You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash and Tournaments!

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
Basically, I don't know what to do. I've had quite a lot of success in tournaments, winning quite a few and getting high finishes. But obviously it's quite high variance in a tournament so anybody could win. 

In cash, I sometimes do well, as in double or treble up, but sometimes I just lose it all through being inpatient. It's not the level i'm playing at, it's just down to me I think. I'm just thinking of giving up on cash for a bit and continuing on with only tournaments. BUT i think just playing tournaments would get very boring! 

What i'm asking is, is it possible solely to play tournaments and not cash and still make decent money? I'm not doing this for an income or anything I'm still a student, but I enjoy playing and play most nights. Your comments would be appreciated! P.s. if anybody else on the site just plays tournaments and makes decent money, it'd be good to hear from you.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    People do make money regularly at tournaments, and it's certainly possible on sky- depends on your attitude.

For the bigger tournaments, you probably want to play fairly seriously, but if you play a lot of the lower stake BH tourneys, you could do well by playing quite loose and aggressive early on, and aim to double or bust. If you double, great- take it seriously, and get deep (hopefully). If you bust, no problem.

I'm pretty sure that's the aim of most 'proper' tournament players, who aim to play a huge volume- rather than playing a shortstack tournament for 2 hours and maybe earn a tenner by making the cash, you aim to give yourself a great shot of winning the tournament early on.

That's what I'd see as a strategy :)
  • edited October 2010
    Cheers Deuces! I always play for the win and not to cash anyway so that wouldn't be a problem. I might give just tournaments and sit & go's a go for October. 
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think it's the best idea to play just tournaments on sky while the schedule remains as it is. I'd play cash and then mix in the three or so mtt's that are actually worth playing.
  • edited October 2010
    I used to solely play tournaments and made quite a decent profit out of it (check my sharkscope) but the trouble is as you say the variance can be a killer. It can lead you to look at your game and start trying to change things that don't need it. On the flip side 1 good night in tournaments and that can set you up for a long time.

I have now changed to playing cash, just because there is a steady income coming in to fund the MTTs during a bad spell, and cash is a better way of making steady consistant money.

I find playing more tables on cash will help increase your patience and should help with your blow ups. Also if you reach a stack you are happy with i.e double/trip your sit down then just cash out, thats the beauty of cash, take the profits and join a new table if you want to carry on.
  • edited October 2010
    very good point there flash, i do ok in tourneys but cash i always get to how much i'd be happy with and i will keep playing even when i think i shouldnt and will lose a chunk if not it all. Lately i have been doing better also had go at 3 tabling 4nl yesterday(not rolled for higher multitabling) and found it does even the variance up and did ok where as if i played just one i would be bored and not as patient. great advice thats all i wanted to say flash