You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3 problem hands last night in fun game

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
LML Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £18.60
TommyD Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £25.27
  Your hole cards

phil12uk Fold        
YOUNG_GUN Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £34.87
donkeyplop Fold        
LML Call   £0.35 £0.90 £18.25
TommyD Raise   £1.50 £2.40 £23.77
YOUNG_GUN Call   £1.20 £3.60 £33.67
LML Fold        
Flop

• Q

TommyD Bet   £2.90 £6.50 £20.87
YOUNG_GUN Raise   £7.40 £13.90 £26.27
TommyD All-in   £20.87 £34.77 £0.00
YOUNG_GUN Fold        
TommyD Show
  • A
  • K

TommyD Win   £17.02   £17.02
TommyD Return   £16.37 £1.38 £33.39

Comments

• edited October 2010
    ok could you have got away from 2 of them? obviously hand 2 i wasnt ballsy enough, ended up down £22 overall which isnt too bad considering phil & tommy @ the table no disrespect to the others. also any of those playing can you give me any advice on my game? either pm or on here please just trying to stick to cash for a little while while i got a bit in here

hand1)
    TommyD Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £19.99
    phil12uk Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £19.85
      Your hole cards

YOUNG_GUN Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £19.61
    LML Raise   £1.60 £2.15 £18.25
    TommyD Fold        
    phil12uk Fold        
    YOUNG_GUN Call   £1.20 £3.35 £18.41
    Flop

YOUNG_GUN Check        
    LML Bet   £3.35 £6.70 £14.90
    YOUNG_GUN Raise   £7.70 £14.40 £10.71
    LML All-in   £14.90 £29.30 £0.00
    YOUNG_GUN Fold        
    LML Show

LML Win   £17.35   £17.35
    LML Return   £10.55 £1.40 £27.90
    8     £33.39
  • edited October 2010
    donkeyplop Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £39.47
    LML Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £20.63
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

TommyD Fold        
    X3r000 Fold        
    phil12uk Fold        
    YOUNG_GUN Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £21.40
    donkeyplop Fold        
    LML Raise   £1.20 £1.75 £19.43
    YOUNG_GUN Raise   £2.70 £4.45 £18.70
    LML Raise   £5.40 £9.85 £14.03
    YOUNG_GUN All-in   £18.70 £28.55 £0.00
    LML All-in   £14.03 £42.58 £0.00
    YOUNG_GUN Unmatched bet   £1.07 £41.51 £1.07
    LML Show
    • K
    • K

YOUNG_GUN Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

Turn

River

LML Win Two Pairs, Kings and 9s £40.11   £40.11
  • edited October 2010
    looking back hand 1 & 2 were terrible, 3 cooler??

Hand 1) was commited so should have called but felt lml was very strong
    hand 2) I didnt think Tommy had anything which was correct just couldnt pull the trigger
    hand 3) Cooler but at any point could anyone have got of this baring in mind its LML who is aggro and loves AJ :P

Rest of game i think played ok but thats the problem you play 2 or 3 hands wrong against good players and you get punished
  • edited October 2010
    hand 1) Once you flat the 3 bet pre and raise the flop you cannot fold it's pretty much that simple.
    hand 2) Fold pre - although I guess you can set mine for his stack. Once you miss just fold.
    hand 3) Cooler considering she showed up with 6s before. The 5 bet is pretty strong though.

• edited October 2010
    Thank you pryce spot on analysis, just trying to iron out my cash game. hopefully philuk, Tommy, Donkey or LML read this and send me a pm of any bad things i did etc

here to learn..... anymore?

P.S playing with these people for 1hour and half and only 1 buy in down and bit thats not too bad i dont mind as i learnt a bit and was good fun
  • edited October 2010
    First one is fine, coz LM is nutz. This makes the third one fine, coz LM is nutz.

Keep saying I dont like getting 100xbb in pre with JJ/QQ, let alone 200xbb! But again, it's ok, coz LM is nutz.

To fold the 22's pre to a 3 bet 240xbb deep wud be nittier than donkeyplops level of nittyness. You can call 1 time on that flop against most opponents, but you know tommy is gonna keep the pressure on on the turn. Against weaker players you can call flop, and wait for their check on the turn, then fire out and take it down.

What was the thinking behind the raise?

• edited October 2010
    I raised because i thought he was weak, which was half true although had ak didnt have any of the board

didnt want to just flat flop as would rather just win there and then as would rather no more cards as be hard to know where i was at. the size was my way of putting pressure on him but it didnt work so folded, most people i wouldnt make this bet as i know tommy has very wide range of hands and likely c betting the flop thought i would take it down there. usually will not go any further with 2s just a bluff really based on how strong i thought tommy was
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: 3 problem hands last night in fun game:
    First one is fine, coz LM is nutz. This makes the third one fine, coz LM is nutz. Keep saying I dont like getting 100xbb in pre with JJ/QQ, let alone 200xbb! But again, it's ok, coz LM is nutz. To fold the 22's pre to a 3 bet 240xbb deep wud be nittier than donkeyplops level of nittyness. You can call 1 time on that flop against most opponents, but you know tommy is gonna keep the pressure on on the turn. Against weaker players you can call flop, and wait for their check on the turn, then fire out and take it down. What was the thinking behind the raise?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I was going to ask about that with this hand from same game!

