You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

thought i was trapping with AA

playing .25/.50 and i am sitting with about £90.  new player has just joined the table and is in the big blind and im pretty sure he is weak and has a wide range pre flop

i am under the gun and dealt AA and raise to £2.50....i have built an image as an aggressive player and my raises have been getting very little respect.

folds round to the big  blind who has £44 and flat calls.

the flop comes 3 5 7 rainbow and it is checked to me....i bet just under pot £4 making the pot ~ £9
villain flat calls

turn brings an 8 which makes 2 hearts on board.  villain checks, i check thinking this isnt a great card for my hand

the river brings the 3 of hearts putting 3 hearts on the board and pairing the 3.  board reads 3 5 7 8 3
i like this card for my hand as it counterfeits all 2 pair type hands and keeps me ahead of any overpairs.  i also dont see my opponent having a 3 although this should make a small % of his range.

villain bets out the flop for £5.  i tank and make it £13 looking to get value out of my hand.  villain insta shoves for another ~£17

i know i have made a mistake on the river and prob should have just flat called but how would you play the river shove?

ill post in a couple of days with hw i played it

Comments

• edited June 2009
    In Response to thought i was trapping with AA:
    playing .25/.50 and i am sitting with about £90.  new player has just joined the table and is in the big blind and im pretty sure he is weak and has a wide range pre flop i am under the gun and dealt AA and raise to £2.50....i have built an image as an aggressive player and my raises have been getting very little respect. folds round to the big  blind who has £44 and flat calls. the flop comes 3 5 7 rainbow and it is checked to me....i bet just under pot £4 making the pot ~ £9 villain flat calls turn brings an 8 which makes 2 hearts on board.  villain checks, i check thinking this isnt a great card for my hand the river brings the 3 of hearts putting 3 hearts on the board and pairing the 3.  board reads 3 5 7 8 3 i like this card for my hand as it counterfeits all 2 pair type hands and keeps me ahead of any overpairs.  i also dont see my opponent having a 3 although this should make a small % of his range. villain bets out the flop for £5.  i tank and make it £13 looking to get value out of my hand.  villain insta shoves for another ~£17 i know i have made a mistake on the river and prob should have just flat called but how would you play the river shove? ill post in a couple of days with hw i played it
    Posted by huuuuume
    There's £48 in the pot and you need another £17 to call. Do you have a 35% chance of winning? I doubt it. There is no way he just has a 8.
    Your bet on the flop was a standard c-bet and virtually meaningless. I think the 8 on the turn hit him big and he was hoping to check-raise.
    His £5 into the £13 on the river looks like a value bet to lure you in.

Analysing it afterwards, I'm pretty sure you're beaten. But in the heat of battle I would have called.

Clear call in a tourney with any kind of stack by the way.

• edited June 2009

Definate crying call.  Ur losing to prob full house who hopes u've caught up with a flush. As you said, check on river woulda saved u all this hassle. PS well done on final table last sunday.

• edited June 2009

The chance of the turn 8 making him 2 pair is pretty slim on 25/50 im betting near the pot on the turn esp if, as u say, he is a weak player and liable to call with holdings that u have crushed like A7 or pkt 9s etc. When u check behind on the turn, not to trap but because it scares you, there is no way you can raise the river. 

I think you scared yourself unduly with the turn 8, it doesnt really complete any draws and thinking he has turned 2 pair is just too cautious.  If he has flopped a set on you in a pot that was heads up to the flop then you should pay him off, its unlikely that he has better than you a huge % of the time.

Im calling £17 into a pot of £70 odd he could have 78 an overpair or nothing but obv you are beaten a lot here.

• edited June 2009
    Easy call for pot odds better than 4/1 on the call, cant fold
  • edited June 2009

i tanked and folded.....he showed 6 4 for the flopped straight....love it when my raises get respect lol

• edited June 2009
    Oh he got his games mixed up, went to skypoker when he wanted skybingo.
  • edited June 2009
    i never  slow play  aces  not  worth  it  had  my fingers  burnt to many times  goood raise  pre flop   but  on flop  i would  have  pump  them  not  won as much  not  lossed   un less he was  a  lunatic