You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

folded hands

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
Two points from JH on T of P LN ( 3 - use of initials instead of full phrase ) 
1) is poker a sport ? Answer doesn't matter - we have the Commonwealth Games & Olympic games so all sports must be games whereas all games aren't sports ( Scrabble ) so lets lobby the Olympic committee to include poker in the future .
2) he doesn't like the folded hands being shown . I do . I often play the folded hnd in my head against what is happening on the table and measure myself against the opposition. The annoying thing for me is - if I am off the table and the hand is timed out - the hands are not remembered so you don't know what might have been. Sigh !........

Comments

• edited October 2010

1) copied from the Wikipedia page....

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In sports the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines or equipment. In contrast, games such as card games and board games, though these could be called mind sports and some are recognized as Olympic sports, require primarily mental skills and only mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch, are usually classified as forms of recreation.

so poker cannot be a sport, it is a game. 

• edited October 2010
    theres so much luck in a single donkament that it would never be considered by the olympic committe
  • edited October 2010
    I didn't say it WAS a sport. I said sports are games and the Olympics are games .   Anyway poker is physical - you have to have a strong finger and fast reactions to click the mouse . Have you not seen the mouse clicking championships ?

But if you rely on Wikipedia you must know how often they get it wrong.
    n Response to Re: folded hands:
    1) copied from the Wikipedia page.... A sport is an organized , competitive , entertaining , and skillful physical activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play , in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs . In sports the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome ( winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines or equipment. In contrast, games such as card games and board games , though these could be called mind sports and some are recognized as Olympic sports, require primarily mental skills and only mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch, are usually classified as forms of recreation . so poker cannot be a sport, it is a game. 
    Posted by GREGHOGG
  • edited October 2010
    Actually analysing this definition  - take out fair play ( Did you not watch the World Cup ?) , entertaining ( can thnk of many sports which bore me to tears - cricket ? ), skillful ( running as fast as you can ?) 

Response to Re: folded hands:
    1) copied from the Wikipedia page.... A sport is an organized , competitive , entertaining , and skillful physical activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play , in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs . In sports the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome ( winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines or equipment. In contrast, games such as card games and board games , though these could be called mind sports and some are recognized as Olympic sports, require primarily mental skills and only mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch, are usually classified as forms of recreation . so poker cannot be a sport, it is a game. 
    Posted by GREGHOGG
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: folded hands:
    I didn't say it WAS a sport. I said sports are games and the Olympics are games .   Anyway poker is physical - you have to have a strong finger and fast reactions to click the mouse . Have you not seen the mouse clicking championships ? But if you rely on Wikipedia you must know how often they get it wrong. n Response to Re: folded hands :
    Posted by tiercel
    i stumbled accross this.... click HERE (just the once)
  • edited October 2010
    Like it . lol .

Thought for a minute it was going to get serious .

In Response to Re: folded hands : i stumbled accross this.... click HERE (just the once)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: folded hands:
    Like it . lol . Thought for a minute it was going to get serious . n Response to Re: folded hands :
    Posted by tiercel
    i cant get past 40 lol

guess im not cut out to be a mouse clicker...
  • edited October 2010
    Oh dear - only managed 30. No  gold for me .

In Response to Re: folded hands : i cant get past 40 lol guess im not cut out to be a mouse clicker...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
  • edited October 2010
    I managed 74! 
  • edited October 2010
    Regarding your point about the folded hands. I am opposite, I have mentioned this to 1 of the tech guys as when multitabling I find it easier if the cards that are not in play are not shown. It would be an option you could change in your personal preferences, they stated it would be pretty easy to implement, so maybe in the next upgrade...

p.s 73 clicks
  • edited October 2010
    93 so do i win?
  • edited October 2010
    I agree with you . the option to show or would be good. If I couldn't see them I'd spend the next half trying to remeber what they were.

Regarding your point about the folded hands. I am opposite, I have mentioned this to 1 of the tech guys as when multitabling I find it easier if the cards that are not in play are not shown. It would be an option you could change in your personal preferences, they stated it would be pretty easy to implement, so maybe in the next upgrade... p.s 73 clicks
    Posted by FlashFlush
  • edited October 2010
     Got a faulty left click on laptop. It always doubleclicks and I claim 96 .

93 so do i win?
    Posted by debdobs_67
  • edited October 2010

keep misclicking lol