You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I am staying.........but........

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat

The exodus of players leaving this site for various reasons is thought for concern IMO. However, as it seems that 'traffic' is currently still on the upwards trend, and the majority of the players leaving are micro players, are Sky Poker really concerned??

The introduction of the new Sky Poker Team will IMO alienate more and more 'smaller' players and create a cash v tournament debate which will rumble on and on.

Despite best intentions, requests/comments/etc etc are not always being addressed and/or replied to or sorted by Sky.

The above are my personnel views of the site ATM and for those reasons and a few others, that is why I am playing more and more on other sites.

I will OFC always be around the forum  but not play as much on here anymore.

Anyone else staying but playing their poker mainly on other sites????
I would be interested from hearing from some of the larger BR players on here what their Sky Poker/other sites percentage split is.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    i have played other sites and done well on some.
    i am what you would call a small br but thats ok by me as i am up on sky,
    there will always be bad bets no matter were you play and also so some comments will always upset someone.
    but i do believe that sky is one of the better sites around the forum is great and so are the players
    i certainly have made more friends here than any other site and i think the reason for this is that we are a smaller community compared to many other sites.

but on the other hand i do agree with you max on the point that
    (Despite best intentions, requests/comments/etc etc are not always being addressed and/or replied to or sorted by Sky.)

so on this i would suggest that sky pull there socks up and listen to there players as after all with out us there would be no sky poker.

• edited October 2010
    Bang goes the rebuy/add on Updates ;(

Sorry to hear that Alan good luck to you

• edited October 2010

For avoidance of doubt, I am actually 'in profit' on Sky Poker and over time have come to handle 'variance' so my post was in no way a 'oh woe is me, I carn't take the bad beats no more'
  • edited October 2010
    I think you will find its the same on all sites Alan, the only difference here is because Sky is a smaller site than most with a tightly nit community when things like people leaving gets announced its all blown out of proportion. For some of us its like friends leaving and we wonder why? If you posted of Full Tilt or Stars that you were sick to the back teeth of bad beats and were leaving you would probably either not get a reply or people would just laugh at you and tell you to close the door on your way out.

Remember a time where the highest level game played on the site was 300nl? Look at it now, people sat at 5,000nl and regular games being played at 1000nl. This site has improved massively with the structure/choice of tournaments, and once the download comes there will be a massive boost of players.

The cash/tournament divide you talk about is there same everywhere in poker, always has and always will, poker players are strong minded, have strong beliefs and don't like being told what they do is wrong.

As for TSP, well the quarterly MTT will consist of 30 mtt, 30 stt and 30 cash players, so they all have an equal chance of making TSP. All the players at the moment are probably cash based which is why its got a few peoples backs up, but as soon as a regular and popular MTT or STT player makes the team there will be love and kisses all round again
  • edited October 2010
    Team Sky Poker makes no change from the previous poker league promotion, in the sense that only the guys on the site that played a lot of volume were rewarded.

In fact actually it makes it easier for someone to break in as before it used to be top 10/month, now it is top 30/quarter.  As the top 10 rarely changes on a month to month basis it will be easier for people to be rewarded.

If this was a negative move, felt by large sections of the community, then there would have been a lot larger reaction on the forum.  The negative reaction is very, very small and compared to the amount of new users that it will bring to the site it is nothing.

As for you assumption that micro players are now leaving, where is your evidence?  A few people on the forum who have left for a couple of days?  Please stop trying to make something out of nothing.  And all money in the poker community moves upwards....this site couldn't have successful mid/high stakes games without a very healthy micro stakes userbase.

It seems that some people are still throwing their toys out of the pram over Team Sky Poker, and actually don't understand why they are doing it.  There is absoultley no reason to be annoyed about this IF it does not affect you.  If you didn't play the volume to hit the top 10 before then how does this change your playing experience on Sky?  It won't affect your cash for points/the technical service levels/the level of rake you pay/the choice of games etc.

With regards to your feelings that concerns aren't being addressed by Sky....well why the hell should they, if they are on things that hvae nothing to do with you? As I said on a thread earlier this week, Sky have given us this excellent community and people seem to have taken it for granted.  They think they have some kind of ownership of the site and that their feedback is important.  Well it isn't important on certain things.  On certain things its counterproductive.  On certain things its unwelcome.....

