You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL20 hand pre flop played correctly?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Like it, take down a decent pot preflop- always happy with jacks.

If you had position, flatting or raising smaller may have been an idea, but out of position, too many cards will come down on flop you don't like, and on a flop you *do* like, there's the threat of him hitting a set or 2 pair, if he's betting with low pps/connectors. Almost any flop which he bets on you're not going to like.

Get as much in pre when you're fairly sure you're ahead, then he can't bluff you on the flop- no matter if the flop comes down AKQ you've got enough committed to have to call, then when he flips over his 55 you can laugh and take it down. :)

As it is though, robbing 14.5 bbs without seeing a flop is never a bad thing, whatever your cards.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Right done well last night but just going through hands trying to spot where i could pick up more, villain had been at table for whole half hour and been pretty nitty only playing strong hands. Personally i put them either a lower pair which i was happy to commit pre or AK,AQ which again happy to go in do you think this is correct the way i have played this? starting to play a bit more cash again and going to review hands whether winning or losing after each session.
    Darkforce Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £16.11
    Jamrod1000 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £5.36
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

YOUNG_GUN Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £38.48
    xx Raise   £2.60 £3.70 £27.64
    Darkforce Fold        
    Jamrod1000 Fold        
    YOUNG_GUN Raise   £9.00 £12.70 £29.48
    xx
    Fold        
    YOUNG_GUN Muck        
    YOUNG_GUN Win   £5.50   £34.98
    YOUNG_GUN Return   £7.20 £0.00 £42.18
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks deuces for your comment i was just thinking what do you think of the bet sizing on the re-re-raise? just an afterthought do you think £7.20- £9 would have done the same job? just interested whether i have risked a tiny bit too much, also would appreciate any others thoughts on this....
  • edited October 2010

What are your notes/reads on xxx?

What sort of hands will he 3 bet with?

I'm not sure I like 4 betting 45xbb with JJ when playing 150xbb deep.....You're never supposed to 4 bet then fold, so if he 5 bet shoves, you're all in drawing to 2 outs against AA KK or QQ.......

You must have some notes on the guy to confidently 4 bet jacks 150xbb deep?
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Only 4bet if you aren't going to fold to a shove. Against nits I wouldn't be happy stacking off 150bbs deep with JJ so I'd call and play a flop.

Also your 4bet size is massive. If you want to re-raise I'd probably make it around £6.60ish fwiw.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: NL10 hand pre flop played correctly?:
    What are your notes/reads on xxx? What sort of hands will he 3 bet with? I'm not sure I like 4 betting 45xbb with JJ when playing 150xbb deep.....You're never supposed to 4 bet then fold, so if he 5 bet shoves, you're all in drawing to 2 outs against AA KK or QQ....... You must have some notes on the guy to confidently 4 bet jacks 150xbb deep?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Thanks for your response jj, right my reads were as said in openning post. i have never played villain before other then the 30 mins before, i dont remember specifically what he has been 3 or 4 betting with as i dont think many have gone to showdown but he was definately on the nitty side from his play TAG. Personally i was confident i was ahead even if marginally vs AK or crushing />10s but obviously not enough geniune sample size to have seen him 3 or 4 bet before
  • edited October 2010

Only 4bet if you aren't going to fold to a shove. Against nits I wouldn't be happy stacking off 150bbs deep with JJ so I'd call and play a flop. Also your 4bet size is massive. If you want to re-raise I'd probably make it around £6.60ish fwiw.
    Posted by yb

Hi Yb, thats exactly my after thought why i bet soo much think i was happy for him to just fold in the heat of the momment. i think the deeper play maybe i need to learn to conserve chips and not get in races jj vs ak i was just sure i was ahead and if i saw a ace, king or queen on flop i would have struggled to win the pot imo
  • edited October 2010

