You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help needed

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I am a fairly new player (although been online a long time) and i play very irregularly, and only just started to play more often. 

I am an ok player (i think ha ha) and want to go to the next level (whilst staying within my bankroll), for this i think i need to strat capturing titbits of information on the players on the table so i can start to 'read' what they are doing and what they are likely to be holding. 

I know Sky has the facility to add comments on players but i don't really have a clue about what i should be capturing.  Any tips or ideas about what i should be capturing would be greatly appreicated, at the moment i kinda put down what they have done on certain hands i.e. "raised 4xbb in first position" but that doesn't seem to help if i don't know what cards they were actually holding.

If you are going to comment, please make sure it's not too technical as i say i am a fairly new player.

Thanks

Iain

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Note there range of hands which they raise pre with
    wether ther tight/aggressive   loose/passive
    wether they fold to bluffs
    wether they fish for gut shots
    chase flushes whatever the price
    play rag aces

A good tip i have always used is when your not in a hand watch and try and put the players on hands, and see how close you are when they turn them over at showdown, the more you do this you will realise you will start getting it right more often.

Also note if they are a better player even if you dont like to admit it!! lol its always cost effective to avoid the better players
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Here's an example of my notes on a player, i'm not very good at abbreviating lol!

min raised c bet on v wet brd (kqxhh) with ace high gut shot
    donk bet v small with trips on very wet flop then called raise
    calling station monkey
    donk bet 1/3 pot 3 way on dry q high flop then folded to raise
    very small donk bets down all streets with ace high on 33326 brd
    donk bet ace high flop then c/f blank turn
    min raised ace high flop scary brd with raggy ace
    min 4 bet with a6s
    donk bet pot on paired dry brd then gave up on turn and river
  • edited October 2010
    a little tip, it may be annoying but I always put the game type and date on a note.  The date is probably more important as people do develop over time
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Help needed:
    a little tip, it may be annoying but I always put the game type and date on a note.  The date is probably more important as people do develop over time
    Posted by TommyD

I do this, but rarely use the notes tbh i will have a look but most the time i would just make a mental note , problem is my memory is 50/50 lol
  • edited October 2010
    Brilliant, thank you all very much, all great advice and really liked the advice about guessing what people are holding and the date and type of event makes a lot of sense too.

Thanks guys really appreciate it.
  • edited October 2010
    hi wiiseolfc your reading skills will devlelop more u play were as it will just come  like second nature to be able to put them on 2 cards there holding
  • edited October 2010

I play 10p/20p and dont go overboard on taking notes - partly becouse software not as great as other sites. IMO vast majority of players can be beaten playing ABC poker.

I want to mark out players who are strong, aggressive and can bet with or without a hand  ie anyone who's likely to give you a tough time,  so I can be aware of them or avoid them shorthanded.

I like to note

Flushmasters  - chase flush regardless of price
    Acemaster - pay any ace regardless of price

Then again that's a lot of the players you'll come up against.

If I was playing tournaments/sngs I'ld be using sharkscope.com to record basic stats such as profitability & no. of games played

• edited October 2010
    Here's an example of my notes on a player, i'm not very good at abbreviating lol! min raised c bet on v wet brd (kqxhh) with ace high gut shot donk bet v small with trips on very wet flop then called raise calling station monkey donk bet 1/3 pot 3 way on dry q high flop then folded to raise very small donk bets down all streets with ace high on 33326 brd donk bet ace high flop then c/f blank turn min raised ace high flop scary brd with raggy ace min 4 bet with a6s donk bet pot on paired dry brd then gave up on turn and river
    Posted by yb
    how can you possibly type all this out in game when you are multitabling and suddenly it will cut off from your note box when you have action elsewhere isnt it the most tilting thing ever to type it all out and realise all you have is the first letter saved?

fwiw  i tend to just write out hh's in short form so it would be like  'mr cbet KQxhh AJ'  'dbet/c small 33 357dd'
    then if after a few hh's you get a pretty good read id delete them and just write 'donk bets small with flop nuts, slowplay to raise'

i also include betsizing where i think its anything less than standard, which i would write betting the turn for £38 into £40 pot as 'bet T(38/40)'
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Help needed : how can you possibly type all this out in game when you are multitabling and suddenly it will cut off from your note box when you have action elsewhere isnt it the most tilting thing ever to type it all out and realise all you have is the first letter saved?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Even worse is on sky where if you run out of character space in the note box it will let you carry on typing but just wont save anything!!!