You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was it really that obvious I was semi bluffing?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PredatorT1 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £80.23
dub1 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £47.25
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

x Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £78.45
FlashFlush Raise   £4.50 £6.75 £49.00
gerrard9 Fold        
PredatorT1 Fold        
dub1 Fold        
x Call   £3.00 £9.75 £75.45
Flop

• A
  • K

x Bet   £4.00 £13.75 £71.45
FlashFlush Raise   £11.50 £25.25 £37.50
x Call   £7.50 £32.75 £63.95
Turn

x Check        
FlashFlush All-in   £37.50 £70.25 £0.00
x Call   £37.50 £107.75 £26.45
x Show
  • A

FlashFlush Show
  • Q
  • K

River

x Win Pair of Aces £105.95   £132.40

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I don't like his play at all. If he's a fish tho he's never laying that down after he's called pre and flop. If he's a reg then meh, pm me his name pls.

Btw if you have AK, AQ, KK, AA you are never shoving the turn? Looks pretty weak
  • edited October 2010
    Maybe raise more on the flop? He'd still probably call though, just make a note of him and next time when you actually have a good hand you'll take his money! 
  • edited October 2010
    would we shove turn with a hand that has actual value?

fwiw don't like betting turn here.  we have actual SDV and we are ahead of some of his range.  check imo and you ahve to have specific reads to get someone who has donked/called flop off an A

and just being pedantic and probably very wrong but are we semi bluffing here?  we have actual showdown value its not like we have JTcc.
  • edited October 2010
    this isnt semi bluffing, this is value betting thinly, however apart from being pedantic the fact u 3bet the UTG you are already aware the this guys is playing loosley. A lot of the top players on site and others for that matter leak like crazy doing this. I don't believe you should 3betting light against loose players. this play should only be employed against people who fold to a fair amount of 3bets. The main point being though you where wrong to 3bet pre but right to value bet thin. Another point is that i dont believe at some point during this play you didnt start to think that you where behind and if that is the case against calling station you really should be given up your hand.... The same old saying never bluff a donk.
  • edited October 2010
    stop clicking buttons
  • edited October 2010
    I didn't think this guy was a donk/station. He is a regular player who I will be following from now on. I felt with the flushy straighty draws my shove along with my 3bet pre would look like AQ/AJ and just wanting to kill the pot there.

I felt he was weak as he flated my 3bet, his donk bet was also very small so when I 3bet him post flop I was suprised he called but then the check says to me he is weak (Which I was right) If I bet out again and he calls I am commited to the pot and have no fold equity, so to me shoving here was the best option after already investing £16 into the pot which I have shown massive strength.

I think 90% of people fold here making this the correct read/play in the long run and as said I will be sitting at this players table more often from now on :-)
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    I think raising flop and betting turn are both bad here, trying to get someone to fold an ace isn't normally a great idea imo.

Also why did you 3bet pre? Was it for value or bluff?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Was it really that obvious I was semi bluffing?:
    I think raising flop and betting turn are both bad here, trying to get someone to fold an ace isn't normally a great idea imo. Also why did you 3bet pre? Was it for value or bluff?
    Posted by yb
    I was in 1 of those moods last night where I wanted to get a load of action going, average pots were really small and I just wanted to loosen the play up a bit. Players were being very passive so 3betting in position seemed a good idea at the time :-)
  • edited October 2010
    i think pre is fine although i would flat call with KQs postflop is pretty bad imo.
    people do not fold top pair or better in 3bet pots.
    we beat all worse hands than top pair.
    i would just flat call the flop and most likely call a turn bet depending on sizing