Isn't it better to 4 bet bigger with jacks if you believe the guy 3 bets with AQ/AK/QK, as you want as much FE as you can get? (if you're prepared to stack off ofc, which as you said, you should be when 4 betting)

Or does that only apply to tourny situations?
  • edited October 2010
    Sorry to be picky young gun but it's nl20 not 10 :)
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    I like to make my 4bets a size where my opponent would think that he still has fold equity, so I can widen his range for getting stacks in (also it balances your range if you ever 4bet bluff). So if I'm playing 100bbs deep I wouldn't want my 4bet size to be more than ~ 30bbs. I make it a bit smaller if villain is good enough to know not to flat 4bets when 100bbs deep. If stack sizes/3bet size is such that I can't do it unless I give him ridiculously good odds to call the 4bet I would just shove. In this hand I'd make it a bit bigger than normal as we're 150bbs deep but making it 45bbs is too much imo as that just means we're never folding, and I think we are going to be in very bad shape if the stacks go in.

Some of this stuff might not be relevant to 20nl btw, I mean if you have a premium hand and villain is a sort of player that likes calling big 4bets but calls shoves a lot less than obv just make your sizings bigger. But I think just 4betting because you don't know what to do and want to take down a pot is the wrong way of thinking.

• edited October 2010

Ahh so u sacrifice FE, and accept the race against AQ/AK, in the hope that sometimes you will encourage 99/1010/AJs to jam?

I never thought of it like that, but will do from now on!

Nice 1 yb.
  • edited October 2010
    yeah when you 4bet shove people love to put you on AK DOHHH, ive seen numerious times ppl stack off with 22-88 pf this way, its quite lol aslong as you do have a reasonably balanced 4bet shoving range.

young_gun i really do not see how you can possibly go from 'he is nitty side of TAG havent seen him show down much and have almsot no reads' to 'he definately doesnt have QQ,KK,AA so im happy getting this in'.  i really dislike the 4bet given your description of villain and obv sizing isnt great as others have said
  • edited October 2010
    Donkey i wasnt sure lol cos the blinds but buy in was full £20 so i can see it is NL20 lol

Yb at no point did i say i did not know where i was at i was pretty in control other then i bet a bit more then i should have but still think borderline whether someone would call at £7 or £9 at this level imo i havent been playing long enough to ascetain whether to take this line in the future just this one hand which again i said i was happy to call a shove or what not i was very confident i was ahead.
  • edited October 2010
    Donkey i wasnt sure lol cos the blinds but buy in was full £20 so i can see it is NL20 lol Yb at no point did i say i did not know where i was at i was pretty in control other then i bet a bit more then i should have but still think borderline whether someone would call at £7 or £9 at this level imo i havent been playing long enough to ascetain whether to take this line in the future just this one hand which again i said i was happy to call a shove or what not i was very confident i was ahead.
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    This word ftw !!!
  • edited October 2010
    excuse the spelling but u knew what i meant JJ :P
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Donkey i wasnt sure lol cos the blinds but buy in was full £20 so i can see it is NL20 lol Yb at no point did i say i did not know where i was at i was pretty in control other then i bet a bit more then i should have but still think borderline whether someone would call at £7 or £9 at this level imo i havent been playing long enough to ascetain whether to take this line in the future just this one hand which again i said i was happy to call a shove or what not i was very confident i was ahead.
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    So what made you think he couldn't have QQ+? Against a nitty player if the stacks went in here I wouldn't be confident I was ahead at all!
  • edited October 2010
    Right apologise yb i didnt mean nit by total nit but had nit tendancies, doubt makes much sense. He has not been very active and when he was winning hands more often preflop no showdown, a couple times he did show he had a strong but not the nuts hand.

