You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help with this hand please

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
How do you play a hand like this?
Fold to the flop bet?
Re-raise on the flop to find out where you are?
Call the bet and see what he does on the turn?
Slate my play if you like it's the only way I will learn. :)
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
orraloon Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £3.67
punxxs_13 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.90
  Your hole cards

sb72 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £4.34
AcesDiva Raise   £0.40 £0.65 £5.40
Tevos Fold        
THEROCKET Fold        
orraloon Fold        
punxxs_13 Call   £0.30 £0.95 £9.60
sb72 Fold        
Flop

• A

punxxs_13 Check        
AcesDiva Bet   £0.71 £1.66 £4.69
punxxs_13 Call   £0.71 £2.37 £8.89
Turn

punxxs_13 Check        
AcesDiva Check        
River

• A

punxxs_13 Bet   £1.78 £4.15 £7.11
AcesDiva Raise   £3.56 £7.71 £1.13
punxxs_13 Fold        
AcesDiva Muck        
AcesDiva Win   £5.49   £6.62
AcesDiva Return   £1.78 £0.44 £8.40

Comments

• edited October 2010
    folding pre wouldn't be the worst move
    as played 100% check/fold flop
  • edited October 2010
    check raise flop, find out if he has the ace. He either folds or he carries on. If he carries on you're done with the hand, if he folds you take it down. That way you don't go down the streets not knowing what is going on and throwing good money after bad
  • edited October 2010
    I certainly would not be betting on the river. The board now beats your hand.
    All your opponant needs is any 10 J Q K or A in his hand to beat you and after the raise pre-flop, it is likely that he has the board beat. Time to give up this hand on the river
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Help with this hand please:
    check raise flop, find out if he has the ace. He either folds or he carries on. If he carries on you're done with the hand, if he folds you take it down. That way you don't go down the streets not knowing what is going on and throwing good money after bad
    Posted by salazar
    why would you c/r this flop? he could continue with an ace, any pp, or a flush draw, i don't see the need to get involved
  • edited October 2010
    I would call pre, then seing as you missed set easy fold on flop imo.

• edited October 2010
    Call pre, fold if dont hit and no reads
  • edited October 2010
    Never fold pre! You can hit a set init :)

Once that flop comes down you can just fold.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Help with this hand please : why would you c/r this flop? he could continue with an ace, any pp, or a flush draw, i don't see the need to get involved
    Posted by SHANXTA

My thought process for check-raising flop would be along the lines of just because someone raises pre and continuation bets, does not necessarily mean they have the ace. I think a re-raise would make it very hard for anyone without the ace or 6 to carry on so i might even get bigger pairs than 5's to fold.
    Chasing flush draws on paired boards is the quick way to the poor house so this hand would be more unlikely.
    Either way i would be pretty sure that any hand that did carry on against me was beating me and i could just check fold turn.
    Check-fold on the flop is also fine. i don't like just calling down the streets though.
  • edited October 2010
    Set mining against a 50xbb stack? Whats the minimum a guy needs to have to go set mining professeritably?

Im sure someone will answer that.

Don't mind check calling the flop if the other card (6 6 'x') is anything but an ace or a king, but with the ace being there, it's gonna have hit loads of his hands, just check and give it up.

I can understand why you bet the river, as he's checked behind on the turn, but now even if he has KQ, KJ, KT, (all are hands that he could have played this way) will call you.....as will 77-KK.

If you have a pocket pair above 6's I would value bet this river, and fold to a raise.......

• edited October 2010
    salazar if he is betting this flop with 77-KK which i highly doubt then he most likely isnt folding to a raise.

DOHHHH check/calling this flop is bad because any two overcards have 40% equity against you and any better has 90%.
  • edited October 2010
    Cheers everyone for replies.

• edited October 2010

I dont think check raising this flop is a bad play in a MTT but not cash you have to just check fold it here. He will not fold an ace to a re raise he will just call then u will be stuck on the turn and he will never fold a pocket pair above 6's unless you shove flop!
    Only way u win this hand is by folding and losing less IMO, or with reads shoving turn if you know he does not have 6 but i wouldnt recommend it!!!

(The reason is say its different in MTT is because of blind increases and there would be a wider range of cards he will be betting into this flop with later on in the tournaments)

Cash games never end you can play for ever so no need to risk a anything here

• edited October 2010
    Thanks Batkin.

Played this hand badly.. Should have been check folding on that flop.

Don't play many mtt at mo.. Trying to focus on cash and improve.
  • edited October 2010
    I dont think check raising this flop is a bad play in a MTT but not cash you have to just check fold it here. He will not fold an ace to a re raise he will just call then u will be stuck on the turn and he will never fold a pocket pair above 6's unless you shove flop! Only way u win this hand is by folding and losing less IMO, or with reads shoving turn if you know he does not have 6 but i wouldnt recommend it!!! (The reason is say its different in MTT is because of blind increases and there would be a wider range of cards he will be betting into this flop with later on in the tournaments) Cash games never end you can play for ever so no need to risk a anything here
    Posted by Batkin88
    I'm never playing again.
  • edited October 2010
    Mr dohhhhh do you have blood or is it just sarcasm that runs through your veins??? ;)
    Glad to see your back on cash tables watched ya hammer nl30 last nyt why did you go up to nl50?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to xx:
    Mr dohhhhh do you have blood or is it just sarcasm that runs through your veins??? ;) Glad to see your back on cash tables watched ya hammer nl30 last nyt why did you go up to nl50?
    Posted by Batkin88
    I think it's mainly scrumpy............................