Sky Poker is part of a multi-national multi-billion pound conglomerate.  Don't forget that.
  • edited October 2010

Hi Alan (MAXALLY),

I have to respond to a few points there.

When incorrect things are Posted, it's amazing how quickly they gain currency. We saw that last week, when someone Posted, as to TSP, "so this replaces Total Player, which is very sad", soon others were nodding in agreement. In fact, Total Player, which is community-based, has never been threatened with removal, & will almost certainly return (the return date was debated at length in a Management Meeting yesterday), & I explained all that in the last few days.

"Exodus of players". There is no exodus of either players, or Community Members. The numbers of both are measured precisely, every day, & every week, & both remain on strong upward trends. People come & go, of course they do, all the time, that's natural churn, but the graphs are ALL heading north.

Comments not always addressed? On the Forum, no, & it was never designed to be a Customer Care Forum. ALL enquiries to Customer Care ARE answered, though. And ALL comment & feedback IS monitored - I get a "Feedback Monitoring Report" every month, which runs to thousands of comments, & all are perused & considered. It's just not feasible, or practical, to employ an army of Staff to answer every forum Question though. As Mr Page & Mr Brin (the google founders) adopted as their mantra, "all things need to be scale-able". We do, however, try to address as many as possible, & the serious ones, as you well know.

Nobody in their right mind would suggest you or anyone else is obliged to play ALL your poker here - that's not the goal, & it's good for all of us to have a littl poker variety, & competition.

There is no expectation of pleasing all the players, all the time. TSP is what it is - can you imagine the reaction if we were like 'Stars, or Tilt, & signed up Boris Becker, & Audley Harrison? We did not - we signed up "home" players, players we are all familiar with from their play here at Sky Poker.

Sky Poker is a long way short of perfect, nobody would say otherwise. But it will continue to try to develop it's site, including the Community, & I don't believe any Online Poker Site on earth invests as much in it's Community as Sky Poker do. Having said that, it's inevitable that people will come & go, no matter how hard Sky Poker try. As an example, you will know that a very popular Community Member signalled their intention not to Post here anymore as of yesterday. This morning, I have replied to, & written, over 50 e-Mails/Facebook questions on that one matter. Why? Because we care. What I have NOT done is fan the flames by hooting & hollering about it "on Forum", because to do so is counter-productive.

Take care now.

PS - I have not ignored your TSP e-Mail - I'm inundated at present, but also, I've elevated the Question to Suit Level, to see what their view is. It's in hand, & I'll get back to you when I have a clear answer.

• edited October 2010

If you play poker seriously/to make money, then you'd be mad to leave sky, as the %age of strong players at each level is alot lower here than on the main sites. (which obviously means there's loads more fish).

If the reason you play is for fun, then there's obviously more choice elsewhere, with mixed games, diff formats, more mtts etc etc. 

Just had 10 days away from sky recently and it did me the world of good, came back in gr8 form and had a 1k week at 30nl. I just use other sites to freshen things up. 

A change is better than a break imo!
  • edited October 2010
    i am one of the micro players who is considering "leaving". But not permanently. More to do with having a break as the poker gods are dead set against me at present. don't know what I've done but it must have been bad!
    Problem is people post in the "heat" of it and so sometimes do so without having thought through what they are saying. They don't like losing their money (who does) and even a small buy in at the micro levels can seem like a big deal at the time,especially if it keeps happening.  I don't think I'll ever leave permanently as I like the banter here. I've never considered playing elsewhere and I like the things they do here (like the Premiership).
    My tuppence worth!
  • edited October 2010
    I LOVE SKY POKER
    I LOVE SKY POKER
    I LOVE SKY POKER
    I LOVE SKY POKER
    I LOVE SKY POKER
    I LOVE SKY POKER
    I LOVE SKY POKER

im only a inee weeeny player but i only play on sky now! tyred lots of others but always end up here its GREAT
  • edited October 2010

I have to go now, as I have something to attend to. :)

Have a good afternoon, & good luck to all who play tonight, in the Thursdy night jobbie, or anything else, be it here at Sky Poker, or wherever.

Always remember this. ANY of us who play poker are lucky to be able to do so, many cannot afford to. We are, mostly, recreational players, meaning we play for fun.

When it stops being fun, we should stop playing. When it's fun, play on.