Ok onto my image i had been playing few hands really, had doubled up a few hands into the table with a10, hit 10 high vs k9 but was against a total donk(you can see hand in area51 if you want under donkeyplops thread !)
    anyways i imagine i had pretty solid image in others eyes especially someone who had been playing a similar amount of hands. My opening raise is standard utg at this level with any hand i want to play, his re-raise basically said to me he had AK.AQsuited, or underpair basically on narrowing his range at the time i put on this range. looking back i would guess he had 77 or smaller dont rater him highly enough to fold 99 or 1010.

thats how i have come to the decision i was ahead i apologise in advance if dont make much sense but thats me :o)
  • edited October 2010

You came to the conclusion about what he had, after he had folded???

When you 4 bet surely QQ,KK,AA are all very possible?
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    From his 3bet I don't get how you can just put him on AQ+,77-TT. Surely he would play QQ/KK/AA the same way? Which hands do you think he would continue with after a 45bb 4bet? How does JJ fare against these hands?

• edited October 2010
    i dont give him the credit to have better i think he would do £3.20 or try to put more in basically thats main reason i have discounted those top hands.
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: NL20 hand pre flop played correctly?:
    i dont give him the credit to have better i think he would do £3.20 or try to put more in basically thats main reason i have discounted those top hands.
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    You can't have that read after only playing with him for 30 mins. His 3bet size is pretty standard in position tbh.
  • edited October 2010
    From his 3bet I don't get how you can just put him on AQ+,77-TT. Surely he would play QQ/KK/AA the same way? Which hands do you think he would continue with after a 45bb 4bet? How does JJ fare against these hands?
    Posted by yb

i didnt narrow him on those i said AK, AQ or any pp less then mine 1010 />

well i firstly didnt want him to call, or if he did i wanted him to commit with hands which they need to hit which are aq or ak, think he could call or shove with 99 & 10 10 here which i would be dominating with ak aq will be racing but i got the made hand. anyways im of for a bit so will check back on this when i get in laters :o)
  • edited October 2010
    Don't fold after 4 betting. Haven't read the thread but w/e lol_raise/yb said ....
  • edited October 2010
    Your play worked if he was 3 betting light or didnt have inclination to take a flip with AK/AQ. Otherwise you,re just getting called/reraised by hands that have you crushed. 

I'ld be wanting to call & see a "safe" flop before committing, of course with additional spice of flopping a set.

I say "safe" cos many a time in this spot you'll stack off against QQ+ when undercards flop
  • edited October 2010
    Your play worked if he was 3 betting light or didnt have inclination to take a flip with AK/AQ. Otherwise you,re just getting called/reraised by hands that have you crushed.  I'ld be wanting to call & see a "safe" flop before committing, of course with additional spice of flopping a set. I say "safe" cos many a time in this spot you'll stack off against QQ+ when undercards flop
    Posted by simonnatur
    sorry but a few things? firstly AK/AQ does not have you crushed you are actually favourate but not by too much
    also you say you want to call and see a safe flop thats very nitty, what if ace comes down you let someone represent it and fold? i'd say callking is worse you can do. i can understand me betting too much here etc but flat calling is terrible, what if you get someone with 2s etc and they hit there set where they would fold to any raise at all. Finally you say you will stack off against qq+  you will do that whatever low flop hence why im happy with the 4th starting hand its unlikely more often then not the oppenent has those other 3
  • edited October 2010

I don't think calling the 3 bet is bad at all.......

You need to have some faith in your post flop skills, it isn't as black/white as you are making out....

If an ace flops, you don't assume that you're behind 100% of the time. Like-wise, if it's a 7 high flop, you can't assume that you are ahead 100% of the time.

You can see the flop, then outplay your opponent post flop.

Granted, you are out of position, so it's harder to play deep OOP - but it's not impossible. 

I personally hate 4 betting/getting it in with queens 100xbb deep, never-mind Jacks 150xbb deep........

I think personally, without concrete reads that calling is the best option, rather than the worst, folding/4 betting are just as bad as each-other.

** You also say it's unlikely your opponent has any of the 3 hands that beat you, but QQ/KK/AA makes up a massive part of your oppos 3 betting range....