Would you of called to see a flop then rather than get it all in pre???

My concern was if I called and any over card came I could of got bullied off of my hand.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    LML Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £19.85
    TommyD Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £26.68
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

RMR80 Fold        
    phil12uk Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £30.23
    YOUNG_GUN Call   £0.40 £0.95 £36.67
    donkeyplop Raise   £1.60 £2.55 £18.27
    LML Fold        
    TommyD Raise   £5.00 £7.55 £21.68
    phil12uk Fold        
    YOUNG_GUN Fold        
    donkeyplop Raise   £10.50 £18.05 £7.77
    TommyD All-in   £21.68 £39.73 £0.00
    donkeyplop All-in   £7.77 £47.50 £0.00
    TommyD Unmatched bet   £6.91 £40.59 £6.91
    TommyD Show
    • K
    • A

donkeyplop Show
    • J
    • J

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• Q

donkeyplop Win Two Pairs, Queens and Jacks £39.19   £39.19
  • edited October 2010
    1 and 2 you couldnt play worse if u tried -

1. why are raising that flop, i assume its to find out where u are which u know is dire. You wont get called by worse when raising so theres no value in doing so, if you look at her bet sizing you can flat and shes left with a PSB on turn which u call off on any card basically as you think shes weak. So i either fold flop or call/call.

raise/fold is just ridic given the pot odds

2. prety much identical to hand 1, again you either fold flop or flat and play a turn but that flop hits a 3betters range pretty hard and playing 22 down the streets against an agro villain wont be easy or profitable so a fold is best
  • edited October 2010
    i agree lynx cheers for the advce hence why i have posted these are only 3 hands i played bad but will cost you against good players.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah 2nd hand id call to hit set but once you miss that should be the end imo.
  • edited October 2010
    I raised because i thought he was weak, which was half true although had ak didnt have any of the board didnt want to just flat flop as would rather just win there and then as would rather no more cards as be hard to know where i was at. the size was my way of putting pressure on him but it didnt work so folded, most people i wouldnt make this bet as i know tommy has very wide range of hands and likely c betting the flop thought i would take it down there. usually will not go any further with 2s just a bluff really based on how strong i thought tommy was
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Thing is that flop connects with so much of his 3 betting range so putting pressure on him ain't gonna work, especially if he's willing to stack off with a gutshot and two overs.
  • edited October 2010
    i understand that im not justifying it, i was responding to dohhhh's question thats all. I dont think he was willing to stack of with overs & gutshot he basically read what i had and wanted is happy with the fold from me.

Same donkey as i have said would 95% of time fold if didnt hit after this but as against tommyd, i understand it could have hit his 3 betting range but i personally thought he had missed which was correct and i still think my fold is right as i didnt want to go to showdown with a pair of 2s, i wanted him to fold. come on tommy would love your input on this as the play was opponent specific
  • edited October 2010
    Young Gun, really glad you posted these hands, they are perfect for the Clinic.

Hand 2 (our hand) is a question of levels.  This might read confusing but hopefully I can explain it:

Preflop - You know that I don't need a premium hand to 3bet pre, however I know that you know this.  After you flat I have you on slowplaying big pairs, set mining with middle pairs, maybe suited cons.  I feel it's more unlikely you have 2nd level broadway cards (KQ, KJ etc) as I think you are more likely to fourbet/fold with these holdings.

Flop - The board comes down very unconnected and very much in the raisers camp.  I know that you know that I will fire on the flop and turn so I don't think you raise here more often than you flat if you have that monster (it's a great board to slow play).  I know you know that I will c-bet a high portion of the time so took your raise as a bluff and acted accordingly.  Sometimes it's just a race to see who can get to the all in button first.  In your position I would have probably gotten out of the way pre.  If I chose to turn my hand into a bluff I would have been a little more subtle about it and probably floated to try and represent huge strength.  The downside of this of course would be if the Jack hit the turn, but what's life without a little risk.

In conclusion, it's all about what I know that you know that I know that you know.  Simples.

Well played last night by the way, hoping for more of those kinds of sessions soon.

• edited October 2010
    Young Gun, really glad you posted these hands, they are perfect for the Clinic. Hand 2 (our hand) is a question of levels.  This might read confusing but hopefully I can explain it: Preflop - You know that I don't need a premium hand to 3bet pre, however I know that you know this.  After you flat I have you on slowplaying big pairs, set mining with middle pairs, maybe suited cons.  I feel it's more unlikely you have 2nd level broadway cards (KQ, KJ etc) as I think you are more likely to fourbet/fold with these holdings. Flop - The board comes down very unconnected and very much in the raisers camp.  I know that you know that I will fire on the flop and turn so I don't think you raise here more often than you flat if you have that monster (it's a great board to slow play).  I know you know that I will c-bet a high portion of the time so took your raise as a bluff and acted accordingly.  Sometimes it's just a race to see who can get to the all in button first.  In your position I would have probably gotten out of the way pre.  If I chose to turn my hand into a bluff I would have been a little more subtle about it and probably floated to try and represent huge strength.  The downside of this of course would be if the Jack hit the turn, but what's life without a little risk. In conclusion, it's all about what I know that you know that I know that you know.  Simples. Well played last night by the way, hoping for more of those kinds of sessions soon.
    Posted by TommyD
    Cheers tommy great insight very glad you have commented on this, just shows your a level ahead of me at the mo but i will be there...... Yeah was great game last night mate and look forward to another game soon. as for my bet just thinking does look very bluffy lol i didnt really react to my image here did i lol oh well live and learn thanks for the lesson mate appreciate it :o)
  • edited October 2010
    i havent played with him much but i seriously doubt young gun is 4bet bluffing with KQ KJ QJ preflop.