Poker players have an amazing ability to moan & groan, but really, wherever we choose or decide to play, life's pretty good, othewise we'd not be playing poker.

xx
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: I am staying.........but........:
    If you play poker seriously/to make money, then you'd be mad to leave sky, as the %age of strong players at each level is alot lower here than on the main sites. (which obviously means there's loads more fish). If the reason you play is for fun, then there's obviously more choice elsewhere, with mixed games, diff formats, more mtts etc etc.  Just had 10 days away from sky recently and it did me the world of good, came back in gr8 form and had a 1k week at 30nl. I just use other sites to freshen things up.  A change is better than a break imo!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    jeez dohhhhhh! a serious post!
    my view is the same,people are leaving the site because its "full of bad players/fish"?
    if that the case let them go off and play the sharks......

as for team sky poker i think its a great idea,how many players have sat at their pc and thought "wish i had a chance to be a pro"?
    well now you have!
    my bankroll plus lack of hours in the day means i will not be in the top 30 of any of the leagues in the near future,but i wish all the best to anyone who becomes a tsp member(im sure you will get your chance)

when tsp gets established im sure they will be buying a few members into high profile tournies decked out in sky gear which will be great exposure for them!

gl,dave
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Alan

I'v been playing my poker on another site for a while now but thats more to do with my br being much better there

This site is still one of the best around for the forum and is a constant source of entertainment for me

btw

check you inbox
  • edited October 2010
    Players do go from site to site, but Sky is probably the only place where it is so easy to air your views.

Over the last few months I have played on Full Tilt, Poker Stars, Party Poker and Gala. But if I have any issues and maybe decide to leave any of these for any reason, I cant make a public announcement about it.

Sometimes I  may play more on one site than another due to bonus offers etc. Similarly I may not play on one for months because of bad beats,or a run of poor form.

However I will always be around on Sky. I cant say I always agree with every decision they make, sometimes I speak out and sometimes I keep my own counsel.

But where else can an ambitious player have so much to look forward to ?

I am really jealous of the guys in TSP, but there is a chance of anyone getting in there.

I cant wait for 2011 Vegas qualifiers to start, having been there once I have to make it again.

A new improved Total Player promotion? Bring it on ! I am up for that.

After a patchy year at SPTs I want to do better.

Isnt it great to have a choice ?

Tony

• edited October 2010
    Players do go from site to site, but Sky is probably the only place where it is so easy to air your views . Over the last few months I have played on Full Tilt , Poker Stars , Party Poker and Gala . But if I have any issues and maybe decide to leave any of these for any reason , I cant make a public announcement about it. Sometimes I  may play more on one site than another due to bonus offers etc. Similarly I may not play on one for months because of bad beats,or a run of poor form. However I will always be around on Sky. I cant say I always agree with every decision they make, sometimes I speak out and sometimes I keep my own council. But where else can an ambitious player have so much to look forward to ? I am really jealous of the guys in TSP, but there is a chance of anyone getting in there. I cant wait for 2011 Vegas qualifiers to start, having been there once I have to make it again. A new improved Total Player promotion? Bring it on ! I am up for that. After a patchy year at SPTs I want to do better. Isnt it great to have a choice ? Tony
    Posted by penguin7
    Thank you Tony for taking the time to post this. You are one of only a few who understood my post I think. I play on full tilt and 888 and of course Sky. 
    I have no where critised in the slightest TSP and I am fully 100 % supportive of it but others have taken my comments out of context, I think. 

Regards,

Alan
  • edited October 2010

I agree with a lot of things you say,except the 'fun part',the vast majority who play 'poker' on here or elsewhere play simply to make money. If it was about fun you would'nt get all the whingeing posts about 'bad beats etc'. A lot of the players take it very seriously,' Holdem Manager ' making notes about other players etc etc, I may be one of the few who think it's just a fun game,because if (usually all the time lol ) I lose it does'nt matter,it's just a larf.                         Kind regards
  • edited October 2010
    hi alan, i to used to play 100% on sky for over 2yrs and loved it, great forum great live events (spt). recently i have taken my business ( very small) to another site, again due to building a br there. being playing £10/ £20 hu and 1k freezeouts and playing well (ish). just cant seem to get it together here for the last 3mnths.(stugglin at £2 hu). will always be with sky and play 10% of my poker here, but as things stand, sky is my lover not my wife!