not. Because in his mind he has two more cards to improve his hand give him one and then shove on  turn as if u made ur hand.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Genius play! (or just a donk) : hi deb,dont know if i am allowed but i never removed the name because unlike most posts i am not having a go at sam,totally the opposite in fact....i think i played it well,and i think sam played it well..... but did sam make a great call with bottom pair (putting me on a big ace etc) or a bad call for 5 times his raise when i could of hit the board and had him crushed..... the title refers to me btw not sam dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Yep fair enough
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Genius play! (or just a donk) : yep good point,but if i waited for kk i would be blinded out :),but maybe i was a bit stubborn because it was my bb gl,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

Had my cash head on sorry. Yes waiting for a very big hand is a problem in a tourney but i still prefer a hand more likely to have greater value post flop if your shove gets called, particularly against a player who can make an outstanding call here with bottom pair.

Here i'd just fold pf and wait for a better spot or a weaker player who may have a tighter range but is less able to call on the flop without hitting big or having an over pair. 
  • edited October 2010
    unlucky very good play just unfortunate it was sam, i think its better to play this hand with a bad hand as opposed to a good hand as if a 7 hadcome down he still would of done the same against you. Its clever play and a good read from sam. He is a good player very loose but can put people on hands well. From experience in tornys i prefer if making this move to flat call the flop and shove the turn hit or not. Because in his mind he has two more cards to improve his hand give him one and then shove on  turn as if u made ur hand.
    Posted by Batkin88
    yes good point,i dont know sam's play but i will think a bit longer next time we come across each other :).

i may(or may not) use that move tonight in the primo

cheers,dave