postflop is super spew in 1&2 for reasons lynx stated.

just bc LML is 3bet bluffing 774r with 66 doesnt mean she is 5betting preflop light
  • edited October 2010
    lol you have you not played lml?
  • edited October 2010
    Plus points in playing 22   you flop a set or fold, easy to play. Calling against aggro opponent, turn and river always bringing overcards and you're playing a guessing game for all your money - not good

Bad point playing 22 your gteed to flop bottom set, sometimes costly

PLs dont think I'm being too critical of your play against what I'ld classify as borderline maniacs, dont think you did much wrong except folding 99 after getting a third of your stack in.

I'ld just give more consideration to check calling and keeping pot small and letting them hang themselves with their aggression, rather than fighting fire with fire and making the pots so big that they are almost forced to try and outplay you.

• edited October 2010
    i havent played with him much but i seriously doubt young gun is 4bet bluffing with KQ KJ QJ preflop. postflop is super spew in 1&2 for reasons lynx stated. just bc LML is 3bet bluffing 774r with 66 doesnt mean she is 5betting preflop light
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Hi LOL_Raise

I probably didn't make myself clear.  I was stated I didn't think YG would flat with such holdings, he would either fold or raise.  I admit I believe he would fold much more than he would 4bet, but I do think he could 4bet with those holdings if he believed I have 3bet with air and turn these holdings into essentially a bluff.
  • edited October 2010
    Hey young gun when 22 works :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DHB2008 Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £2.40
    xxx
    Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £7.92
      Your hole cards

yappster Raise   £0.16 £0.28 £15.07
    MP33 Raise   £0.32 £0.60 £28.27
    donkeyplop Call   £0.32 £0.92 £15.30
    DHB2008 Fold        
    xxx
    Call   £0.24 £1.16 £7.68
    yappster Call   £0.16 £1.32 £14.91
    Flop

xxx
    Bet   £0.32 £1.64 £7.36
    yappster Fold        
    MP33 Call   £0.32 £1.96 £27.95
    donkeyplop Raise   £2.60 £4.56 £12.70
    xxx
    All-in   £7.36 £11.92 £0.00
    MP33 Fold        
    donkeyplop Call   £5.08 £17.00 £7.62
    xxx
    Show

donkeyplop Show

Turn

River

donkeyplop Win Full House, 2s and 7s £15.73   £23.35
  • edited October 2010
    jog on donkey you got lucky ;o)
  • edited October 2010
    ffs bev im meant to be the one with the set mining leak!!!
  • edited October 2010
    ffs bev im meant to be the one with the set mining leak!!!
    Posted by theneons

Mine wasnt going after the set it was trying to take down the pot ;o)
  • edited October 2010
    Hand one 1: Fully understand your fold here as LML re raised pre however i would call with that board she could be making that move with AK sorry AJ!!
    Hand 2: Set mine then slow play you twos! Sounds odd but you could flat that bet on the flop with that board you will then be able to apply your pressure on the turn which will make your move look more like strength than bluffing! e.g. if ur happy to raise the amount you did split it down make the call and then raise the turn to any card except AK as there the two overs to the board. Or just check fold the flop i prefer the first option tho.
    Hand 3: Money was going in anyway you play this hand, you could only get away when the £5.70 raise comes in pre but then again its LML so not many players folding.

PM me when next one of these occurs younggun i would love to play against these players
  • edited October 2010
    Hand one 1: Fully understand your fold here as LML re raised pre however i would call with that board she could be making that move with AK sorry AJ!! Hand 2: Set mine then slow play you twos! Sounds odd but you could flat that bet on the flop with that board you will then be able to apply your pressure on the turn which will make your move look more like strength than bluffing! e.g. if ur happy to raise the amount you did split it down make the call and then raise the turn to any card except AK as there the two overs to the board. Or just check fold the flop i prefer the first option tho. Hand 3: Money was going in anyway you play this hand, you could only get away when the £5.70 raise comes in pre but then again its LML so not many players folding. PM me when next one of these occurs younggun i would love to play against these players
    Posted by Batkin88

well summed up, especially the second hand i like your reasoning behind them all

I will drop you a pm next time likewise if your in it they are good fun :P
  • edited October 2010
    Batkin you play against me all the time ;)
  • edited October 2010
    i do and im still waiting for u to call one of my bluffs DP lol