You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Three aces

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what you do on this flop, i love the fact i hit top set obviously and i was hoping he'd caught some of it as well. Is this board to wet to check, and does it look suspicious checking when you've raised so much pre?

I had made alot of notes on this guy, something along the lines of 'calls 3bets with JQ,AJ, KQ, KJ etc' and 'only three bets premium hands like AA, KK, QQ' -  so with his range of calling hands pre he could of hit that and another note i had (based on around an hours worth of play) was ' bets when checked to by pre-flop raiser'..basically i think i had my oppo all sussed out, so is checking here an acceptable play as the only card that scares me on the turn is a spade..
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
APRIL49 Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £7.66
christiann Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £9.10
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

davecrow27 Call   £0.08 £0.20 £4.04
Agarwaen Fold        
scousebull22 Fold        
x Raise   £0.40 £0.60 £12.36
APRIL49 Fold        
christiann Raise   £1.60 £2.20 £7.50
davecrow27 Fold        
x Call   £1.28 £3.48 £11.08
Flop

• J
  • A

christiann  

Comments

• edited October 2010
    People will probably have different opinions on this but I would always bet out, you without doubt have the best hand post flop, but you want to keep it that way. It's flushing and straightening, I'd bet 2.60 or something along the lines of that, he could easily have QK or waiting for a spade. And if he calls post flop, bet much bigger on the turn, i.e. if pot is 6 squid, bet 5 or above, try and end the hand there and then! 
  • edited October 2010
    percival we have topset why do we want villain to fold?

if the flop was A82ss then id rather check call, as it is he will hit Jx quite alot based on the read you have of him calling 3bets QJ KJ etc and even KQ might peel the flop so thgeres lots of value in betting

your preflop raise is huge btw should make it less when you move up stakes or it will be super easy to read.

i would bet 1.80 and shove the turn
  • edited October 2010

I am betting this flop, like half pot or something. keep him in. Hopefully he has got J or something and will continue to pay you off.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Three aces:
    percival we have topset why do we want villain to fold? if the flop was A82ss then id rather check call, as it is he will hit Jx quite alot based on the read you have of him calling 3bets QJ KJ etc and even KQ might peel the flop so thgeres lots of value in betting your preflop raise is huge btw should make it less when you move up stakes or it will be super easy to read. i would bet 1.80 and shove the turn
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

Cheers for your thoughts guys, LOL_RAISE, i realise the raise was massive and i never usually pop it up that much, but i was confident he'd call..he probably woulda called an all in lol.
  • edited October 2010
    Maybe the 2.60 was a bit extreme, but i'd certainly be betting 2 ... Whether I hit the flop or not, If i decide to make a continuation bet, I tend to make it a good amount, which makes it confusing for your opponents to know whether you have it or you don't. But obviously people play differently! 
  • edited October 2010
    reason why i bet smaller is because  i will be bluffing alot here and it makes my bluff cheaper, since the pot is already big preflop as we 3bet we donot need to bet as in a normal single raised pot to get the stacks in by the river